Wax polishing machine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Colin626

Car
2012 E350 Cabriolet Sports
hi all, looking for some guidance when using a polishing machine for the first time and can you give me your thoughts on the best liquid wax please. Any help much appreciated thanks.

Not living anywhere near you, short of writing a long Spiel on the techniques, can I suggest you go onto YouTube and the polisher you have and no doubt someone will have put up a video :)

Not living anywhere near you, short of writing a long Spiel on the techniques, can I suggest you go onto YouTube and the polisher you have and no doubt someone will have put up a video :)
Hi Edd, yes I’ve had a look at YouTube but always like to see the genuine merc guys and there thoughts

Fair enough.
Well I use a draper MOP set to something like 700-800 rpm with varying densities of foam pads.
I use Farcela g6 (or G10 sometimes).
Works a treat. Then paintwork is ready for ceramic coating or carnauba wax.

I use a da if correcting the paint as above with suitable foam pad, Megs Ultimate compound is good as it quite progressive user friendly if your removing swirls etc. Normally I just use my cheaper rotory buffer for my car as paint is in good shape perhaps 3 - 4 times year all other times a wash n detail spray does the trick wth a paste wax to keep the finish.

My paint seems in good condition there is a couple of faint scratches so I’ve bought the mega compound. Then I intend to follow up with wax and polish

Try spraying the paint with IronX or similar, if it turns purple you have brake dust etc that a polisher will pick up and give you more scratches. After you're washed off the IronX, go over the paintwork with a clay bar - I use the Bilt Hamber one as 1/4 of the bar will do a car and it only needs water as the lubricant, others will recommend others like a clay mitt. Then use the DA for the polish - my choice is Kestrel DAS6, Sonus pads and 3M Perfectit, which is not only a polish but also a 3000 grit equivalent paint corrector. Depending on the microscratches you have, this may not be powerful enough so you may need to start with something a bit coarser before going to the Perfectit. After the plish it's the wax, nano or ceramic, take your pick, there's as many recommendations for this as there are for which oil is best!!

Welcome to the downhill slope of detailing - it only gets worse and more expensive, but the results can be staggering. My 1994 968 GR coupe, that I thought I'd looked after by washing then polishing with AG SRP, had developed a fetching shade of purple when I got the bug, but returned to showroom Guards Red after treatment, stayed that way for the next 3 years and helped when I sold her.

Personally I'd look for a DA - Dual Action polisher. By dual action it means the head on it rotates and oscillates which means doing damage to your paintwork is reduced hugely. You can still correct swirls and scratches but it just means you won't burn through like is possible with a rotary polisher.

I used my DA for the first time a couple of years back, used Menzerna 2500 polish as recommended by Ed at Divine Detail. The finish on my E and other half's old SL was superb and has left a good base for the next stages of protecting the paint.

In terms of a liquid wax, check out Collinite 845. It's no frills, inexpensive but leaves a nice finish and the protection lasts months! Genuinely a great wax and easy to apply, just don't let it bake on haha.

The Meguires DA is very good and easy to use. Come with 3 pads, cutting, polishing, waxing. Around £250.

Hi gents, I’ve bought a dual action one with variable speed bit of a cheap one looked on YouTube and it seems up to the job hopefully be giving it a try this weekend and will report back on my findings
Thanks for all your advice

Start slowly and have a water spray bottle to hand as the correction fluid needs to be kept moist while using the DA. Also worth getting some 3M blue 25mm masking tape for panel edges, screen wash jets etc. Also put the fluid on the DA pad, put the machine/pad onto the panel THEN turn it on, equally let it stop before you lift it off the panel - or you'll end up with correction fluid sprayed all over everywhere!:eek::D:eek::D

And by God does it go everywhere!!!! You'll only do it once lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom