Wear on inside edges of front tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dunx

Car
'97 S210 E300TD Avantgarde
I have noticed that the inside edges of both front tyres are worn very badly. The bottom ball joints were replaced about 20k miles ago and the drop links around 10k miles ago. Could this be due to wear in some other part of the suspension or does it sould like I need to take it for a wheel realignment? The car is a '97 S210 E300 Turbodiesel Avantgarde with 111k on the clock.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated...

I have noticed that the inside edges of both front tyres are worn very badly. The bottom ball joints were replaced about 20k miles ago and the drop links around 10k miles ago. Could this be due to wear in some other part of the suspension or does it sould like I need to take it for a wheel realignment? The car is a '97 S210 E300 Turbodiesel Avantgarde with 111k on the clock.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated...

Needs urgent alignment mate, obviously not set up right when work was done before.

Needs urgent alignment mate, obviously not set up right when work was done before.

I'm sure I've read elsewhere that I would need to get a four wheel alignment done by MB, as opposed to letting kwik-fit anywhere near it. Would you agree with this?

Thx,

Duncan

Not necessarily.

Before having the alignment done check the front wishbone bushes, I bet they are toast allowing the wishbone to wander outwards which in turn alters the tracking.

The reason for a 4 wheel alignment is to set the rear wheels first. If the car isn't pulling to one side or wearing the rear wheels then the rears are probably Ok.

How old are the dampers? Worn dampers will cause inside wear as the car rolls more.

Not necessarily.

Before having the alignment done check the front wishbone bushes, I bet they are toast allowing the wishbone to wander outwards which in turn alters the tracking.

The reason for a 4 wheel alignment is to set the rear wheels first. If the car isn't pulling to one side or wearing the rear wheels then the rears are probably Ok.

How old are the dampers? Worn dampers will cause inside wear as the car rolls more.

Thanks Dieselman. I wouldn't say the car is pulling much, although it does have a tendancy to wander to the left slightly, but I would put that down to road camber more than anything else.

I'm not sure how old the dampers are. I've had the car for 18 months and 30k miles and would imagine that they've been on the car a while before I bought it.

I have a feeling the wishbone bushes are shot, so I'll get them checked out along with the dampers. Any idea how much a pair of dampers are likely to set me back?

Thx again,

Duncan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom