Weird Noise S210 Climate control...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LawrenceMB

Car
Work wagon: 1998 S210 E320 . Holidays: 2000 S210 E55. Sunny days! 2000 CLK430
Hi,
Whenever I turn on the Climate Control on my facelift 210 estate, whether it be heating or A/C, I get this weird kind of 'constantly-changing-tone-whistling-noise. It gets worse or better if you change the fan speed setting. It sounds to be more towards the front passanger side of the dash. The Mrs says just turn the radio on but it's bugging me!
Has anyone had any experience with this please? I'm guessing some kind of vacuum line/connector leak? (which I'm dreading means taking the dash out!)
The actual operation of the climate control works fine in all settings - in fact nice to finally have a car 'new' enough (for me anyway - these are the circles I move in I'm afraid! :) ) to have a windscreen demister that works so quickly!
Any advice much appreciated :)
Cheers,
Lawrence

Hi,
If it were mine I think I would look at replacing the pollen filter/s (if it has,nt been done recently) and possibly lubricating the bearings on the fan motor.
Pollen filter and fan motor are in the passenger footwell behind the lower dash trim.

Does the car have the rotary controls or the digital climate control unit.
If the latter it probably is a vacuum pipe disconnected.

Thanks Gentlemen.....and Merry Xmas !! Yes, I've done the pollen filters & it made no odds. Havn't lubed the blower fan bearing though - is that done with just a little spray lube of some kind? (worth mentioning though the noise doesn't change with fan speed)
Yes, it is the climate control unit type with digital read-out. If it is a vacuum pipe off then would that mean dash out?
Thanks again to you both.

Try fully closing or opening the face vent on the passenger side.

Is it not low on gas?
Like a hiss sound with air con on.
Turn A/C off and see if the sound goes.

As Zenman said, they hiss when low on gas, the lower it gets the higher the pitch.

Turn off the climate and see if it stops, sometimes takes a few minutes for it to turn off when the button is pressed.

Hi guys & sorry for late reply to your input:
I've tried fully opening & closing the passanger face vent & that makes no odds.
It does also still make the noise even when the aircon is off.
I do only hear it on low fan speeds, but then again maybe that's because the sound of the fan at higher speeds drowns it out?
Anymore suggestions please?
Thanks,
Lawrence

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom