Weedkiller

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Piff

MB Enthusiast
Car
Porsche Macan S
Anyone know where I can get a strong weedkiller to cover approx 700sq.m at a sensible price. Used to use sodium chloride, but it doesn't seem to be available any more.
Would rather use one that sterilises the ground as I don't need to plant anything for about 9 to 12 months.
"Round up" or similar would only kill the current crop of weeds, and there would be a fresh crop within a few weeks:wallbash:

Anyone know where I can get a strong weedkiller to cover approx 700sq.m at a sensible price. Used to use sodium chloride, but it doesn't seem to be available any more.
Would rather use one that sterilises the ground as I don't need to plant anything for about 9 to 12 months.
"Round up" or similar would only kill the current crop of weeds, and there would be a fresh crop within a few weeks:wallbash:

Sodium chloride is common table salt, did you mean sodium chlorate?

Try this:

Ground Clear Weed Control 15 Sachet Tub, Modern Alternative to Sodium Chlorate: Amazon.co.uk: Home & Garden

Or try agricultural suppliers for other products or ask a local friendly farmer to suggest something?

You can still by sodium chlorate and there is nothing to beat it for wholesale weed obliteration. Google is your friend :thumb:

An agricultural/farming supply store, rather than consumer. You'll get generic stuff rather than an eqivalent retail brand, but the saving is very substantial.

Last edited:
with my farming hat on;

glyphosate - roundup it will clear it

to keep it clear you'll need a residual such as;

ronstar
standon roxx
kerb flo

I'd avoid sodium chlorate it really screws up soil structure and micro organisms etc

Glyphosate is probably the cheapest 20 litres is £60 plus vat from my supplier, you want the 360g/l glyphosate not the garden centre stuff. Max individual dose is 5 litres per hectare you'll need 0.4 litres per application

Hope that helps

Paul

with my farming hat on;

glyphosate - roundup it will clear it

to keep it clear you'll need a residual such as;

ronstar
standon roxx
kerb flo

I'd avoid sodium chlorate it really screws up soil structure and micro organisms etc

Glyphosate is probably the cheapest 20 litres is £60 plus vat from my supplier, you want the 360g/l glyphosate not the garden centre stuff. Max individual dose is 5 litres per hectare you'll need 0.4 litres per application

Hope that helps

Paul
Paul, would you mind sharing the name of your supplier? I got charged £50 for 5 litres of 360g/l glyphosate!!

I got some sodium chlorate from a gardener friend... to take to my house in France... its really good at killing weeds... but not so good if you pack it in the boot yourself then hold the steering wheel ... causes problems at the tunnel.... nice man there eventually believed me when he saw I also had a "hozelock" spray in the boot.

I got some sodium chlorate from a gardener friend... to take to my house in France... its really good at killing weeds... but not so good if you pack it in the boot yourself then hold the steering wheel ... causes problems at the tunnel.... nice man there eventually believed me when he saw I also had a "hozelock" spray in the boot.

Yep triggers the explosives and chemical detectors you can do some pretty nasty stuff with sodium chlorate as chemistry students often demonstrate using phone boxes on rag week

But yes does stuff up the soil organics but that can be rectified by further treatment

Yep triggers the explosives and chemical detectors you can do some pretty nasty stuff with sodium chlorate as chemistry students often demonstrate using phone boxes on rag week

But yes does stuff up the soil organics but that can be rectified by further treatment

It needs heat or a source of ignition and sugar as a source of energy. ;)

If the paranoid folk are right -- then this talk of weedkiller and sugar has just got this forum on a CIA watchlist...... oh well, not planning on going to the states anyway..

Haven't bought any weed killer yet - the weeds are still growing
Any one had any experience of these or these?
I have borrowed a parafin one in the past, but the lender gave it away to someone else! It was a little heavy for prolonged use but did the job at the time.

They kill top growth but not necessarily the roots of perennials.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom