Weird Keyboard Antics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

l5foye

Car
ML 300CDI
Recently I went to use the @ key but what came up was " . When I used the key for ",it came up as @. The key for pound comes up as #. The keys for $, %, ^ ,& ,* ( and ) all work normally. It appears that at least 3 keys are not working properly. Is this issue fixable?

Is this Windows? Which version? Sounds like your keyboard setting has been changed for some reason - should be easy to switch it back.

Check the region settings on your Keyboard in control panel / system prefs

If it is windows then control panel, language, ensure it English UK. Also check control panel, region and either set as UK or to match windows.

Yes it is just the wrong keyboard selection, but in order to provide you with a fix it is rather important to let us know what operating system you have. For example a Mac will have the @ above the 2, whilst Windows will have it two to the left of RETURN. Yet both are UK English keyboards ;)

It is easily fixable and remapped.

As already said, it's the keyboard layout settings - in particular, you have somehow selected US keyboard layout.

You will also notice, the back slash key and tilde keys are mapped differently on the US keyboard.

Nowadays, the best options when buying new keybord is to look for a mechanical one. They are more expensive than standards but worth every penny.

On the Windows task bar along the bottom of the screen, you may see ENG UK (over two lines) or ENG INTL. If it says ENG INTL, click on it and select ENG UK. My Windows 10 PC is switching this setting regularly and I haven't found the cause, but know the solution.

Thank you all for the helpful replies -problem now fixed. Maybe having a Chinese wife had something to do with it - lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom