Wax Stains On Wind Screen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

W L Ow

Car
C200-202(A) 1997
The front and back wind screens of my car are stained with many lines on which rain water flows along from top to bottom. Vision through the wind screen gets very bad driving at night in light or heavy rain. I believe the lines are dry wax polish carried down by rain water from the car roof. I have tried cleaning the screen with thinner, video cleaner, acid, wind screen wash, head light cleaner, Wind screen water marks cleaner, rubbing compond, car wax, and detergent but non worked. Can any body help?

Thanks

Glass shouldn't stain but I guess over time the sun bakes in contaminents and a build up of dirt, oils, and cleaning compounds. If all else has failed, you might try using a wet cloth with warm water and something like CIF or another slightly abrasive kitchen cleaner. Don't rub harder than you need but do the whole screen making sure the cleaner stays away from the paintwork. Next wash off with lots of warm water and some washing up liquid to de-grease the glass. Next refurb the glass with something like Autoglim glass polish. This will bring up a nice shiny finish. Job done.

Next refurb the glass with something like Autoglim glass polish.

Autoglym :) Glass Polish is the best stuff I've used. Can get it from Halfords. It's about six quid but you use a pretty small amount and the bottle lasts for ages.

Best to use a clean tea-towel or similar that hasn't been fabric conditioned.

ETA: Just saw the OP is in KL so maybe Halfords isn't so convenient!

I have, in the past, used a small amount of Methylated Spirit (the lovely smelling purple stuff!) to completely de-grease the screen then washed it thoroughly and used Rain-X to finish (not everyone's cup of tea but I think it's great stuff!). Industrial meths is good too, same stuff just no smell and no colour.

Autoglym :) Glass Polish is the best stuff I've used. Can get it from Halfords. It's about six quid but you use a pretty small amount and the bottle lasts for ages.

Best to use a clean tea-towel or similar that hasn't been fabric conditioned.

ETA: Just saw the OP is in KL so maybe Halfords isn't so convenient!

But Autoglym should be available from a big supermarket even in Malaysia!

I have, in the past, used a small amount of Methylated Spirit (the lovely smelling purple stuff!) to completely de-grease the screen then washed it thoroughly and used Rain-X to finish (not everyone's cup of tea but I think it's great stuff!). Industrial meths is good too, same stuff just no smell and no colour.

yep meths is really good , I use Mr Muscle window cleaner on my cars , yet to find anything better

Thanks. I still think the stain is car polish washed down from the roof and sun baked into the glass. I shall try Autoglym which probably is available here.

A dash of vinegar and washing up liquid in warm water followed by wiping firmly with scrunched up newspaper(proper newspaper and not magazines), wipe until completely clear of all grease- this is the way I learned to clean windows in a butchers shop and have found it very effective if grease is on glass anywhere so should remove wax.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom