We must take a stand against petrol increases!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Magic

I have received a few emails recently about not visiting your local garage for a day to try and hurt them at the pump. I can;t see how this would work.

What if everyone stopped getting petrol from certain suppliers, Texaco seem to be the most expensive in my area, would that not be a better solution?

I don't really know the answer, I just know we can't continue to just sit back and watch petrol prices just gradually, sneakingly keep going up!

I don't think that oil companies make that much profit from petrol retailing so I'm not convinced that boycotting the pumps will do anything other than cause you inconvenience, especially if you decide not to fill up just before your tank runs dry. :D

I'm afraid that sitting back and watching the price of fuel going up (or indeed down) is exactly what we will be doing for the forseeable future. Look at the success :( of the fuel protests in 2001...

Partly due to tax, mainly down to increase in oil prices due to a massive rise in demand (beginning to outstrip supply). The best way to bring down oil prices would be to drive less (especially thirsty cars), slow down globalisation and stop buying cheap goods from developing countries (which have to be shipped/flown half way around the world powered by oil). Just pray that the pound stays strong against the dollar given that oil is priced in USD

I have received a few emails recently about not visiting your local garage for a day to try and hurt them at the pump. I can;t see how this would work.

It wouldn't work. There are a few hoax emails along these lines ("please forward to everyone you know") that have been circulating for several years.

petrol stations are suffering more and more.. they make only 2-4p a litre gross and as fuel price goes up, their stock holding costs increase (most hold stocks of up to 100-200K litres) ... petrol stations are dying at an increasing rate.. many are running at losses due to the sudden rise in prices..

Boycotting them will do nothing and in fact will probably be a future inconvenience for you as there will be less around and the ones to go first will be the independents/smaller brands so now all of them are either BP or Shell...
... and you know what that means, less petrol stations, less competition, stronger brands = higher prices

What if everyone stopped getting petrol from certain suppliers, Texaco seem to be the most expensive in my area, would that not be a better solution?

I don't really know the answer, I just know we can't continue to just sit back and watch petrol prices just gradually, sneakingly keep going up!

If you feel THAT strongly, why not organise a protest at the place that profits most from the sale of motor fuel.
Outside the Houses of Paliament.

I think a mass protest will be an excellent idea. When will the government learn that the motorist isn't some giant piggy bank to be raided, and any funds raised from fuel duty must only be spent on improving roads, not on public transport initiaitves, thats what income tax is for.

I think a mass protest will be an excellent idea. When will the government learn that the motorist isn't some giant piggy bank to be raided, and any funds raised from fuel duty must only be spent on improving roads, not on public transport initiaitves, thats what income tax is for.

Without sounding political, how much money is being used to fuel the tanks in Iraq and they're raising taxes for us citizens who aren't even involved in the war.

£3.3 billion/year at the last count, I believe. Just think what else just a fraction of that money could be spent on!!

Exactly £3.3 billion buys a lot of road improvements like they have in Europe. Road tax and fuel is optional as not everyone uses the roads (i.e. non motorists) so why should money raised from "area" be spent elswhere. Its for the roads, not trains, public transport, but should be specifically for the benefit of the road tax/fuel duty payer.

We see apparenty just 20% of the money raised from fuel/road taxes being spent on the roads. Where is the rest, its going on lap tops for MP's and the client state.

Just returned from Fuerteventura - diesel 78 cents a litre 60p - petrol 83cents / 63p. Roads are lovely - fresh smooth tarmac - car tax €35 a year. Lots of EU funding....hmmmmm:(

Without sounding political, how much money is being used to fuel the tanks in Iraq and they're raising taxes for us citizens who aren't even involved in the war.

Iraq has its own oil fields and guess who has first gulp on it ....... that was the problem with the last Iraq war ... they had fuel logistic problems, supply and demand .... this time secure the oil fields first and you can run your thirsty war machine for a long time ....... in fact you can strike any where with that much oil .....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom