Water spot removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
He’s filling a water butt from an RO unit. The water butt provides a buffer of a couple of hundred litres plus of water, this is pumped out to feed a pressure washer.

The flow rate of the RO unit is not relevant.

I have quite a good understanding of Reverse Osmosis btw :cool:

I have a 200 gpd unit which is pumped through the system, as our pressure is relaively low. 200 gallons is c750 litres, which should be more than sufficient for any application. The system produces 0 tds, so nothing to cause spotting. Many window cleaners use RO water for this reason.

D

I too have the 7L version - no water spots here!
Not wanting to insult, but I once fitted the hose inlet and outlet on the wrong way round and it did indeed leave water spots. I highlighted them with tipex after that as it is very easy not to see which way round they should go on. I use mine every time I wash my dark grey (Tenorite) E63s and my dark grey transit off and it leaves them spotless. I always make sure that l use a pressure washer to rinse with, as it pushes out all of the sudds from the crevasses and prevents dribbles of dirty water occurring later when driving. :)
No insult perceived! You did cause me to check though so all good. No mine doesn’t move and sits next to the water tap inside the garage with the ‘in’ connected to the mains tap ( only on final rinse as you do of course) and out to the hose feeding the pressure washer. Pretty much as recommended. The top is quite easy to read ‘in’ and ‘out’ and as I say I don’t move it much.
Maybe I just got duff resin I might change it even though barely 100 litres have gone through it
I’ve also meant to get a water tester too so I need to get that

I have a 200 gpd unit which is pumped through the system, as our pressure is relaively low. 200 gallons is c750 litres, which should be more than sufficient for any application. The system produces 0 tds, so nothing to cause spotting. Many window cleaners use RO water for this reason.
I’m slightly concerned by the 70% of water filtered is sent away to waste. That does seem to be a huge proportion of the water used and an ongoing cost, small as it might be, it all adds up, environmentally and financially. Where as all water entering a DO filter is used.
Looking at both systems, I still think that the smaller DO filter is a better system due to lower environmental concerns over wasted water and you still need to replace the DO filters occasionally too, so the resin V filter cartridge replacement costs are going to be similar. Especially if you use generic resin and not the RaceGlaze supplied.
If on the other hand you also have an aquarium and have a RO unit already it seems a no brainier to use that instead. ;)

Will order one tonight, not cheap but worth it for convenience.

What’s the advantage of buying a larger capacity filter? Is it just that is houses more resin?

There’s a 25litre model for £299, I guess I could permanently mount this inside a recessed cupboard I have in my house. Larger capacity meaning I won’t have to change the resin for ages? Is that a reasonable price?
Yet again the internet solves a problem so very useful, and yet again the internet costs me money .. Thanks .. I think :)

Yet again the internet solves a problem so very useful, and yet again the internet costs me money .. Thanks .. I think :)
Agreed it isn’t a cheap bit of kit! But I hope you will think it’s worth the money when all you have to do is wash and rise off and watch the shine emerge. If I’m really going to be annul about my detailing I even blow dry the car after the final rise to stop the dribbles wetting the paint when driving an gathering grot/dust. Really good for shifting the wet out of the wheels, window surrounds and grills. ;)

Agreed it isn’t a cheap bit of kit! But I hope you will think it’s worth the money when all you have to do is wash and rise off and watch the shine emerge. If I’m really going to be annul about my detailing I even blow dry the car after the final rise to stop the dribbles wetting the paint when driving an gathering grot/dust. Really good for shifting the wet out of the wheels, window surrounds and grills. ;)
The blower I already have :)

I gave it a go this morning for the first time and it does seem to make a big difference, it took a lot of the rush out of it.

Last edited:
Might all be moot as the media is all about hosepipe bans around the corner..[emoji849]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom