Water softeners

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
II think removal of the "thanks", above would be appropriate Mr Dieselman...sorry............
WHAT A WALLY I AM.................:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

You can keep the thanks because the post was very informative with respect to the types of softener.

And you didn't actually say it would reduce the salt requiremet.

Anyway, thanks again for the new info..

Your explanations are great, thank you. And I will maintain my thanks!! Since i don't know anything about water softeners, any make you can suggest/recommend??
Also, are softeners any good at removing/flushing the existing build up pf scale in pipes/boiler/etc ??

This is what I have.........

http://www.kinetico.co.uk/UK/Residential+Solutions/Products/Water+Softerners/Mach+Series+2020c/
at least, the model I have is the forerunner to this model.
However, it looks basically the same. Its never gone wrong or needed anything doing to it except the obvious addition of salt tablets in 15 years. I use about one 25kg bag every 3 months.

And to answer your second point.......yes, a salt water softener WILL REMOVE ALL EXISTING TRACES OF SCALE BUILD UP. Providing of course that it hasn't furred up so much as to cause a complete blockage.
You must remember that you wont feel the FULL benefit of your softener until all the existing lime/chalk scale has been flushed away. Depending on how bad your area is and how bad your home has been affected, this can take anything between a couple of weeks to a couple of months. The time it can take is so variable, its difficult to be precise, however you will feel the benefit from day one. That I guarantee 100%. Water softeners are like dishwashers. Once you've owned one, you NEVER want to go without!

Mine died recently and within 2 weeks my wife was beating me senseless to get it fixed. I duly got chappy round who pronounced the valve gubbins well and truly dead, replacement of gubbins would be about £300 sir (whispers in my ear.....don't bother sir, go on E-Bay and get a new one for about half price compared to manufacturer direct, in fact the one you want is a Waterside Softlife Hi-Flo)...so I did, £385 (delivered inc VAT) took about an hour to swap over.

If you're handy with plumbing it's not too hard to do yourself (especially if you've got space under the sink and that's where your main cold feed enters the house), if you're not a plumbing whiz then factor in a plumber for the day to do it.

I have a Franke Tri-Flow tap, Hot/Cold and filtered, I feed the filter with un-softened water just to be sure.

As mentioned before, once you've had it you won't go back.

Regards

Jim

Another option is for all water used in the property OTHER than drinking water use collected rainwater.
Truly soft water and with a little UV filtering is drinking quality.

Could be useful in areas prone to water shortages..in fact should be made mandatory in new build houses to save using treated water for showering, washing, flushing the loo and washing the car.

Reminds me must get a pressure washer capable of drawing from the water butt.;)

Collect all your rainwater and dont let it drain away into the sewer/drain and you can get a discount on your water charges!

One other thing, Its not worth softening the water you have on the outside tap:rolleyes:

One other thing, Its not worth softening the water you have on the outside tap:rolleyes:

Generally thats very true and good advice. Softened water must NOT be used for watering plants..........
However............I do recommend using softened water to wash your car. No streaking or leathering off required for a perfect shine. Just a quick shampoo and rinse - and thats it - job done. Even in hot susnshine. :bannana:

Rain water should work for this as well, and is better for plants than tap water.

Must order jet wash....not for the plants though.:D

Just a quick update to say that following the advice given here I have purchased a few months ago a Kinetico water softener and I am very happy with it. I use 1 bag of 8kg of salt every 10 weeks or so. Thanks to all the contributors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom