watercooled Alternators sound expensive ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldmerc

Car
05 S320CDI,96 E200
Driving home in my 2005 W220 CDI this evening my dash lit up with Battery charge warning visit workshop..my xmas wish is I hope a Bosch Regulator Brush kit will be a quick fix to my problem or could it be a water cooled Alternator and more cash..any ideas guys ?

Last edited:
You may be lucky here. I do not know your model but... Have a check on the back of the alternator for a regulator pack. Usually two small screws holding it in. If you have that then whip it out and check the brushes are good. Replacement of this will be a few pounds. Also check that your belts are tight and not slipping. Wet weather can cause belt slip.

Thanks for reply Bruce..the roads had some large puddles driving home but I could not hear the belt squeeling..I checked to see if Serpentine belt was still intact but the rain and wind stopped me looking further

When the alternator on my 2004 E320CDI failed, I took it out myself and brought it to Jays Electrics in Tolworth, Surrey, he only does Starters, Dynamos & Alternators. He tested it, found that it was the regulator and replace it for about £50. A year later and it is still working well. I only mention this as I see that you are in West London so he may not be that far from you.

Had a good look around..not a lot of room to even see the Alternator let alone try to pull Regulator Brushes out..seems lots of aux parts need to be removed to actually gain access to the Alternator mounting bolts.

I have no idea what it looks like under the bonnet of a W220 but on my car, I removed the electrical plug and bolts from the alternator from under the car, then from above, I removed the radiator cooling fan and the serpentine belt, then I could get the alternator out. My alternator was not water cooled. While doing my alternator, I found that there was play in the water pump bearing so as it was now easy to get at it, I decided to replace it. With the water pump out this made refitting the alternator quite easy. I then fitted the new water pump and belt.

Quick update..took vehicle to local indie Wayne Gates in Harrow..service exchange Alternator required..like to say Terry was very helpful and returned my calls over the Christmas time..price was good and an indie to recommend..thanks to all for your replys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom