Weak Subs in W211 H/K Setup?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy Stanton

I've had an issue with the H/K upgraded sub in my W211 since new and I can't confirm if this is because it's faulty or just weak.

It happens when I play it at full volume on particularly bassy tracks but the bass level is flat, not boosted. In my view the standard H/K upgrade should handle this but it doesn't and it distorts. Therefore I have to reduce the bass or volume which is pretty poor.

I've been in contact with the dealer and they've had a listen and agrees it happens but MB say it's because I play it too loud and won't do anything about it!! I'm currently waiting for them to get another W211 in stock with the same setup so we can see if it happens on that too but as yet, they don't have one (or have forgotten, which is my guess).

I just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this? I suspect not everyone plays it that loud so I may be in the minority?

Sounds like a problem - my HK system in the W211 is great at whatever volume......mind you, that's speaking as someone who listens to the full music range and not just the bass (no offence intended as I don't know what music/range you listen to).

I find that most set-ups are too bass-loaded for my liking, but the HK seems spot on to me. A buddy who runs about £50k of hifi in his listening room reckons it's the best sounding in-car system he's heard.

I actually hope it is a problem as it's very disappointing otherwise.

I'm not sure what the generic term for my music taste is but it covers chart music, bits of rock, pop, funk, R&B etc etc. I guess you'd call it modern stuff? No classical, jass, opera etc.

It doesn't happen on every track just the bass heavy ones, which is where MB are drawing the line. I feel that a tailored system with a max volume cutoff should work perfectly up to that point. Hence my ongoing rant with MB.

I have mixed feelings about the setup to be honest. At low volumes there is no weight to the music, that is to say, no bass at all about the roadnoise. It's only when I ramp up the volume that it starts to kick in, and then it sounds really good. This is fine for me on my own but impractical for the family, so when we're out together it just sounds clear but ordinary really.

I'm with Mr E on this - the H/K system is superb.

I'm actually amazed you can listen at full volume - I have it seriously loud sometimes, but even then I can only go for about 30 minutes before my ears hurt. Either your system is faulty or you have been clubbing a lot !!! :bannana:

As a side note - my taste is about the same as yours it would appear.

Not much of a clubber as I tend to embarrass people with my sharp dance moves, but I do love my music loud. Always have done. If you can't feel the mid range/bass punching your kidneys then it's just not loud enough.

Don't get me wrong, I really rate the H/K system but I do miss any sort of bass at low volumes and the distortion at high volume leaves me frustrated. Not every track does this at full wack, but enough do it to make it a constant niggle.

Andy Stanton said:
If you can't feel the mid range/bass punching your kidneys then it's just not loud enough.

Cant comment on the system but :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom