Weak A/C, thoughts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Condenser was shot, ice cold ready for Christmas! WG fixed it.

IIRC the first garage wanted to replace the compressor 🤦‍♂️

That's good!
My AC guy recommended I change the condenser; he told me Mercedes ones corrode through and get pinholes due to insect juice.
I thought that was crazy; first find the hole, then fix it is my philosophy.
Then I found new condenser is only 60 euros, filter dryer 11 euros.
A recharge is 40-45.
I also added fly screed between the grill and the condenser to keep the bugs off of it. just nylon netting attached with heat glue, it took 10 minutes.

Hello.
My ML270 had an issue, re gassed and fine for about 8 months, then weak cooling, so re gassed and lasted about 8 months, same result.
The machine would pull down a vacuum saying no leaks, but there was one.
I changed the condenser (£90), and then had it gassed again, all good so far.
When i took the condenser out it fell apart, was so corroded it was a wonder it held anything. Each time at regas i was told there was a small bit of pressure, but not much, but enough that the auto cut out did not.

Pressure testing is always better than vacuum testing because some systems can seal up to a certain pressure than leak. Often when people indicate that their charge lasts 8 months, my immediate thought is that they turn off the a/c during the winter which is a terrible idea. Those types are leaks are usually caused by old seals that dry out because oil is not being circulated though the system. Run your a/c all year around and you won't have that problem. Your demister will also work better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom