WEIRD fault C55 2005

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mayfair

Car
mercedes w124 estate
Discussion Starter • #1 a moment ago

Hello

Having a nightmare with this c class - any advice wellcome driving me nuts

Can go to the car cold and its ok then..... after warms up this happens

wont go into drive the auto trans shifter is locked it wont budge

the ASR fault shows on dash
the ABS light comes on
ABS fault shows on dash

leave for a good while - get in its as god as gold -no faults showing on dash
goes into drive - drive for say 2 miles it goes into limp mode with all of the above
showing again.

leave for a couple of hours - starts and goes into drive - no warning lights on dash
drives for 2 or 3 miles happens again

Any ideas ?

Alan

cant get anyone who has STAR till back end of next week was hoping someone
may have had a similar experience.

Might not need star, any half decent DIY scan tool will give you a clue . I have an almost 150K mile C55 and (fortunately) have not had this issue. Super durable engine bolted to a proven transmission. Get the codes read. anything is is just speculation and a waste of your time.

wont go into drive the auto trans shifter is locked it wont budge

the ASR fault shows on dash
the ABS light comes on
ABS fault shows on dash

With the disclaimer that I'm just guessing here, and I've not had experience of any such problems myself.

The automatic gearbox won't let you select drive/reverse without the brake being pressed.

So, one way this could happen is if there was a problem with the brakes, perhaps to do with the brake light switch? That might explain the brake and gearbox issues co-occuring. Apparently the switch moved from the pedal itself to the brake servo, under the bonnet, at the 2004 facelift.

When the car's not working, get someone to stand behind and see if the brake lights come on when you press the brake pedal. If not, that's a strong indication that the reason you can't get it into drive is because it's not registering that you're pressing the brake.

Otherwise it could be another problem with the brakes (likely some sensor somewhere failed). Hopefully it'll be a cheap fix.

Many thanks Samoht
thats the kind of advice i was looking for - the baffling thing is the fault codes self clear and the fact that after a while it rights itself

I think that only STAR will go deep enough into the system to give a pointer rather than another scanner -ive had that scenario in the past many times.

It sometimes is worth posting ,just in case someone has had the same fault and saves hours of trying to chase the fault down

I will try your suggestion ,once again thanks for the tip Samoht
much more helpful than a forum groupies - get the codes read post .
i suppose it helps them top up the post counter but only dilutes the
thread

It's amazing what systems are linked to a brake light switch. Not a Benz, but our Sorento started showing ESP OFF for no apparent reason. It would only reset after turning the engine off. Then the cruise control refused to SET although the master light came on as usual. It's a manual box so can't talk about interlinking there but highly likely it would be.
Anyway picked up rumours on the net about faulty brake light switches. I thought that would be a cheap and easy place to start. It was. £11 switch from motor factors (Kia wanted £34). Hardest part was curling up in the footwell to do the work. Problem solved.

hi guys much appreciate the replies - tried all lights only fault was divers mirror not working

tested every single fuse in car all ok

noticed the ASR light on the switch - not illuminating when switched pressed ???

will keep digging

alan

This from MercedesMedic:
Check the brake light switch. The brake light switch is probably one of the main cause that triggers BAS/ASR light problems. The switch doesn’t only turn on the brake lights on the rear, but the input from the switch is used by other systems including ABS, ASR and BAS.

To check if the brake light switch is the problem pay close attention when the BAS/ASR lights come on.

Do ASR/BAS lights come on as soon as you press the brake pedal?

If the ASR/BAS lights come on as soon as you push the brake pedal, the brake light switch is most likely the problem.

It is not worth repairing the original brake light switch. Since the brake light switch is relatively cheap (check prices on Amazon) and often the main problem it is better just to replace it. Replacing the brake light switch is easy.

Hi thanks for reply - the ESP light comes on after a mile or two then the car goes into limp showing ABS and ESP light
there is no illumination on the ESP light on the switch when on or off

the rear brake lights are coming on ok so i assume the switch is ok or can the fault above still occur when both rear brake ligts work ?

alan

Hi thanks for reply - the ESP light comes on after a mile or two then the car goes into limp showing ABS and ESP light
there is no illumination on the ESP light on the switch when on or off

the rear brake lights are coming on ok so i assume the switch is ok or can the fault above still occur when both rear brake ligts work ?

alan
On our car the brake lights still worked. Only other thing I can think of is have you disconnected or replaced your battery recently? System reset?

I will try your suggestion ,once again thanks for the tip Samoht
much more helpful than a forum groupies - get the codes read post .
i suppose it helps them top up the post counter but only dilutes the
thread
A word to the wise... We're here to help, and this forum is pretty civilised. When electrical faults crop up on a Mercedes - and they do, a lot - nine times out of ten getting the codes read is the first step in finding out what is wrong, and is the advice you will get. If you're going to make comments suggesting it's just a forum groupie topping up a post count - and the member who suggested it has nearly 6000 posts, while you have 9 - you're not going to make many friends here.

e55 bof & petrol pete
I reservedly apologise - for 20 years of using the usa benzworld forum i have lost count
of the threads stopped in their tracks by the type of posters i described
diverting the thread to some unrelated issue

At the time time of posting i was pulling my hair out with this one and wrongly
forgetting that the whole forum knew what was in my head (obviously they are not mind readers :) )

so once again sorry for being such a **** head

hope all is forgiven Al

anyway i have done a bit more investigation and come to the conclusion that it
i the brake fluid pressure sensor .Merc ones i have seen at up to £160 ,however
if anyone needs one i have found parts co that do them for £35 posted after shopping
using the manufacturers (not mercedes) part numbers

so if it helps anyone .....

MB part number - A00225428418
same part is 00522 99241 2404 MYA 3PP2-3 very common pressure sensor

e55 bof & petrol pete
I reservedly apologise - for 20 years of using the usa benzworld forum i have lost count
of the threads stopped in their tracks by the type of posters i described
diverting the thread to some unrelated issue

At the time time of posting i was pulling my hair out with this one and wrongly
forgetting that the whole forum knew what was in my head (obviously they are not mind readers :) )

so once again sorry for being such a **** head

hope all is forgiven Al

anyway i have done a bit more investigation and come to the conclusion that it
i the brake fluid pressure sensor .Merc ones i have seen at up to £160 ,however
if anyone needs one i have found parts co that do them for £35 posted after shopping
using the manufacturers (not mercedes) part numbers

so if it helps anyone .....

MB part number - A00225428418
same part is 00522 99241 2404 MYA 3PP2-3 very common pressure sensor
No problem , apology accepted. Let us know if it cures the issue :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom