Waxing Glass

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nigel21

Car
C43AMG Premium plus Estate
Just received my new C43 and about to wax it over the weekend.

I'm going to use R222 100% Carnauba Wax can I use this on the sunroof/windows?

It'll probably make your wipers judder, and can be difficult to remove off the blades.
I got Sonax BSD on my screen and it took me ages for my wipers to work properly again
Cheers
Ben :thumb:

I did see something on the interwebs about waxing your glass so that water beads and just rolls off it, but I don't know what the right product to achieve that is.

I wax my side windows and rear window on the SL. I wouldn't wax the windscreen. My ML is lucky to get a wash at all!

Last edited:
Do not wax any screen that will employ wipers.

So the answer to your question is yes you can wax the glass/sunroof but avoid any wiper affected glass.

The wipers will drag any wax residue across your field of view and cause distortion/smeering. IT can be a complete pain to remove the wax one it is wiped, as it sticks to the wiper blades awaiting it's next shower of rain to reapply itself to your windows again. A potato cut in half is good for removing any excess wax from glass.

It'll probably make your wipers judder, and can be difficult to remove off the blades.
I got Sonax BSD on my screen and it took me ages for my wipers to work properly again
Cheers

That explains a lot lol

RainX is good for glass

Cheers

RainX is good for glass

Makes it slippery and water just glides off

I use RainX glass cleaner and it also states it's water repellent, on my inner windows I use RainX anti-fog

RainX is also very good on domestic (house) windows. Especially at this time of year where we get a lot of sand mixed in with the rain. Just mentioning it.

RainX is also very good on domestic (house) windows. Especially at this time of year where we get a lot of sand mixed in with the rain. Just mentioning it.

To think of it I've never bothered cleaning my house windows
They look clean anyway, my car is my passion
House is just a necessity :D

Just received my new C43 and about to wax it over the weekend.

I'm going to use R222 100% Carnauba Wax can I use this on the sunroof/windows?

See that you contributed to the Crabbing thread so hope all's well with your new car. Incidentally what tyres have been fitted?:thumb: Also which particular brand of wax have you gone with?

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies,I have washed and waxed my car today waxed sunroof and all side windows.Will take your advice and clay front and rear screens.

Driver200
I Have used R222 100% carnauba wax
I have not experienced any crabbing issues but the weather has warmed up now so will see how it goes in the colder weather.
The car has been supplied with continental tyres.
The build date came forward so I collected it at the end of March and have avoided the new ved rules
I think the specification of my car is identical to yours.
What tyre did yours come with?

I use Autoglym on all the glass other than front screen .If you get any on the screen your in for problems ...

Thanks for all the replies,I have washed and waxed my car today waxed sunroof and all side windows.Will take your advice and clay front and rear screens.

Driver200
I Have used R222 100% carnauba wax
I have not experienced any crabbing issues but the weather has warmed up now so will see how it goes in the colder weather.
The car has been supplied with continental tyres.
The build date came forward so I collected it at the end of March and have avoided the new ved rules
I think the specification of my car is identical to yours.
What tyre did yours come with?

Hi, Mine came with ContiContactSport5P's which I like. No doubt Mr Crabbie has gone away for the summer but will probably return when Mr Frosty arrives, LOL. When I have covered around 4-5000 miles (currently only covered around 1300) will take back to dealer and ask them to check for uneven tyre wear rather than wait until later in the year when they might be less accommodating. Other than that I think it's a great car. Waited until car had covered 1000 or so before really using Sport+ but hey, it turns the car into a monster (I know saying that will probably make the C63 owners laugh) but it's plenty powerful enough for me. And that sound from the Performance exhaust.... my wife thought a motorbike was tailgating us the other day until she realised it was our car!! She then slumped down in her seat....... Women really don't appreciate these things.. It's in the male DNA so I can't help it!! Enjoy your car and let me know if I can be of any help going forward.:thumb:

Last edited:
You are better off using a dedicated glass coating from the likes of Gyeon, Kamikaze Collection, Gtechniq than a wax - much more durable.

I used a clay bar on mine with detailing spray and finished with autoglym window cleaner.

Same here, never had any issues, and the autoglym window cleaner is really easy to use with not much effort producing great results.

Difference between cleaning and coating.....

This all reminds me about the young couple who confused putty with KY jelly.

Their windows fell out.

Ideally cleaning glass is done in two steps: first you clean off the dirt and grease; and then, if you're keen, you coat it with a polymer - NEVER a bodywork wax.

A leading brand is RainX, but really just choose whatever's easily available. I use GTechniq.

Why go to the second "sealing" step? Because it will put up a clear protective coat that keeps off the crop, doesn't distort the image through the glass (which wax certainly would), let's the windscreen blades pass over smoothly, and keeps the glass cleaner for longer. Think of it as the equivalent of waxing a car's bodywork or wheels.

But, to be honest, 99% of cars are lucky if their glass just gets cleaned....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom