Weekend car suggestions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 11979

I am hoping to buy a present for myself this year, and would appreciate suggestions

It's going to be a long term keeper and I would like to keep one eye on future values, no depreciation allowed!! With this is mind the fewer expensive repairs waiting in the wings the better too, but it is going to be used and maintained as it needs it

I'd like a classic or modern classic with 6 or 8 cylinders, sunroof or convertible top and 2 doors.

Budget would be no more than £20k

The only stipulation is that we live rurally, so ground clearance and forgiving wheel rims are a must

How do you feel about a 124 Cabriolet...?

Now is the time to invest in a R129 ; values are only going one way .

I've had both and loved both, they are at the top of my list actually, along with a Porsche 996 as I've never had anything that smart before.

I'm told the 996 can be pricey to maintain, only to be expected I guess.

I was toying with getting both r129 and w124 cab as luckily I have garage space.

I also fancy a bmw e46 m3, drove one once and was taken with the thing to say the least

996's like to be used park them up for use as a weekender and the maintenance bills start to mount up rapidly.

The ground clearance and fogiving alloys leave me a bit stumped to suggest anything. Will put my thinking cap on

I suppose £20K would either buy you a really nice , low mileage R129 , but could also scrape into reasonable R107 territory . It is very much like comparing a W123 with a W124 : the later cars are more dynamic in their handling and more fuel efficient ( perhaps not such a concern in a weekend car ) while the earlier ones are more solidly built and more of a classic feel to them , 107 probably better ground clearance too , but more danger of getting one with expensive to fix hidden rot .

For the V8 growl, what about a 928? For appreciating value, albeit with 4 cylinders, a 968 sport or cabriolet. You'll have to be quick to get a good 968 Sport for under £20k, values have taken off in the past year or so - for example, good 968CS you're now looking at £25-30k!!

Another vote for an R129 SL500. Standard alloys are 16" up to 1998 or 1999 and ground clearance isn't bad. Get one with ADS like mine and you could probably go green-laning ... you can raise it in 2 stages via a rocker switch for the full monster truck look :D

996's are great and are steadily rising in price.

3.4 engine is great if well cared for and has no nasty noises (like anything) people say they are weak but I disagree. I had two and the last one only went wrong due to being sat around whilst I was away for 6 months. 02 sensor which came to £118 genuine.

3.6 is fantastic too and it is known to be more reliable. Often see these engines with 180k plus. The carrera 4 looks great but for me I don't like 4wd sports cars.

Try and find the 3.4 with an aero gt3 factory kit or a gen 2 3.6 with gt2 factory kit.

I replaced my 3.4 suspension a few years ago for fully adjustable coilovers all found at £900 fitted (not too bad)

I'd avoid a turbo at sub 20k unless it is a rare bargain that's actually nice as cheap ones have usually had the **** torn out of them.

Shame about ground clearance and V8.

Lotus Elise/Exige would make for a great weekend car.

Do love a 996.
Have had 2 of them in the early noughties and seriously thinking of another next year.
A buddy of mine runs Portiacraft in Mill Hill and if bought carefully they can be a very good buy.

These 996s warrant further investigation I think.

As I'm weird, I fancy an early one with orange indicators and a colourful interior, I've seen some lovely tan, red and even green interiors

Anything to watch with them? Do they rust?

I'm also intrigued by the Targa, however, having had an Audi A2 with the open sky and having it fail I am a little wary of these panoramic roofs

I had an 02 and the other, I can't remember.
02 was a 2wd and the second was a 4wd cab in black.

They do have their problems. Something to do with bore scoring and some type of seal failure. All the info is online.

16000 can get you a very good one.:bannana:

Left field suggestion; TVR Tuscan or Tamora.

I had a brand new Tuscan on a Y plate and it was sublime. To buy an absolutely perfect model now would set you back a bit more than 20000.

I also had a T350 bought new on a 54 plate. It went back after 8 days and I got a full refund.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom