Water Pump

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimmy

MB Enthusiast
Car
Discovery 3 TDV6, Discovery 300TDi - Plaything!
I have noticed a rattling noise from the front end of the engine along with a vibration at 3000-3500rpm. This started about a week ago. I got a friend to have a quick look and he suspected the water pump or fan belt tensioner pulley.

We removed the belt and started the engine, the noise was gone. We could also feel a fair bit of movement in the water pump pulley.

The dealer has agreed to have a look and will probably fix it on warranty, but they can't do it until the 21st.

I can get a water pump and my mate to help fit it for £50 all in, what would you do? Fix it yourself, wait for the dealer to do it, or insist they do it quicker?:crazy:

Don't know what to do.............

up to you, it's only noise so either put up with it or... get the dealer to do it (and wait)..

just make sure they are competent enough - or spend the nifty.

I say get the dealer to do it, why should they get away with it? I'm fairly sure a water pump will continue to work for a long time after the bearings get noisy.

If its not leaking now - it soon will be!

Water pump seals are only designed to seal the pump when the bearings are fine - as the pump shaft starts to move - so the seal will leak.

Leaking water pump could cost an awful lot more than 50 notes if it overheats and kills the head gasket!

Do it now - make up a bill for more than it costs (for the inconvenience) and give the bill to the dealer !

Mark

Do it now - make up a bill for more than it costs (for the inconvenience) and give the bill to the dealer !

I like the way you think Mark;)

I am thinking I will do just that, I am just worried that they won't pay for a non-genuine pump. Suppose I could find out how much a genuine pump is and go from there.

Originally posted by jimmy
I like the way you think Mark;)

I am thinking I will do just that, I am just worried that they won't pay for a non-genuine pump. Suppose I could find out how much a genuine pump is and go from there.

You could suggest they supply the pump - and £60 towards fitting and you will "pay the rest - whatever it comes to" :)

Then you have enough money over to pay for a small session down the pub as a thank you !

The argument with the dealer - is the one stated above - you have a fear of the pump failing, but need the car every day for your business !!

Mark

Jimmy,

Let us know how you get on / what you decide to do etc, and keep ane eye on that Temp guage.

The dealer has agreed to have a look and will probably fix it on warranty, but they can't do it until the 21st.

Surely your warranty has run out now on a 1999 motor?

If not get the dealer to fix it, because if it doesn't solve it you haven't lost anything, and the dealer will still have to find the problem and rectify.

Originally posted by Black180
Jimmy,

Let us know how you get on / what you decide to do etc, and keep ane eye on that Temp guage.

I am starting to get a bit worried now with all this talk of leaks, overheating and head gaskets. I will probably order the new pump tomorrow anyway and have it ready to fit if I need to, looks an easy job so may well do it myself.

Surely your warranty has run out now on a 1999 motor?

I am pretty sure it came with a years warranty when I bought it in May, so by principal I would like to get the dealer to fix it. On the other hand I would prefer to have less grief and messing about driving to Leicester having a bl@@dy A-class courtesy car and just fix it myself.

I will speak to the service bloke tomorrow and see if they can do it this week as I am going to Brighton on Thursday and Debyshire at the weekend and want it sorted before then. If they can't I will ask them to pay for it to be repaired elsewhere as Mark suggested.

I will let you know what happens.

Oh dear, Oh dear!!

The inevitable has happened and it has started leaking a little bit and got much noisier.:crazy:

My friendly, helpful dealer (NOT!!) have refused to do anything about it sooner than the 21st, I had quite a heated conversation with the service manager but he flatly refused to help me out any quicker. I explained that it was now leaking and I wanted to avoid further damage but he said not to worry the warranty would cover any further damage. That is not the point in my view and it is better to avoid things rather than fix them.

So I have ordered a water pump and will fit it tonight, then set about writing a nice letter to EVANS OF LEICESTER and MB HQ.:devil: :devil:

Shame that the dealer has to spoil the pleasure of owning such a nice car.

Sorry to hear that the Dealer has let you down.

Good luck with your claim.

I have just finished fitting the new water pump. Not too difficult a job once the viscous fan was removed, that was a right pig. I had to make a special tool as per the Haynes manual.:cool:

Put the new pump on and bolted it all back together, took some time to clean the pulleys and viscous fan unit as they were all very greasy and grimy. Refilled with antifreeze and started her up.............wow what a difference, it is difficult to tell if the engine is running, just like what an MB should be.

Mine has always been noisy and when I have complained in the past the dealer just said thats the way they are. I am not at all impressed with my dealer after this water pump and spark plug fiasco!!!:devil: :devil:

Oh well it's all sorted now.

Oh dear, Oh dear!!
The inevitable has happened and it has started leaking a little bit and got much noisier.:crazy:

I have just finished fitting the new water pump. Not too difficult a job once the viscous fan was removed, that was a right pig. I had to make a special tool as per the Haynes manual.

Jimmy - at least you know it has been done correctly :)

DONT THROW THE OLD PARTS AWAY !!!!

A very strong letter of complaint could get you a refund fo the pump and the next service free or at least at a heavily reduced rate

Rover tried to screw me over on the 24k service on our previous Coupe - they picked the wrong person :mad:
They gave my pride and joy to a young mechanic - who didnt do the job properly - and he didnt even fit all the parts they had charged me for - he took the unused parts home for later !

When the car failed to start properly the following morning I looked the car over to see what they could have disturbed - then I discovered what had happened and I saw red !

After backing up my arguement with undeniable fact, I was refunded in full (£245 cash), the car was serviced again - with me watching :) - then it was fitted with new plugs and leads - (£110 worth), then I got £150 voucher off the next service - which was £180 - and I watched them do that one too :)

Hit them hard Jimmy - they really dont want the bad publicity - I agree that my situaton was slightly different as I was about to sue them for loads - but the principle remains - poor service is bad advertising - and make it clear a lot of people will hear of their after-sales service if you are not completely satisfied !

Mark

Jimmy

Any news from MB or the Stealers ?

Just interested ;)

Mark

I have phoned the dealer twice and the head man was supposed to be ringing me back...................still waiting.:mad:

I guess they can't be bothered with a lowly C180 owner so I am thinking to write to them and to MB HO, then again I might just leave it........easy option!!

I will keep you posted of any response.

then again I might just leave it........easy option!!

Jimmy, Noooo, I implore you, don’t take the easy option. You’ll make it difficult for all that follow.

I have just finished fitting the new water pump. Not too difficult a job once the viscous fan was removed, that was a right pig. I had to make a special tool as per the Haynes manual

Jimmy.

Hope this doesn't sound like bolting the door after the horse has bolted. When i did the water pump on mine the Haynes manual mentions the inevitable MB special tool, but the kindly goes on to describe the manufacture of a substitute. Well i tore my garage apart trying to find something suitable, without success!! So i borrowed my wifes car and trawled over to a mates house to reid his garage, i eventually came home armed with various bits and bobs that looked suitable. Joy of joy's i managed to get the job done.

Next day i went to use my electric drill, and what did i see in the case, you guessed it, the bit you fix on the drill body to limit the depth of the hole being drilled, this would have been perfect the day before!! needless to say i won't forget that in future.

With regards to the stealers, why don't you try the old ploy of going in there when it's busy, and make a fuss in front of the other punters?? When i used to work in a garage we had a woman customer who did this on a regular basis in order to get discount on her bill, it always worked until i became the boss, then we used to collect and deliver her car, certainly P'd on her bonfire.

All the best

Last edited:
finally got Pi$$ed of at the rattling my engine was making, turned out to be a noisey waterpump and the shock for the multibelt, car sounds soooooo quiet now, I am so happy!

GF changed it in 15 minutes flat.

Originally posted by Koolvin
finally got Pi$$ed of at the rattling my engine was making, turned out to be a noisey waterpump and the shock for the multibelt, car sounds soooooo quiet now, I am so happy!

GF changed it in 15 minutes flat.

Yes, it's amazing what a difference it made to mine.:)

I can drive into work really stealth like now and catch the staff out, as they can't hear me arrive!!:p

UPDATE

I have rung the stealer everyday this week to speak to the service manager, he is never available but get told he will ring me back.....................................................I'm still waiting.:mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom