Weed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidjpowell

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 w212 and Ford Ranger
Not the growing kind. I've though long and hard about making this post, and have decided that it's worthwhile as it may open a few eyes.

As some know, I have a 15 year old stepson, who has been a little challenging on occasions.

His dad lives 200 miles away - we moved about 7 years ago. He's a charming chap, who has punched me in front of the lad (he was7 then), and while nice as pie when things are going his way, he cannot control his emotions, and the slightest thing will set him off...

3 years ago the lad was going progressively off the rails at school, and we as usual got no support from his dad, who wanted the boy to live with him. My partner at this point decided that perhaps as a teenage lad this would be good for him and reluctantly agreed. I'm going to skip a bit now - but he came back up to us last year, as his dad's marriage broke up and he works nights.

Since coming back up we've had surprisingly minor issues until recently, when we were called into school to discuss his mood swings, which at their extreme were frightening teachers.

It was difficult to take note of this - until we saw it in person. Eyes wide open, panting, pacing, really genuinely losing it. I got it under control by getting him to sit down - otherwise he would have lost it.

After speaking to lad, school and various agencies, its become apparent that he has been smoking weed. It's really not got on with him, although apparently he started at his dads so it's taken time to mount up.

While it's been a shock, and it's hard to deal with its easy to explain away that he comes from a broken home etc. What has become apparent to me though is a huge number of kids are doing this stuff.

And it's not just kids like the lad - his best mates parents are perfectly stable, very responsible, and have the same issue - in fact their lad was 'sharing' with our lad at a time when his allowance had been cut right down to reduce his ability to purchase.

The lads bumped into a neighbours kids, who is a similar age, but goes to a private school with again very professional background. He smokes dope too...

It's a dangerous world out there and it's ever so easy to be complacent - those with kids keep an eye out - it's hard to spot!

When as a post graduate student I met a mature student who'd been smoking weed for far too long. I guess he was in his late 20s then. Nice chap and no mood swings thankfully, but one thing was very apparent, he was clearly mentally diminished by being in a near constant state of 'high'. Day or night, his brain looked pickled to me. I couldn't imagine how he was capable of continuing with his studies. In all seriousness I wondered if that's why as a mature student he was still there 'studying' - he was incapable of finishing. A very sad decline I thought, as he looked unemployable because of years of abuse.

I've no idea what the answer is though... David, I hope somehow your son sees sense.

However, it is VERY pungent so shouldn't be too hard to spot if they are near it (though that doesn't prove they were smoking it).

I hope somehow your son sees sense.

That's the only answer - hopefully he's getting the message, but it has to be down to him - only so much we can do.

Developer - you say it should be obvious. I thought so too. It is not though, and I am not the only person being fooled.

Friends parents had no idea (that was a fun conversation!) and one that the lads friend tried to prevent by taking their phone off the hook... It failed as they live just up the road!

That's the only answer - hopefully he's getting the message, but it has to be down to him - only so much we can do.

Developer - you say it should be obvious. I thought so too. It is not though, and I am not the only person being fooled.

Friends parents had no idea (that was a fun conversation!) and one that the lads friend tried to prevent by taking their phone off the hook... It failed as they live just up the road!

I also agree with davidPowell, if there was a magic one cure suits all, we would not have the problems associated with drink/drugs. All you can do is advise your son and hope he sees the error of his ways. I truly wish you the very best of luck.

I was lucky enough to goto a very well respected school in Cambridge.....i would say over 75% of my year smoked weed (maybe only on one occasion) I didnt and was in a small minority anyway...

When I went to Uni, again a pretty well respected one, there was clearly a drug problem, weed, and coke being used the most, but also magic mushrooms and MDMA. This was all in the actual live in halls. I believe a blind eye was kept towards it, and its actualy one of the reasons I quit uni... Just wasnt the place I wanted to be.

Im 24 so most of this was pretty recent too!

What has become apparent to me though is a huge number of kids are doing this stuff.

I think "endemic" covers it including a great many parents. Fact of life.

Fairly common here in leafy Surrey to be offered a post perandial liquer with the alternative of "something from the greenhouse" or in some circles (not mine) Bolivian marching powder.

My sons are 19 and 23 respectively. Both of them went through this phase, both of them (No.2 son especially but No.1 now also) are scathing of the all too often sad types who easily sink into a semi permanent dope haze and effectively become incapable of doing anything apart from further screwing their lives up.

Are they totally abstainers? No: the near all-prevailing mindset is that an in-party draw is no different from a few extra pints. Maybe that is so. I really do not know.

All I can say is take it for what it is, do not go for a big drama/confrontation but point out your general disapproval and work the "not a good idea" theme.

(The fairly long persistance of THC in body fats is a good angle if they are in the job market)

Most of them work it out for themselves but there will always be casualties. Sad but true

Weed is not too dissimilar to drink in that some people will just get very chilled out, can smoke it regularly and to be honest, not have any issues at all.

However, similar to drink, some people it just doesn't agree with. Just like you get violent drunks you get people who flip out on the stuff. The Mrs brother had a big issue with it and ended up getting himself sectioned.

After being in and out of hospital he sorted out the issues that were bringing him down and turned him to dope as a crutch, kicked the stuff and is now happily working at a ski resort in Switzerland.

I suspect laddo isn't a happy chap at the end of the day and I'd have thought going off the deepend with him won't help.

m.

I need to go back on this I suppose. We are dealing with this in our way (which is not to go off the deep end.) We and he is getting a lot of support from his school and a counsellor. There are a few basic rules which I have which I he respects - mainly around smoking it in the house.

This thread is supposed to be less about what we can do (which ultimately is not a lot), and more about what is out there for parents.

The past few weeks have opened my eyes somewhat. I'm not that surprised (but am disappointed) that we are having to address this. But it's a much bigger problem far wider than just unhappy kids.

The school don't think they have an issue. From what I know now, its remarkable how wrong they are.

Fair enough. Doing nothing more than putting up personal experience so not really one to agree or disagree with.

Good luck with it.

m

My 15yr old son is extremely challenging with his behaviour/attitude to almost everything, I know he has tried weed "everyone has dad",I know he does not smoke tobacco "it does not do anything and it's trampy" ,I know he drinks alcohol "i like Jack Daniels".

My job as a parent is to point out the pitfalls.and pick him up when he falls,difficult job when I can't get his ear over the influence of his peer group,and most importantly to let him know that he is loved.

Too much potentially destructive temptation out there and easily available.

whether he has a habit with weed I don't know,but a mixture of thc and raging hormones could explain the way he mostly acts
With regard to schools and drugs,denial is the first line of defence,and is
swiftlyturned back to the home/parents.although I know drugs are being
traded in school

It's a bugger.

Difficult to say as a parent "Thou shalt not..." when I spent so many a student year absolutely **** faced on booze which in statistical terms is the biggest killer.

Both my sons used to drink like bottomless pits all manner of foul decoctions but are now far more discriminating. So when No.1 son asked, without any sense of ostentation, for a bottle of 15 year old single malt as part of his birthday present, I was actually quite pleased.

God knows what next: he will probably want a Mercedes.....

I can't really offer any helpful advice, however I doubt that his family background is the issue here - unfortunately I know of teenagers from perfectly normative families attending the best schools that take pills, smoke weed, and/or drink a bottle of Vodka 'for laughs'. It's peer pressure, which these days is stronger and more devastating than ever, and not necessarily the result of broken family or bad parenting.

I hope you find a good place to be in with this. I think the major problem nowadays is that what is smoked is entirely different from what I (or we) smoked. Hi grade skunk or any of it's derivatives are truly mind and behaviour altering drugs. I smoked copious amounts of hash when I was young but no way could I smoke copious amounts of what they smoke now.

I'm not sure what's out there for parents mate I know 10 years ago there was no help. you must have your rules but make sure he stays fit and eats healthy and has an interest outside the usual crap cars sports etc. Does help if you can get away every now and then from the same circle of friends so that his brain can think on its own and not act like the others, get to know his mates without being a policeman (difficult).

While it feels bad at the moment imagine as a parent having to score crack or H for your child so that he does not have an heart attack while your helping them to come off....heartbreaking

Sorry for your troubles but I second Reams post
The stresses that the modern teenager faces today are different to the ones 10+ years ago.
The pressure to succeed and perform outweigh the disire to find conform or even find the person you are.
Weed can be the thin end though as manufactured drugs are so cheep and easily bought.
These can have a more dramatic effect to the lads mental state.
If he has tried weed and likes it he will have probably tried other things too.
It's common place to just blame the parents but that ain't going to solve your problem.
The lad needs direction in his life and that to know his future can be different to his father.
I can't offer a cure or suggest a path to follow but I believe the answer is in finding what he wants out of life and try to encourage any possitive desires.

It is commendable that you are standing by him and trying to steer him through it.
All the best

Steve

I need to go back on this I suppose. We are dealing with this in our way (which is not to go off the deep end.) We and he is getting a lot of support from his school and a counsellor. There are a few basic rules which I have which I he respects - mainly around smoking it in the house.

I cannot speak from experience David but to me you are going about it in exactly the right way. By building boundaries and not walls. Detachment with love I think it is called.

Narcotics Anonymous may help him to the future - should he want to go there. I can find no reference to a "NarcAnon" group that would support families who are affected by narcotics issues but they may be out there. A brief internet search did not reveal much but I guess you have been there anyway.

Good Luck in finding your way through this.

Seeing we were all teenagers once, perhaps we should be asking what, if anything, had an influence on us?

In my case, I cannot think of a single thing my parents did or said that made the slightest difference.

I've been through this. It is an awful experience, you blame yourselves, you feel helpless and angry. But it does get better, to a greater or lesser extent.

However, it is VERY pungent so shouldn't be too hard to spot if they are near it (though that doesn't prove they were smoking it).

This is very true - I don't but I do go in pubs where SOME of the clientele do and you can tell them just by the smell of their clothing, Skunk, It is aptly named!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom