Wax newbie but want to advance!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FaeLLe

Car
SL55 Fab Design, E220 AMG Night Edition
Having just given by new E class a dose of meguiar liquid wax I am impressed with the results and want to get everyone's thoughts on whether this is the best product to continue with.

I do not have hours to spend cleaning and wax my car but looking to invest some time every month and have lasting results.

Appreciate thoughts from the board. Thanks!

Pictures here :)

U0LNbyi.jpg

MsPsMiq.jpg

"Best" is a subjective term and so may differ from person to person.

If you think it fulfils your requirements, meets your expectations, then it is the best..

IMHO Collinite 915 is the best wax....

IMG_20150407_145957_zpsec6e0t08.jpg

IMG_20140513_084151_zpse3efff02.jpg

:D

Last edited:
Everyone has a different favourite wax and some prefer sealants to wax but its all preference. My favourite is Vics Concours on red or black - really deep, wet shine.
If you want to keep it topped up and looking good in between waxes may I suggest buying Sonax brilliant Shine detailer as the hydrophobic effect is excellent and the shine very impressive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os3SyYcJs5Y

Last edited:
To me a good wax is one that is easy to use, lasts well and ideally causes water to bead up like crazy.

Based on that I would recommend Collinite 476 although preferably Collinite 845 as it is liquid and easier to apply and buff. I actually quite like some of the Dodo Juice waxes in terms of application but they don't really last as long, that said the Pro versions are prettty good as is Supernatural but just expensive in my opinion.

Collinite is great stuff and it lasts so well. fk1000p is a sealant but lasts in the same way. If you are using Collinite try sticking CKRMG
ClearKote underneath the wax.

Any recommendations on pros and cons of using a sealant as compared to a wax?

Mine is a Metallic Obsidian Black and felt that since wax was more of a natural product it would be safer to use than a sealant or anything else.

I would use Carlack69 sealant under the Collinite. Always clay the paintwork before sealing.

FaeLLe said:
Any recommendations on pros and cons of using a sealant as compared to a wax? Mine is a Metallic Obsidian Black and felt that since wax was more of a natural product it would be safer to use than a sealant or anything else.

Waxes tend to be full of polymers, solvents etc

Sealants or coatings I'd generally look to use over winter months and waxes for more clement weather.

That said tried a new was to me yesterday...Mitchell & King Pop

Attachments

• image-597662560.jpg
    image-597662560.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Collinite 476 is good but it can be difficult to buff off, especially on a white car as it's quite easy to miss spots.

I use some crazy japanese stuff

its called IONCOAT NAVIWAX and is amazing, if you ever want to wax the car they it is literally grab a mate, 1 person applies it and the other follows you and buffs it off, whole car in about 40 mins or so (thats for a CLS)

I also use the Meguires Carnuba Wax which I got for free after winning the car of the month in a few japanese magazines, but I mainly use that on my wheels to keep them shiney :)

Have a google of IONCOAT NAVIWAX, its awesome stuff, it comes in Light and Dark depending on your cars colour, I mainly have ended up with Dark cars so have only ever used the dark

dark-800x800.JPG

Car came up like so

downloadfile-13_zps33winugn.jpeg

IMG_7758_zpskqm1xd0m.jpg

downloadfile-16_zpsw95y8g5m.jpeg

Please note - I will be doing the car again today now it is new and improved on its wheels and coilovers :) but here is the carnuba wax on the wheels

20150922_150949_zpsuxe4nqfj.jpg

Last edited:
I've been using autoglym HD wax and think its a fantastic product.

Paul

Everyone has a different favourite wax and some prefer sealants to wax but its all preference. My favourite is Vics Concours on red or black - really deep, wet shine.
If you want to keep it topped up and looking good in between waxes may I suggest buying Sonax brilliant Shine detailer as the hydrophobic effect is excellent and the shine very impressive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os3SyYcJs5Y

This is also a good video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcDTGSA8teU

After many years as a professional detailer, (no longer in the business now) working on all makes and models from the humble mini upto car collections of Lambos, Ferrari's and Veyrons plus many many ultra specials. Being Swissvax approved as well as associations with other companies, the main thing I learnt and told clients was that light coloured cars look better with a sealant finish, whereas darker respond better to a wax finish.

As for what product, that's very subjective, down to individuals eyes, budget and needs. Collinite make great products and I never left home without them in my van, the same as true with Dodo Juice, Klasse and of course Swissvax (all the way up to Divine). Collinite 476 is amazing on wheels and the body, but does leave a plasticy sealant look so again better on lighter colour motors in my mind.

You also need to consider how often you want to be treating the car, a good quality wax or sealant can and will last 12 months, but only if the washing process is done correctly. The best car shampoo I ever used and swore by was and still is Johnson's 'no tears' baby shampoo, it cleans all dirt off but does not remove wax, try it its great and it will allow your chosen finish to last far longer than almost all other car shampoo's

Hi all been using autoglym shampoo conditioner cos that's it's ph neutral then with dodo juice supernatural wax is the shampoo I'm using ok some people are saying it's no good
Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom