Waterless Wash

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blackhammer

SUPPORTER
Car
Lexus RX450H
Evening all

I have decided to start washing my car myself as an overzealous user at my local jet wash ruined the paint on the car. The swirl marks were annoying but using pressure hose so close so that it lifted the paint, laquer means no longer trusting the place to do it.

Anyway I have the bodywork repaired and was wondering about peoples thoughts on waterless washes. It's been many years since I have washes my car and it seems things have moved on since a bucket and sponge.

I understand waterless wash is ok on a relatively clean vehicle, I intend to clean the car every week anyway, but do any detailers on here have any recommendations?

Another product that seems to get rave reviews is onr, I understand this is rinseless rather than waterless, are these products the real deal or snake oil?

Thanks in advance

Ordered the Williams 2 bottles and 2 microfiber cloths for £20 from Amazon will see how I get on

Personally I’m not confident that a waterless product is capable of washing abrasive dirt off the car without scratching. That’s not to say it’s a fact but it’s just not for me.

That said Optimum No Rinse is a product raved about on Detailing World so may be worth a look. :)

Agree.....The closest I come to waterless, is quick detailer when there is only very fine & light dust and to be honest.....I seldom even do that unless the car has been standing in the garage for a while.....

I feel the same as Alex on this one I had a bottle of Maguire’s detailing spray which after reading reviews I though would be a good idea BUT after one spray and wipe over the boot and seeing the amount of dirt on the cloth I had nightmares of scratching the car which it no doubt would have done if I had continued.

I think waterless washes and detailing sprays are designed for drier dustier climates but in the UK with damp sticky road dirty would not be a good idea.

Personally I think you would be better off thoroughly washing, polishing, glazing and waxing the car to achieve a good base which would be easier to wash and maintain thereafter.

Other products like hydrophobic snow foams, soft drying towels or air dryers could even help achieve a semi contactless wash for weekly maintenance.

This is just my personal opinion though, with owning a black car i am terrified to inflict any fine scratches but on a good day i can get around the car in about 30mins using the two bucket method and maybe once a month I spend a bit more time and top up the wax.

Why are you thinking of waterless, is it difficult to get water to the location your car is parked?

Why are you thinking of waterless, is it difficult to get water to the location your car is parked?
I can't always park right outside where I live, I don't have a power washer either. I could use a couple of buckets of water, I just wondered if there was a quicker more efficient method

Personally I’m not confident that a waterless product is capable of washing abrasive dirt off the car without scratching. That’s not to say it’s a fact but it’s just not for me.

That said Optimum No Rinse is a product raved about on Detailing World so may be worth a look. :)

The car is only really used at weekends, however because it's black, it shows every little rain drop and you can really see the dust, or maybe I am just a little fussy, or have ocd!

I understand that waterless products can't be used when the car is covered in thick mud and real tough grime

The onr product seems to get rave reviews so may try that as well.

I am in the same situation as you. I have tried these waterless stuff but they are only good if the car is not very dirty. They can lift dirt but you need a lot of the stuff to avoid causing more scratches.

I normally go to a jet wash place (£1 for 4 minutes) and do all my cleaning there. Or if I want to be thorough, I jet wash all the tough stuff out, drive it home and use my bucket and mitt.

I have been looking at portable jet washer as well, they could be a good temp solution but the bottle is quite small and doesn't hold a lot of water.

51oDj3zpKKL._SY450_.jpg

I use waterless wash products when it suits. Strangely this is usually when the car is almost spotlessly clean ;^) on my way into a show, kind of clean.

As with any paint cleaning, the eye is in the preparation. If you leave dirt on the paint, it runs the risk of scraping, as you bring a cloth over it. The only way out of this is to flood the (dirty, splattered) area and use multiple cloths.

If the car is really well cleaned, waxed and sealed in the first instance.... That makes a massive difference to being able to get dirt off with any product, including waterless products. It is all down to common sense and care really. Wilko do a great one a for a few quid a bottle. I have used it for years with no complaints and lot's of compliments.

I use the Williams W/W but only on a clean car .Very good for all the parts on the car along with rubber and glass . Not the window screen .
Used this Williams W/W for 6 months .Very fast to put on, and remove . You can do the whole car in under 1 hour .Shine is as good as any other polish .And i have polished cars and caravans for 50 years, for my self and a company .Even the wife can do hers car with Williams W / W after double hip operation . But the down side is the protection is not that good .The rain water will bead up for a short time ,but wont last long .So its a once a week polish , this is what found out ..More protection from Autoglym resin, but even that alone wont last to long without the hard shell top coat .If the car is in the garage both these polishes are ideal . A good rain water protection polish is Simonize Original Wax hard on and hard to remove but will last a lot longer.

If waterless washing is only to be used on a clean car then why would you use it? The car is already clean!

I am in the same situation as you. I have tried these waterless stuff but they are only good if the car is not very dirty. They can lift dirt but you need a lot of the stuff to avoid causing more scratches.

I normally go to a jet wash place (£1 for 4 minutes) and do all my cleaning there. Or if I want to be thorough, I jet wash all the tough stuff out, drive it home and use my bucket and mitt.

I have been looking at portable jet washer as well, they could be a good temp solution but the bottle is quite small and doesn't hold a lot of water.

51oDj3zpKKL._SY450_.jpg
I looked at that portable washer but looking at videos on YouTube the water comes out like a watering can, not enough pressure to do the arches properly. Good suggestion with jet wash though

I can't always park right outside where I live, I don't have a power washer either. I could use a couple of buckets of water, I just wondered if there was a quicker more efficient method

I'm in the same boat too i have to wash my car at work before everyone starts which i have agreed with my boss is ok.

I was reading the reveiws on these though i'm not sure how great they are but genral purpose light usage for cars, windows and what ever else one can think of they might be an option.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01NAN12FW/?tag=amazon0e9db-21

Edit:
I would like to add i have only briefly read the blurb before i get torn apart :)

My idea was to add a jerry 25ltr jerry can to a folding trolly and use that as a water source.

Last edited:
The car is only really used at weekends, however because it's black, it shows every little rain drop and you can really see the dust, or maybe I am just a little fussy, or have ocd!

I understand that waterless products can't be used when the car is covered in thick mud and real tough grime

The onr product seems to get rave reviews so may try that as well.

Nothing wrong with being very particular with your car and it's finish, I mean it's one of the most expensive things most of us own so why not be particular about it. :)

As for ONR, I seem to recall a chap who did a very thorough test of it. Using his own car, he used nothing but that for a year or however long it was. The bodywork was still in good condition and although there were a few swirls, it was deemed no worse than would be inflicted from normal two bucket washing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom