Weak gas struts on tailgate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Geoff A

Car
SLK280 Sport
Seems like the gas struts on my C-class estate (203) are due for change as I have to help them to lift the tailgate. And I know I'm going to bang my head on it soon, as it won't lift to full height without a shove!
Are there any uprated ones available, or have the standard ones been improved...? Or is it a question of same-old, same-old?
Thanks

Seems like the gas struts on my C-class estate (203) are due for change as I have to help them to lift the tailgate. And I know I'm going to bang my head on it soon, as it won't lift to full height without a shove!
Are there any uprated ones available, or have the standard ones been improved...? Or is it a question of same-old, same-old?
Thanks

I replaced the ones on the boot of my wife's CLK.
The price from MB was quite high so I sourced them from the importer/OEM online, who I think is SGS, piece of cake, both done for £20 ish.

Useful thread, thanks.

My 202 tailgate struts raise the tailgate OK, but when it’s at the top, there is a small bang and a rattle. I suspect the joints are dead. Will replacing the struts be enough to cure the problem, and is it easy?

:thumb:

2nd the thanks, my boot was bouncing back from the limit but now only rises an inch or so, time to replace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom