Weak A/C, thoughts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

horatio

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLK, 190E
209 clk

It works but it’s weak and struggles on a hot day. I really want it Siberia blizzard cold.

The filter is new. I had it re-charged last year. The first garage evac’d the system but couldn’t get it to accept freon so it was left dead. The second garage had the same problem but got it recharged in the end. Neither noticed any leaks and I’m sure the system would have emptied and shut off by now if there was a leak.

Any thoughts on what might be needed to get it back to 100%?

I had a similar problem with my S211 and had to clear the fault codes caused by low gas before it would recharge properly.

Reactions: 219
Have you the ability to read off the system pressure? If you didn’t find the cause of the leak last time I expect it’s low on gas again?

If the system wont hold presuure well enough the macine wont fill wth gas. (health and safety)you will almost certainlynly have a small leak in the condensor.

You want a place who add the dye in anyway so you leaks can be checked for.

Otherwise you will endlessly be recharging and losing gas.

weak AC is almost always due to low gas volume in the system. It won't turn off until it gets very low and the low pressure cutout is triggered.
The usual suspect is the compressor front seal, which will often leak after a period of non-use of a few months [aka, winter].

Find yourself a company who only repair air con systems in your area,forget the local garages you need experts,and they are not that expensive.

Have you the ability to read off the system pressure? If you didn’t find the cause of the leak last time I expect it’s low on gas again?
‘Fraid not. The A/C worked before attempting the first charge but was a bit weak, much the same as now. I’m wondering if it could last a year leaking (even with the tiniest leak) without the system shutting itself off? I leave the A/C on all the time unless the windows are open.

Find yourself a company who only repair air con systems in your area,forget the local garages you need experts,and they are not that expensive.
It only usually goes to WG if I can’t fix it myself but couldn’t turn down the ‘colder or money back’ offer! The first charge was free but resulted in no a/c at all!

‘Fraid not. The A/C worked before attempting the first charge but was a bit weak, much the same as now. I’m wondering if it could last a year leaking (even with the tiniest leak) without the system shutting itself off? I leave the A/C on all the time unless the windows are open.
Was it noticeably colder after you had it re-gassed last time?

...and mine is around 7-8 degrees, which is OK, though if you want it Siberia-cold it should really be 4-5 degrees.

This ^^^ Most garages connect up a machine. press the start button & just walk away whilst it does it's stuff. It only makes a token gesture at checking whether the system will hold pressure (by pulling a vacuum then seeing if it holds for a preset time) then recharges with refrigerant. You need proper aircon engineers who will pressurise the system with nitrogen & then check for leaks.

Read the pressures and get back to us. If it's weak, it usually means it's low, but it could also mean other things like your electric fan is not working. Probably not though.

It only usually goes to WG if I can’t fix it myself but couldn’t turn down the ‘colder or money back’ offer! The first charge was free but resulted in no a/c at all!
You can get a gauge in Halfords for £20 to check the pressure for yourself .

You need proper aircon engineers who will pressurise the system with nitrogen & then check for leaks.
^ This.

Small leaks rarely show up under a vacuum test, but that’s what most do as it’s easier, quicker and cheaper. The system needs to be properly pressurised to find a leak, and poor cooling performance is almost always caused by lack of refrigerant which means there is one.

209 clk

It works but it’s weak and struggles on a hot day. I really want it Siberia blizzard cold.

The filter is new. I had it re-charged last year. The first garage evac’d the system but couldn’t get it to accept freon so it was left dead. The second garage had the same problem but got it recharged in the end. Neither noticed any leaks and I’m sure the system would have emptied and shut off by now if there was a leak.

Any thoughts on what might be needed to get it back to 100%?
Just paid £75 to www.auto-kool.co.uk for a very professional driveway service of my CLK Aircon . The guy had £15 years experience and said there was plenty of gas but almost no oil in the system .
Had two tyre garage plug in type aircon deals over the last few years who obviously didn‘t do anything correctly .
Anyway after a quick run for 30mins when he left the car is so cold I could barely stand it .
just booked him in for my E class in a couple of weeks , which in the past has had the same cheap aircon deals ....never again , I’ll think I’ll pay the extra £25 for a professional

How did he check the oil level? I thought you usually had to remove the compressor for that.

Can’t see the oil level affecting how cold the system operates either? :)

How did he check the oil level? I thought you usually had to remove the compressor for that.

Can’t see the oil level affecting how cold the system operates either? :)

Too much oil will impact performance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom