Water spot removal

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by clk320x, Jun 22, 2018.

1. clk320x

clk320x MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CLK320 Coupé (209) - E320 CDI Wagon (211)
    Today I was washing my car, just ready to dry it following the final rinse.

And a stray dog approached me! So I had to attend to him to find his owner... anyway long story short My car is now covered in white water marks. Which won’t come off even after I rinsed the car again with a hose pipe.

How do I remove these?

Thanks

2. DoberMan

DoberMan Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E Class 220cdi AMG line Sport Convertible. Gone but not forgotten, 2x190E, 2xC180, 1xB180 sport.
    I've got the same problem on the door sills.
    From what I've researched so far, white vinegar diluted with water or clay bar.
    Will be doing mine soon.

clk320x likes this.
  3. Will

Will MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2004 S211 E55K AMG/1988 190E 2.3-16/1988 190E 2.5-16/2003 Porsche 911 3.6 Carrera 2 (345hp Powerkit)
    Failing that, any mild car polish will take them off. The rest will gradually wash away in the rain etc over time :)

clk320x likes this.
  4. Smart320

Smart320 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2011 ML350cdi Sport , Toyota RAV4 3 dr
    Was the dog called Spot?

5. OP
    OP
    clk320x

clk320x MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Apparently 50:50 distilled water & distilled vinegar in a spray bottle. Spray on and wipe off with a cloth.

[​IMG]

Then re-wax!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    Bobby Dazzler and DoberMan like this.
  6. wu56Shoozz

wu56Shoozz Hardcore MB Enthusiast

You'll need a passport to get over the Wall..
    Car:
    MB Vito 111CDi / W203 C Class Saloon 320CDi Avantgarde
    ... and a portion of chips and a pickled egg. :D:D:D:D

brucemillar and clk320x like this.
  7. Legacy260

Legacy260 New Member

Car:
    C63 Wagon
    Time to buy a water purifying tube from race glaze or similar suppliers. Just the gadget for rinsing cars in the sun, and no need to dry again.

Pondman likes this.
  8. optimusprime

optimusprime Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes W124 260E M103
    This can take some moving but will clear itself over time

Attached Files:

9. OP
    OP
    clk320x

clk320x MB Club Veteran

Car:
  10. optimusprime

optimusprime Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes W124 260E M103
    If water is left on the car to dry this is inevitable .Dont was the car in the heat of the sun .Wait till late evening.But if you must wash it then do it in the shade.But always dry it off after asap dont let it dry on to the paint work

11. Pondman

Pondman Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    AMG E63s Wagon
    I was lucky enough to ask for one for Christmas a couple of years back. It’s brilliant (even spotless ;) ) I have refilled it once since then but rinsing off after a soapy wash couldnt be easier. You know when the resin needs to be replaced when the spots return. I’ve recharged mine once in a couple of years detailing. And refills can be of more generic window washer resin than the RaceGlaze specific one (which is identical) and cheaper. It’s a one-off investment that saves you a shed load of effort and grief and really improves the finish after a quick valet :)

clk320x likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    clk320x

clk320x MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Will order one tonight, not cheap but worth it for convenience.

What’s the advantage of buying a larger capacity filter? Is it just that is houses more resin?

There’s a 25litre model for £299, I guess I could permanently mount this inside a recessed cupboard I have in my house. Larger capacity meaning I won’t have to change the resin for ages? Is that a reasonable price?

Graveworm and Pondman like this.
  13. JDL60

JDL60 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E63 AMG 5.5 V8 biturbo
    I’ve got the 7l one which I use infrequently - it does reduce the spotting but not eliminate ( not on a black car anyway) so don’t expect miracles

clk320x likes this.
  14. Pondman

Car:
    AMG E63s Wagon
    I too have the 7L version - no water spots here!
    Not wanting to insult, but I once fitted the hose inlet and outlet on the wrong way round and it did indeed leave water spots. I highlighted them with tipex after that as it is very easy not to see which way round they should go on. I use mine every time I wash my dark grey (Tenorite) E63s and my dark grey transit off and it leaves them spotless. I always make sure that l use a pressure washer to rinse with, as it pushes out all of the sudds from the crevasses and prevents dribbles of dirty water occurring later when driving. :)

clk320x likes this.
  15. Pondman

Car:
    AMG E63s Wagon
    The 7L version is much more portable as it is lighter and cheaper to refill when required. I only use mine on the final rinse so as to I change the hoses over from cylinder to hose to pressure washer when required. This ensures maximum life of the cleaning resin. A local system is easier to swap over than walking backwards and forwards to the garage. The 7L version is probably more stable as well as it has a lower C of G. :)

clk320x likes this.
  16. glenavy-drongo

glenavy-drongo Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK55 Cayman S Sport Ducati Diavel Harley Fat Boy
    A much cheaper and more sustainable option would be to use an RO unit, into a water butt and a submersible pump to feed the hose/power washer. Maybe a bit more of a faff, but the filters will last for several thousand litres and are around £10 to replace a set. I have used a large RO unit for my marine tank for years and can confirm their performance.

D

17. Pondman

Car:
    AMG E63s Wagon
    What are the flow rates through an RO unit?
    Some pressure washers require a good flow of water to work without hunting. My commercial Kranzel 125bar machine requires a minimum of 12L/min. Most domestic machines are 6-10L/min.

18. Will

Will MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2004 S211 E55K AMG/1988 190E 2.3-16/1988 190E 2.5-16/2003 Porsche 911 3.6 Carrera 2 (345hp Powerkit)
    I think that’s why he said to fill a water butt first?

Water butts can hold a couple of hundred litres plus - although if you’re pumping 12L a min out of it you’re going to be emptying it pretty quickly (probably still enough to wash a car though to be fair) :)

19. Pondman

Car:
    AMG E63s Wagon
    Ahh yes Will, BUT! The RO unit works through osmosis of only the water molecule through a semi-permeable membrane, thus stopping all other debris and minerals from passing through; thus creating a huge slowdown/restriction in production of flow/pure water. The flow will not increase by adding extra pressure it will only work at a certain rate. It is this afore mentioned flow rate that I’m questioning. The flow of the pump providing the pressure and flow is irrelevant to the final amount of water produced. The reason for using water butt water is that as long as it is clean, it is a lot softer and has less minerals to be filtered out. I know this as my work is aquatics.

20. Will

Will MB Club Veteran

Car:
    He’s filling a water butt from an RO unit. The water butt provides a buffer of a couple of hundred litres plus of water, this is pumped out to feed a pressure washer.

The flow rate of the RO unit is not relevant.

I have quite a good understanding of Reverse Osmosis btw :cool: