websites

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
all depends if its just a website for advertising or whether it will be a fuly operational sales pitch... for a proper shop with all the software to do updates etc its not a bad price.. for just a refresh of your current site i would not pay more than £500..

all depends if its just a website for advertising or whether it will be a fuly operational sales pitch... for a proper shop with all the software to do updates etc its not a bad price.. for just a refresh of your current site i would not pay more than £500..

It's time for a proper online shop.

Can I just offer a little constructive criticism?

I went to your current site and nearly didnt make it to the front page as I was getting tired of waiting for the flash to load.

Less flash and more content is what I think I'm trying to say.

Shops fronts are generally either off the shelf type or hellishly expensive bespoke designs. Finding middle ground is the tricky bit.

Can I just offer a little constructive criticism?

I went to your current site and nearly didnt make it to the front page as I was getting tired of waiting for the flash to load.

I know, it's rubbish and really really slow.

Less flash and more content is what I think I'm trying to say..

I'd be happy with no flash at all.

I'm just after something that's easy to navigate and easy for people to use.

Shops fronts are generally either off the shelf type or hellishly expensive bespoke designs. Finding middle ground is the tricky bit.

I was hoping for my £1400 I'd get a good looking semi bespoke one (even if it's just based around some off the shelf code).

Actually off the shelf code is good as this means there are loads of people that understand it and there's loads of info on the web.

All that you need to then is get jiggy with the cascading style sheets to give you the look and feel you want.

Does £1400 give you any ongoing support for tweaks etc? Eitherway, its not a bad price for setting up a decent looking online shop at all. I assume uploading new products etc will have a nice easy GUI to work with?

[edit] I never knew you sold part btw, I thought you sold whole cars..

Last edited:
Actually off the shelf code is good as this means there are loads of people that understand it and there's loads of info on the web.

All that you need to then is get jiggy with the cascading style sheets to give you the look and feel you want.

Does £1400 give you any ongoing support for tweaks etc? Eitherway, its not a bad price for setting up a decent looking online shop at all. I assume uploading new products etc will have a nice easy GUI to work with? ..

GUI?

[edit] I never knew you sold part btw, I thought you sold whole cars..

That's what makes it harder, 14000 odd stock lines, all of which need different shipping costs....

Looks pretty cheap. We spent a bit more and got a site with a little bit of flash and a content management system which lets us upload new stuff as we need to without any programming.

This was a couple of years back so they may have got cheaper..

Ade

GUI?

That's what makes it harder, 14000 odd stock lines, all of which need different shipping costs....

Most of the decent shop fronts have a weight section when you initially enter the product details. This interfaces with shipping cost (by weight) tables you've created so when multiple products are ordered it calculates the gross weight an automatically works out the shipping costs, plus product cost and duty etc. Build a little margin in the shipping costs to cover materials and odd sizes so that in most cases you make a little extra on the shipping which covers the odd time where you lose out due to the size of the item.

Another nice feature of most carts is they also manage the stiock control and can order more stock if you want it to and remove the product from the website automatically when you run out.

If its done right, you sit back and wait for the orders to roll in and just pack and ship. If your turnover is high enough, you hold your stock in the shippers own warehouse and they do all that for you too. So all you need to do is count all the money your making. :)

Most of the decent shop fronts have a weight section when you initially enter the product details. This interfaces with shipping cost (by weight) tables you've created so when multiple products are ordered it calculates the gross weight an automatically works out the shipping costs, plus product cost and duty etc. Build a little margin in the shipping costs to cover materials and odd sizes so that in most cases you make a little extra on the shipping which covers the odd time where you lose out due to the size of the item.

Another nice feature of most carts is they also manage the stiock control and can order more stock if you want it to and remove the product from the website automatically when you run out.

If its done right, you sit back and wait for the orders to roll in and just pack and ship. If your turnover is high enough, you hold your stock in the shippers own warehouse and they do all that for you too. So all you need to do is count all the money your making. :)

What do you think?

http://cart.euromercmercedesparts.co.uk/index.php?p=home

Constructive criticism anyone?

You need to change the page name!

Pics work better with items on a white background, found that one out the hard way & slowly sorting it on our site http://shop.wellsmart.co.uk

Other than that, simple, easy to work out which section you need, well done!

Kate

I think they are just offering a tweaked template with a load of services you'll probably never utilise. To be honest £1400 for a website is just too cheap.

How does you current website work? what's running the back end? do you have databases already in place to handle the 14000 products? I'm asking since I do a lot of web contract work and £1400 would get you 3 or 4 man days and I don't think that would be enough to achieve what you want. But if you've got the backend (server) covered than a reskin could be done in a week.

I think they are just offering a tweaked template with a load of services you'll probably never utilise. To be honest £1400 for a website is just too cheap.

http://cart.euromercmercedesparts.co.uk/index.php?p=home

The above is £9.95 a month...

How does you current website work?

It's rubbish.

what's running the back end?

?

do you have databases already in place to handle the 14000 products?

It's all on excel

I'm asking since I do a lot of web contract work and £1400 would get you 3 or 4 man days and I don't think that would be enough to achieve what you want. But if you've got the backend (server) covered than a reskin could be done in a week.

Perhaps a bigger budget is called for...

Might be worth asking around to see if anyone knows a youngster - i.e. a student who is looking to earn some extra money, there are some really talented kids out there who are looking to add some websites to their portfolio and some of them seem to really know their stuff..

Slightly OT but do you do email-shots? I have just put together an online 3d brochure - you can link to your website from it - i think it looks pretty good - our one cost about £30.00 for the year - you just make your publication into a .pdf and email it to the company and that's it.

www.ittraininguk.com/brochure

Excel :crazy: OMG! But hey if it works!! What you should look for is someone that would do an overhaul and transfer all the existing data to a decent web-based database server and provide you with a simple web-based administration tool so you can add, update and delete products. There are eCommerce products like Actinic that would do all of this for you but you'd still need to get someone to make it look nice. Try to remember that the more you spend now the less you'll have to spend in the long-term. As your business grows you'll have different requirements from the site so best get them specified and designed into the system now.

There are eCommerce products like Actinic that would do all of this for you but you'd still need to get someone to make it look nice.
Also look at osCommerce, it's free and pretty easy to set up.

The beauty of Actinic is that it will interface directly with accounting packages such as the ones by Sage. You set up the product once and it appears on the web and in your accounts package - great for real-time stock control and margin control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom