Watermarks on rear windscreen

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Thrash, May 15, 2018.

1. Thrash

Thrash Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C205 C200 Coupe
    Hi guys

When cleaning the car the other day I noticed there seems to be watermarks all over the back windscreen which I can't get off at all. At first I tried using RainX Cleaner and Repellent which didn't do anything. So I then used Autoglym Glass Polish, twice, which also didn't seem to touch it.
    Anyone know how I can get rid of it? I don't want to use anything too hardcore, I've seen some suggestions of using Cillit Bang and machine polishers to get rid of them!

Thanks in advance

2. clk320x

clk320x MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Mercedes
    Autoglym SRP worked on mine.

Thrash likes this.
  3. Ant-toe-knee

Ant-toe-knee Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Facelift W211
    Try a clay bar or as above

4. brucemillar

brucemillar MB Club Veteran

Car:
    C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
    I had this when I managed to "etch" the glass the on my rear estate screen by accidentally allowing 'Surfex HD cleaner' to run down the glass.

I tried everything I could think off including asking on here. I went through Clay Bar, T-Cut, RainEx, Wheel Cleaner, Wheel Acid Cleaner, Fine Grade Wire Wool.

Sadly none worked. I ended up with a new screen being fitted.

5. zipdip

zipdip Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    s320
    Might I suggest Silvo or Dura Glit,both come in small tins cost about £3 and the silver cleaner is impregnated on a wadding,just take a small amount and just rub gently another very good use for Silvo is Sat Nav screens,now be careful but if you or a car cleaner have used a harsh cleaner on the screen you may have damaged the coating that is on most Sat Navs or maybe you have a slight scratch on the screen try Silvo and rub very gently and wipe it away with clean soft cloth it will remove the coating and then use a normal glass cleaner or computer screen cleaner to just clean the last of it off,ok so the anti glare coating will be gone but at least the screen will look uniform,but you do this at your own risk,it has worked for me in the past.

brucemillar likes this.
  6. Alex225

Alex225 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLS63 AMG
    Some great info on here already. I seal the windows with Angelwax H2Go which seems to remove water marks as you apply it and then buff off. Not too expensive but bloody good at repelling rain.

Otherwise as mentioned a bit of polish should sort it out. :)

7. OP
    OP
    Thrash

Thrash Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C205 C200 Coupe
    Cheers all, will try AG SRP but a bit disappointed AG Glass Polish didn't sort it when it's specifically for glass.

8. optimusprime

optimusprime Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes W124 260E M103
    T cut will remove it and polish it at the same time .Dont use on the front screen. I have . You will need to use a good window cleaner after .

9. Dec

Dec Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C180,A.
    Brasso, Silvo, durogrit, vim, tcut and Cif/Jiff all have some type of silaca sand, the act like liquid sandpaper. I use Cif for issues like this, you may need to apply it twice.

Dec