we have a new boat protecting the IOW

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
"Some 5,226 crew members are on board and all have been granted shore leave"

Have all the prices ashore just been quadrupled? No doubt this will attract all sorts of unsavoury rip-off merchants.

What a vessel - just slightly larger than ABramovich' s latest yacht!

"Some 5,226 crew members are on board and all have been granted shore leave".

That's 5 times more people than live in this village! - and we don't have any "ladies of the night" - at least, not that I know of.

A mate of mine bought a boat from Bembridge a few years ago, and we were bringing it back to Poole. The President was in town at the time, and had the thing parked in the Solent. Huge! You can only get so close before one of the patrol boats are on you and politely shoo you away!

Fingers crossed I will be going aboard her at some point next week for a tour:D

That's 5 times more people than live in this village! - and we don't have any "ladies of the night" - at least, not that I know of.

You will have soon, there will be an invasion of them from all over UK and Europe.

Hmm....

The USS Enterprise docked in Marseille harbour many years ago when I was visiting a French girlfriend

The girls came from far and wide mostly from up North of the UK :)

Last edited:
I saw it today whilst flying along the Solent Coast.
Didn`t take any pics `cos it was too cold to get my camera out and it was way out in the distance anyway - would of been just a grey blur on the water..

The beached car container vessel listing on it`s side earlier this year was a better spectacle!

any spare tickets? please :)
Lol, unfortunately no, the captain has extended an invitation to employees of my company, I,m quite surprised to be honest as normally we can,t get near any of the US Vessels, though hardly surprising after the terrorist attack on the USS Cole in 2000.

Last edited:
Its nickname is evidently " THE BIG STICK" after Theodore Roosevelt's quote on foreign policy--"Speak softly and carry a big stick!" The sort of sentiment one Vladimir Putin might relate to. ;)
quote-Theodore-Roosevelt-speak-softly-and-carry-a-big-stick-89970.png

That one boat has probably more fighter planes than our whole air force lol

That one boat has probably more fighter planes than our whole air force lol

I dunno about probably more like definitely each of these carriers has 80-90 planes plus helicopters, and they have 10 of just this type of carrier!

Last edited:
Me and two old chums are coming down from Brum on Thursday for a look.

Where is the best vantage point please?

Also, any lunch recommendations from locals?

Many thanks

Best place to view would be from Stokes Bay, and there is small Cafe along the Seafront, or you could venture into Gosport itself if you wanted something a bit more substantial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom