'Weird' sounds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BenzMW

Car
W211 E320 Sport CDI
Hey everyone,

My car makes funny...sounds, I've linked 3 videos, 2 of which are the engine sound and one of the suspension I'm guessing.

Engine video: One with the hood open, but the camera mic picks up more noises so difficult to hear the noise in question, except just near the end where it is fairly audible after revving.
The video with the hood close you can hear the sound, and it seems to be rotational so definitely something of that nature.

The driving video, it's coming near the driver side, and I'm going back and forth over a dip in the rode, and it squeaks and groans like hell, and it always does this on the roads (can't really hear it when you drive with the windows up and music on!)

For the engine sound, I think the 0.28 seconds video picks it up the best, at around the 16 second mark, you are able to here the noise.
Link for video:
Google photos

Appreciate any inputs!

I've never had an oiler so I couldn't hear anything wrong on the first two but the third sounded like a duff ball joint to me.

Get it down to PCS in Horndean to investigate the first two noises!

Hi,

We would be happy to help if we can. This computer has no sound on it so cant listen at the moment.

The engine noise videos , to my ears sound very rattly ; first thing - is there enough oil in the engine ? Second , not sure if I'm hearing excessive tappet noise , or a rattling timing chain - it is hard to determine through my small laptop speakers .

It would do no harm to perform an oil change , putting in a new filter and the correct quantity of the correct grade of oil for the car . What mileage is on the engine ? Has it been serviced regularly ? Is the car showing good oil pressure on the gauge ?

The suspension noise , could be ARB bushes , or as John says , a ball joint .

I recently changed the engine oil, so it has the correct amount and with an OEM filter. I did change the oil grade from 5w/30 to 5w40 (229.5) so perhaps that is what is causing the sound? Although looking at the service history it has pretty much always had 5w40, except about 2 or 3 services where the Mercedes dealership used 5w30.

I sprayed some PTFE spray on the rubber bits of the driver side suspension, and the noise pretty much goes away...?

Reactions: 219
The engine noise videos , to my ears sound very rattly ; first thing - is there enough oil in the engine ? Second , not sure if I'm hearing excessive tappet noise , or a rattling timing chain - it is hard to determine through my small laptop speakers .

It would do no harm to perform an oil change , putting in a new filter and the correct quantity of the correct grade of oil for the car . What mileage is on the engine ? Has it been serviced regularly ? Is the car showing good oil pressure on the gauge ?

The suspension noise , could be ARB bushes , or as John says , a ball joint .

Where is the oil pressure gauge?

I recently changed the engine oil, so it has the correct amount and with an OEM filter. I did change the oil grade from 5w/30 to 5w40 (229.5) so perhaps that is what is causing the sound? Although looking at the service history it has pretty much always had 5w40, except about 2 or 3 services where the Mercedes dealership used 5w30.

I sprayed some PTFE spray on the rubber bits of the driver side suspension, and the noise pretty much goes away...?
As long as both oils meet the spec for that car , the difference won't be the problem . Does the car have a high mileage ?

Just surpassed 100k, last week, and nope, just a fuel and temperature gauge. I noticed the oil is slightly over the max line, so I'll suck some out and see if that makes a difference 🤞

No oil pressure gauge on 211s - at least the petrols I've seen.

I've not seen oil pressure on any petrol since my first car which was a D reg Opel Manta.

The difference between 0w30 and 0w40 only really matters when you get to extremes of temperature.

It might not be a knackered ball joint but a leggy car (6 figure mileage + and / or 6 years +) will probably start to need suspension components doing at some point.

PTFE (or other lubricant) is possibly masking it.

No oil pressure gauge on 211s - at least the petrols I've seen.

I've not seen oil pressure on any petrol since my first car which was a D reg Opel Manta.

The difference between 0w30 and 0w40 only really matters when you get to extremes of temperature.

It might not be a knackered ball joint but a leggy car (6 figure mileage + and / or 6 years +) will probably start to need suspension components doing at some point.

PTFE (or other lubricant) is possibly masking it.
Seems like such a basic thing to remove to save a few pennies ; every Merc I’ve had from my 1957 Ponton to my 1999 W140 has one ; much more useful than a light which only comes on when it’s too late .

The squeak could be any number of things , but I’d think ARB bushes ; also agree about doing ball joints as a preventative job .

Mileage is not interstellar, but could be a weak timing chain tensioner .

If oil level is over , it can cause issues , so worth removing some .

Seems like such a basic thing to remove to save a few pennies ; every Merc I’ve had from my 1957 Ponton to my 1999 W140 has one ; much more useful than a light which only comes on when it’s too late .

They removed brake pad wear sensors from some cars these days... even more annoying than the OPG.

I suppose cars have so many things they've tried to simply although I suspect it's money saving / making (selling replacement parts for knackered engines...).

I think I blew my OPG overfilling my Manta - not that I really cared or had much mechanical sympathy at 18.

Reactions: 219
Dup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom