Wax on.. wax off?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gavnr

SUPPORTER
Car
W204 c63 estate
At the start of last summer i did (for the first time) a proper clay bar, BH double speed Wax. Car sleeps in a garage and gets a run out every couple of weeks

Gave it a wash today and water beads up beautifully. I was wondering if it is the done thing to apply another coat of wax or if you should remove/clay beforehand?

It does sound like your okay to skip until you notice a change in beading, which is good news 🙂

What you can do though is keep up maintenace using waxed based shampoo to service the waxed layer and spray over with your favourite detailing spray.

When it does need doing, the proper way would be to remove the old wax using clay bar, correct the paintwork, seal and apply a fresh coat of your preferred wax.

I recently switched to ceramic coating, i'm in my second year now and it's still holding out well to the elements. If it were my traditional waxes, I reckon I would have waxed it at least 3 or 4 times during that time as its parked out in the elements. 🤷‍♂️

20210320_163650.jpg20210320_163235.jpg20210320_163229.jpg

I wouldn't be happy with all those weights. I've used budget tyres on family daily drives over the years and never seen that. Even budget tyres shouldn't be that unbalanced. I'd get a good tyre shop to check it out. Just my take.

I wouldn't be happy with all those weights. I've used budget tyres on family daily drives over the years and never seen that. Even budget tyres shouldn't be that unbalanced. I'd get a good tyre shop to check it out. Just my take.
Will do, I'm there next week to get wheel alignment, so will get them to double check. The fronts are fine, no vibration/wobble through the steering wheel. Thanks 👍

At the start of last summer i did (for the first time) a proper clay bar, BH double speed Wax. Car sleeps in a garage and gets a run out every couple of weeks

Gave it a wash today and water beads up beautifully. I was wondering if it is the done thing to apply another coat of wax or if you should remove/clay beforehand?

Honestly does depend on how fussy you are. It might be beading up absolutely fine but likely does have fallout and tar on it if it's been so long and you'd be sandwiching that between two layers of wax

You're better off just leaving it and when it drops off doing a full decon again

Honestly does depend on how fussy you are. It might be beading up absolutely fine but likely does have fallout and tar on it if it's been so long and you'd be sandwiching that between two layers of wax

You're better off just leaving it and when it drops off doing a full decon again
I'd agree, you'd be sealing in a bunch of contaminants between the layers of wax. I'd recommend stripping it right back maybe during the summer when you've got a bit of time with the clay bar, putting a carnauba wax on it - I use Collinite 915 - a wee bit harder to apply but long lasting results. You also consider even using a coating like Gtechniq's C1 Crystal Lacquer - which is the closest thing to a ceramic coating that you can apply yourself - as far as I know. I use that and apply the wax directly to the top of that for a bit of extra protection (Need to wait a couple of days for the crystal lacquer to set first). Honestly, I'm sure the finish would last for about two years like that!

Thanks for the comments, given you don't need to use much of the wax in the first place, i have a pretty much a full tin sitting around . Might need to do the wife's car...

It wouldn't hurt to add an additional layer of wax, gauge it by the beading I say or top up the protection with a spray on product to add longevity.

Yes ideally you'd want to decontaminate etc. but if you're only going out in it every couple of weeks, it's not going to pick stuff up in the same way a car doing hundreds of miles a month commuting will. :)

If you enjoy the process of waxing it, do it every 4-6 weeks and then go for a full strip, polish and re-protect yearly. :)

It wouldn't hurt to add an additional layer of wax, gauge it by the beading I say or top up the protection with a spray on product to add longevity.

Yes ideally you'd want to decontaminate etc. but if you're only going out in it every couple of weeks, it's not going to pick stuff up in the same way a car doing hundreds of miles a month commuting will. :)

If you enjoy the process of waxing it, do it every 4-6 weeks and then go for a full strip, polish and re-protect yearly. :)
Thats what i do

I prefer laying wax as supposed to removing and reapplying.

There are a fair few decent waxes that can be layered with great results.

I wax the car just for sh!ts and giggles when I have time.
But I’m a freak, so pay no attention.
I also don’t use water to clean the car. Haven’t done for 13+ yrs.
So definitely don’t listen to me.
😄

I prefer laying wax as supposed to removing and reapplying.

There are a fair few decent waxes that can be layered with great results.
Indeedy, you can certainly layer some waxes give the protection a more longevity. It's only the polishing that means you start afresh I guess. But I only tend to hand polish once every 6 months and only by hand anyway.
I wax the car just for sh!ts and giggles when I have time.
But I’m a freak, so pay no attention.
I also don’t use water to clean the car. Haven’t done for 13+ yrs.
So definitely don’t listen to me.
😄
What do you use? Waterless wash of some kind? :)

Indeedy, you can certainly layer some waxes give the protection a more longevity. It's only the polishing that means you start afresh I guess. But I only tend to hand polish once every 6 months and only by hand anyway.

What do you use? Waterless wash of some kind? :)
I just wipe it down with a decent detailing spray after it’s driven.
It’s garaged and only driven in fair weather, so I can get away with wiping it down rather than giving it full washes.
It’s also been waxed a fair few times which makes it easier to wipe down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom