Weird clonking noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jadefox

Car
GLA AMG 220 CDI
I have this brief clonking noise sometimes (not every time) which usually happens if I am pulling away at lights after having my foot on the break for a while. It seems to be just one clonk, and it comes from the passenger rear side I believe.

Any ideas what might be causing it?

Thanks Malcolm, now if only my hubby or I were technical enough to do jobs like that ourselves! I'll get a guy I found here on the forum to have a look if it gets worse I think. :)

Broken spring?

Very common at the moment. I seem to be replacing loads.

Now, let's see...

I've been told it's a worn steering coupling, worn torque rod end bushes and latest, strut top mount!!

Yes, I too have a strange clonk eminating from the front. The car has been seen by two dealers with two diagnosis. Tomorrow my dealer will replace the NSF strut top mount

I'll let you know if it fixes it.....

Now, let's see...

I've been told it's a worn steering coupling, worn torque rod end bushes and latest, strut top mount!!

Yes, I too have a strange clonk eminating from the front. The car has been seen by two dealers with two diagnosis. Tomorrow my dealer will replace the NSF strut top mount

I'll let you know if it fixes it.....

Did you ever get it fixed? Or is there still a clonking? lol

Both front strut top mounts replaced and both torque control arm bushes replaced and still clonks when turning! :crazy:

Ollie suggests roll bar mounts/bushes. Did a bit of research myself and MB itself suggests worn steering coupling (that's two for the coupling) and also the steering thrust washer(?). Apparently some cars have plastic washers! These should be replaced with aluminium parts..

The saga continues next week :(

Both front strut top mounts replaced and both torque control arm bushes replaced and still clonks when turning! :crazy:

Ollie suggests roll bar mounts/bushes. Did a bit of research myself and MB itself suggests worn steering coupling (that's two for the coupling) and also the steering thrust washer(?). Apparently some cars have plastic washers! These should be replaced with aluminium parts..

The saga continues next week :(
I do wish you well with the fault, and good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom