Wax / Polish in Nooks and Crannies Cleaning ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pmcgsmurf

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E55 AMG W211, E250 Sport W212, (and some Imps)
After looking over the E55 I noticed some wax or polish along things like the gap between window frames/doors and inside door edges, grill on bonnet etc.

The one that really cought my eye is the trim on the doors towards the bottom, could see the wax inbetween the door and and the trim.

Can't really use a microfibre towel as it wont get into these gaps.

What do folks do to get this out of all the little nooks and crannies without scraping it out and causing damage ?

Or leave wax in there as extra protection. Those nooks and crannies are perfect for storing moisture.

Or take the trims off like i have ;) Paint brush works well :)

Argh, don't give me ideas. :)

I already have a long list so not for now.

Tried a plastic scraper with a soft cloth and some IPA on it which seems to do the job.

Just looked, might be a torx and slide job so fairly simple.

I use cotton buds which are also good for going round the edges of badges etc. Or for more fiddly/stubborn bits I've found toothpicks/dental flosser sticks can work well.

I use cotton buds which are also good for going round the edges of badges etc. Or for more fiddly/stubborn bits I've found toothpicks/dental flosser sticks can work well.

I got the pi$$ took out of me last week by the better half for using cotton buds around the badges. :)

The door line trims slide off (firm but gentle) for cleaning and is the easiest and best way to do those bits i find.

I tried the plastic scraper and cloth trick too and had pretty much the same result as you.

I tried detailing brushes but these work better when the car is being cleaned i.e. with soapy water but i do find for the dried on white annoying bits a medium/firm tooth brush (detailing spray for tough bits) is the way to go it's basically a small nylon brush then use the plastic scraper and cloth with a bit of detailing spray on the cloth to shine up.

Apply automotive grade masking tape to badges, door handles, panel joints etc. etc. before you start waxing. You will never notice that the part is not polished. Only you will know but you can keep it secret!

Removed one of the door trims on the E55 today and cleaned it and behind it, 2 minute job to get off.

Will certainly remove all of these next time I'm polishing car, make it much easier.

I used to give the car another wash after polishing and waxing to get rid of any residual dust. I thought the car looked better too following a post-polish wash.

It is only the stuff that goes white that is the issue, as it spoils the overall appearance.

IPA is a good shout BUT it will take off the wax/polish.

Cotton buds are a good technique but do not fit into the really tight crevices. Similar problem with microfibre cloth.

Tape is the answer - I have learnt this the hard way! There is a reason why professional detailers use this technique.

It is only the stuff that goes white that is the issue, as it spoils the overall appearance.

IPA is a good shout BUT it will take off the wax/polish.

Cotton buds are a good technique but do not fit into the really tight crevices. Similar problem with microfibre cloth.

Tape is the answer - I have learnt this the hard way! There is a reason why professional detailers use this technique.
That’s certainly the best way of avoiding it, also the best way of getting polish on trim which might absorb the polish and to protect the trim when using an electric polisher.

Use a bottle of Williams Waterless Wash and Wax . You wont use wax again on your car cut the time down by half, and you can use the poilish on all the car including glass but not on front screen ..rubber tyres trim , use it on every mortal part of your car....Secret in its succsess is to use micro fibre towels only. But wash the car to start with . the instructions say you can clean it diirty but i dont. You wont see any left over crud at the end ,,on any gap in the body, or chrome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom