WD40

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dichtung

Car
W203 2.2Cdi
Morning Guys, Just wondered if there is a general consensus about releasing fluid that is better than WD40.

If any !

WD40 is really only a water dispersal spray, with rust inhibitors. Not very good at penetrating seized components
My preferred release agent. Great for releasing seized locks...
1858_Deblock%20Oil%20XS%202.0%202020.jpg

As above ; other ones include Plus Gas , and Shock and Unlock .

No experience of the one posted above but I've always had good results with PLUS GAS.

Also for cleaning stainless steel, wife thought i was nuts for spraying it on the cooker until she seen the result

Another vote for PlusGas

I use Torsion Spray by Metaflux. Its seriously expensive at £14/can but its very very good. Especially if you have time to let it penetrate. We use WD40 for cleaning, thats all its good for imo.

Also for cleaning stainless steel, wife thought i was nuts for spraying it on the cooker until she seen the result
Also for getting Meguiars Endurance off your jeans when you’ve rubbed against a tyre you’ve just treated!

Well, no wonder I usually have to resort to the angle grinder ! Trying to free rusted bolts with oven cleaner. Doh !!

Many Thanks Guys.:)

If you refer to Releasing fluid as something that makes a stiff rusty bolt easier to undo once you've got it moving, then GT85 works way better than WD40.

If it's for freeing up bolts that are rusted solid, then NOTHING works (in my experience). You will have to resort to more brutal means..

‘More brutal means’ including impact driver and/or heat, where safe and appropriate?

I was just thinking about a bit of scaffold pole over the spanner, or angle-grind it off, but as far as making a rusty bolt easier to undo with low viscosity oil, forget it!

Never had any luck with my Impact driver or blowtorch either.....

But I've only been wielding spanners on cars for 50 years, so what do i know?

Yeah, manuals always used to say, undo nut and withdraw spigot. What it never told you was how to get the flaming nut off, that's the information that you really need a manual to give you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom