Water Stains on Cabriolet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Desmond3771

Car
C-Class Cab
Hi there guys, just bought a c-class cab today (2017) and noticed it has water stains on the silver trim at the base of the roof along the top edge of the boot.( I don't know technical names as of yet lol).
So I was wondering if anyone on here knew of anyway to get rid of them? If at all possible. I bought it from Mercedes dealership, but they just tried to buffer it off which was never going to work. If it cant be removed then can the trim itself be replaced?
Hope someone can help, Thanks for taking the time to read this,
Dez.

Hi there guys, just bought a c-class cab today (2017) and noticed it has water stains on the silver trim at the base of the roof along the top edge of the boot.( I don't know technical names as of yet lol).
So I was wondering if anyone on here knew of anyway to get rid of them? If at all possible. I bought it from Mercedes dealership, but they just tried to buffer it off which was never going to work. If it cant be removed then can the trim itself be replaced?
Hope someone can help, Thanks for taking the time to read this,
Dez.
Dez, congratulations on your new car. It will almost certainly be permanently etched, caused by acidic traffic film removers (TFR). Replacement is probably the only real option available, but it probably won’t be cheap!

I've looked into this a lot and consulted a couple of body shops, who confirmed there's not a lot can be done. As per Bobby Dazzler's post, it's most likely permanent damage caused by acidic traffic film removers.
You have two options:
1. Try polishing it up by hand. I've tried with Autosol, but I suspect the linked kit will have similar results. I used blue bodyprep masking tape on the window and paint work next to the trim strip to protect during polishing. It might yield a minor improvement in appearance, which can then be maintained by appropriate paint protection e.g. decent waxes. In any event, this is unlikely to 'cure' the issue.
2. Replace all the trim strips.

Assuming
1. The dealer won’t replace it
2. It is permanently damaged
3. The new part is hellishly expensive....

Why not explore one of the chrome paints advertised online? Odds on they’re all snake oil, but maybe not.

You dont want to go playing with it yiourself, take it back and get it sorted out . As bobbydazler said above that replacment is the onlt way .And for other replies , just , remember this car is only 3 years old and i am sure Desmond wont like getting it painted or messed with .It will only make it look worse . And every time you look at the car you will see the mark right away .

Sorry if I'm late to the game but for my cills and splitters on my CLS I did Baking Soda and a Lemon in warm water (I get it pretty bad because of the roads I have to travel to get to work). Dash over it with a sponge or cleaning brush then gently went over it with a bit of tin foil (gently), then again with the sponge. Had to do it a few times but It did well. doesn't keep it off so I use Ceramic car foam after which works well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom