Weekly Top Gear thread 07/11/04

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fuzzer

MB Enthusiast
Car
F25 X3 20d SE
did you see anything as daft as that tourist in the 4x4 going up that ben.

I thought it was a good way to take the Family out for a picnic.

It could catch on.

was brill :bannana: :bannana:

Suppose its like trying to sell chocolate to someone that works at mars :p

It needed help 2 times though as it got stuck.

uumode said:
It needed help 2 times though as it got stuck.

Only because Clarkson didn't engage "Hovercraft" mode to traverse deep peat bogs.

I see that the good ol' MB Stealership network came in for another panning. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: The sad thing is, I doubt they'll sit up and take any notice.

S.

Steve_Perry said:
I see that the good ol' MB Stealership network came in for another panning. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: The sad thing is, I doubt they'll sit up and take any notice.

S.

Oh yes they did.

All the dealer principles watching the programme, said in chorus "who do they think they are, they can all F*!K OFF".

I find the program totally boring they spend far too much time on the very few cars they have on, that land rover took up a third of the program.

gary

Great to see a Land Rover doing so well, we are all quick to criticise British cars (even though they are owned by johnny foreigner). Not my cup of tea but that hill climb was a real coup for Land Rover's marketing!!

As for Merc dealers so far I have been impressed and I had quite a few bad experiences with BMW including my wifes car being allowed back on the road with a fault that caused the engine to cut out at 80mph on the M40!!!

My best dealer for the service side so far has been a vauxhall dealer!!

I thought the Landrover bit was quite interesting, BUT, it failed the test. It needed to be pulled out TWICE by TG minions. I could go up to the top in my 1982 230E if I had someone to pull it out of the bog/river/gulley or whatever every time it needed it, which, admittedly, would be many more times than the LR. Do Landrovers come with an optional "I'm an idiot, get me out of here" crew in the boot or backseat? Since the thing weighs more than a RR Phantom I'm guessing they do.
If Clarkson had been up there on his own without his mobile phone he'd still be there.
The prog. is getting increasingly silly.

I couldnt agree more ...

And that segment that they whittle on about restoring the classic cars was met in our living room with .... not this P**h again ...

Its turning into something that you record and fast forward to the good bits..

don't you miss the cheeky 30 min top gear of old :(

neilrr said:
I thought the Landrover bit was quite interesting, BUT, it failed the test. It needed to be pulled out TWICE by TG minions. I could go up to the top in my 1982 230E if I had someone to pull it out of the bog/river/gulley or whatever every time it needed it, which, admittedly, would be many more times than the LR. Do Landrovers come with an optional "I'm an idiot, get me out of here" crew in the boot or backseat? Since the thing weighs more than a RR Phantom I'm guessing they do.
If Clarkson had been up there on his own without his mobile phone he'd still be there.
The prog. is getting increasingly silly.

A bit harsh, if you see the number of times a 4wd car needs to be pulled out in any race or 4wd course. The all carry an "idiots get you out kit as standard". I have driven a tank off road and managed to get that stuck!! Could you see an X5 or X3 even making it as far as a Landrover or an RX300?

Like I said earlier stop Brit bashing nice to see a British designed and built product actually manage to do something worthy even it did not go quite according to plan.

I have to disagree with some opinions here. I really enjoy the current format. Yes ok they spend a lot of time on unusual cars, hypercars and strange stunts but if they went back to the "good old days" the reviews would be mind numbingly dull...... "Here we have model X from Vauxhall designed by the same computer that designed every other euro blob on the road, using the most of the same parts as every other euro blob on the market"
For the word "Vauxhall" please fell free to substitute 90% of car manufacturers on the market today.
The old top gear worked because the cars they reviewed actually had character and a genuine difference between them.
Top gear in my view is great entertainment and from a personal perspective, if I what more info on a specific everyday car then I go out and buy a mag.
Steps down from the box and awaits backlash
:rolleyes:

My thoughts are with Lotusmark2 - the fact that the show is different every week is what separates it from the other shows. Just because they don't show the exact cars I want doesn't make it less enjoyable.

I especially like they way the state their opinions so strongly, even if they are different to mine. Imagine how p155ed off the people are who loaned him that Veyron watch and he slated it!!!!

jezyg said:
A bit harsh, if you see the number of times a 4wd car needs to be pulled out in any race or 4wd course. The all carry an "idiots get you out kit as standard". I have driven a tank off road and managed to get that stuck!! Could you see an X5 or X3 even making it as far as a Landrover or an RX300?

Having driven an RX300 offroad in conditions similar to clarkston with that land rover .. i didnt get stuck .. might have run over a few grouse .. but didnt get stuck .. i was rather impressed.....

fuzzer said:
Having driven an RX300 offroad in conditions similar to clarkston with that land rover .. i didnt get stuck .. might have run over a few grouse .. but didnt get stuck .. i was rather impressed.....

I hope you changed the tyres beforhand ;)

I used to be a LR and general 4x4 enthusiast, they got that Disco stuck on purpose, you could see it coming. That car is a very capable off roader, indeed probably the best available apart from possibly some xtreme custom made jobbies.

It would be boring TV if it just drove straight up there, which I am sure it could if given the chance and not driven intentionally into a bog. When driving off road like that you should walk the terrain first which they probably did to find the bogs.

I suspect the helpers were from LR, the whole thing was a bit of good publicity for them. I have had both a Mk1 and Mk2 Disco, OK vehicles but very underpowered as diesel variants. Why oh why do they not put a decent engine in them? What size is the new TD6? 3.0L at the most where as the petrols are 4.4L where is the logic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom