Weapons Grade Garden Strimmer Line

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by brucemillar, May 21, 2016.

1. brucemillar

brucemillar MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
    Folks

Due to ill health my "garden" (it is 1 acre) has become very overgrown with grass, nettles & brambles. Over the last two weekends I have managed to cut the grass down to a nice looking level again (phew)

Yesterday I bought a nice new straight pole petrol strimmer/brush cutter. What could go wrong here you ask?

Well the cutter disc does not really like long grass or nettles. It pushes them rather than cuts them so it binds up.

The strimmer line is nylon with a metal cord in it. This breaks every few seconds, so is not sustainable.

Can anybody recommend a really strong line that will withstand industrial nettles?

PS. Previously I was using a square orange nylon line, but I can't find this anymore. I want a professional gardeners line. This is more agricultural rather than garden. Unfortunately my back is more jelly than iron.

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  2. Bellow

Bellow MB Enthusiast

Car:
    It shouldn't break so easily - only if left long enough to fatigue where it exits the head.
    I use Oregon Duoline 3mm and it never breaks providing I (manually) feed it through every so often (no more than is required to compensate for the wear though) to prevent fatiguing at head exit. Cuts all sorts and tangles with wire fences and harled walls and never breaks.

3. ChrisEdu

ChrisEdu Active Member

Car:
    W211
    I'm using square section line on my Stihl. It seems to cope with well with everything I've used it on. Take a look on ebay if you want some. I bought a 261m reel.

4. Bellow

Bellow MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Should have said - Oregon Duoline is steel core and plastic sheath.

5. ChrisEdu

ChrisEdu Active Member

Car:
    W211
    Have you considered using a long reach hedge cutter on the nettles, etc.... I find it works really well to clear thick patches of nettles and weeds.

6. flying haggis

flying haggis Active Member

Car:
    CLS shooting brake, SWMBO has B class
    I use desert extrusion diamond edge line in my stihl strimmer and I can recommend it fully

7. OP
    OP
    brucemillar

Car:
    C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
    Okay

Thank you for all the replies. I'm fairly sure that the Desert Exclusion (great name) is what I was using previously in my Husqvarna.

I am going tho swap the head of my (knackered) Husqvarna and fit it to my new machine. That is a solid billet head that allows for two lengths of cord to fitted giving you four cuts for every revolution. That and the Desert Exclusion (I love this name now) should have any WWII Japanese soldiers that are hiding in my grass? heading for surrender.

Today's efforts have taken a strain on my poor old back (sympathy required here please). The plan is to go for the big one tomorrow - Wish me luck. I may be gone for some time.....

8. Charles Morgan

Charles Morgan MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
    If you fall in the nettles it will take your mind off the bad back.

9. ChrisEdu

ChrisEdu Active Member

Car:
    W211
    The other option that I use is to attack it with my Hayter.

10. Mike Walker

Mike Walker MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes W204 C220cdi Estate Ford Fiesta Mk 4
    Bruce you need sheep and goats.......

1 person likes this.
  11. Charles Morgan

Charles Morgan MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
    Or you could push Mike Walker in the nettles which would also help take your mind off the bad back.

1 person likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    brucemillar

Car:
    Now there's a thought ;^)

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

13. MicB

MicB MB Enthusiast

Car:
    MB SL500 (R230) 2003, MB SLK320 (R170) 2001, Volvo V70 XC AWD 2001
    Do you not have a gardener?

Mic

14. OP
    OP
    brucemillar

Car:

We used to have one, several, in fact. They all turned out to be as feckless as each other. Not insulting gardeners here !!! As we now know these were never actually gardeners.

The problem we had was that those who called themselves gardeners, actually meant that they had used their cash to buy some tools and a van. If you weren't at home watching them then they would charge for xx hours when only doing x hours. We then found that they would dump the waste over the nearest fence. Proper gardeners around here are at a premium and are not actively seeking work as they are all on good contracts.

15. ChrisEdu

ChrisEdu Active Member

Car:
    W211
    Have you considered using a blade cutter for the dense stuff?

16. Piff

Piff MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mitsubishi L200 Barbarian, A207 E250CDi Cabriolet Sport, R171 SLK280
    I have a ryobi mulitpurpose thingy with different attachements. I know ryobi isn't the best, but it is far more capable than the previous bosch gear I had before. It has a brush cutter blade & a dual strimmer head. Haven't had the strimmer cord break yet.

17. ChrisEdu

ChrisEdu Active Member

Car:
    W211
    I had a Ryobi multi-tool thing too. In my experience, it has been a total POS! It's a nightmare to start, the attachments are particularly good quality, and it is very heavy even compared to my Stihl which has the biggest engine option.

I have been really pleased with my Stihl Kombi, which joins my other Stihl kit - their biggest blade hedge cutter and pro-grade chainsaw. I should have followed my normal rule of buying quality from the outset, but live and learn.

18. Piff

Piff MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mitsubishi L200 Barbarian, A207 E250CDi Cabriolet Sport, R171 SLK280
    yes, the ryobi was a budget purchase but has not let me down so far. Sthil is the better purchase though. I've just upgraded my sthil chainsaw with a bigger 16" bar & chain from ebay. Chain doesn't stay sharp & I probably need to resharpen 3 x as often meaning the chain will last a third of the time.

19. ChrisEdu

ChrisEdu Active Member

Car:
    W211
    I bought a Lidl electric chain sharpening tool - seems pretty decent and helps keep things nice and sharp. :)

20. guydewdney

guydewdney MB Enthusiast

Car:
    906 Sprinter 313cdi
    i have a 5 acre small holding.

1 buy a decent strimmer from an ag supplier. stihl or husky. ryobi or mculloch are for postage stamp gardens. buy one with motorbike or cowhorns not D handle. D is for hedge trimmers etc.

2 buy a proper harness. again, stihl or similar. strimmer clips onto right hip area. can now strim all day with no back issues.

3. buy a push in type head. this replaces the spool end with the string. mine takes 5mm line. buy a roll of said fat line, cut into 10" lengths as required. bump heads are too poncy.

4. use a chainsaw helmet and face guard

5. dont remove the guard around the head, unless you are very naughty.... and have said face mask and a boiler suit. the guard catches up and wraps up easily..

1 person likes this.