Website Gallery - Lytebox or Lightbox?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stats007

MB Enthusiast
Car
575M
I can't seem to get Lytebox to work at all and Lightbox only works with Internet Explorer and not Mozilla which is a bit weird.

Any ideas or recommendations? My preference is to get Lytebox working.

I don't know about Lytebox but I have implemented lightbox2 from HERE which is compatible with "all modern browsers".
It does work very well and was a doddle to use.

That's where I downloaded it from. It doesn't work with Mozilla Firefox (tried two different computers XP & Vista running 3.0.10) so assume there is a script conflict or differing settings for Javascript?

Here's what I have:

In the <head> tag

<script type="text/javascript" src="prototype.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="scriptaculous.js?load=effects,builder"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="lightbox.js"></script>

<link rel="stylesheet" href="CSS/lightbox.css" type="text/css" media="screen" />

Then using it within a <map> and <area> tag:

<area shape="rect" coords="4,471,131,567" href="My.jpg" rel="lytebox" title="My Title"/>

The .js files are in the root and the .css file is in a css sub directory. The Lightbox image files are in an image sub directory.

As mentioned it works fine with IE but the screen dims but the image never opens with Mozilla.

I assume you mean rel='lightbox'; also the href should include the sub directory.
If still no joy could you post the URL (or PM it to me) and I will have a look first thing tomorrow for you.

Phatfusion make a great lighbox (all browsers IIRC), but they also do one called multibox - which will also show videos, other pages etc etc.

I've used the multi box system a lot, and really like it :)

phatfusion

I assume you mean rel='lightbox'; also the href should include the sub directory.
If still no joy could you post the URL (or PM it to me) and I will have a look first thing tomorrow for you.

Yes - sorry. Using both at once as a test.

As mentioned it works with IE, so no issue with sub directories etc. Just wondered what the problem is with Mozilla?

It turns out Lightbox, Lytebox, Slimbox etc default to working with anchor tags and therefore not compatible with image maps. You can edit the .js file to enable this by changing 'a' to 'area':

var anchors = (this.isFrame) ? window.parent.frames[window.name].document.getElementsByTagName('area') : document.getElementsByTagName('area');

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom