weird static radio sound only when driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jasonc46

Car
Mercedes c200 kompressor petrol 1.8 2005
I just got a Mercedes c200 kompressor petrol and lpg bi fuel gas c class c220 on ebay 2005, and probably should not have because i had an uneasy feeling about the seller.

Anyway i decided to do another test run after the purchase and i could hear what seemed like the radio between stations. I didn't pay attention during the pre purchase test drive,

I don't even remember hearing it. I initially just thought it was the radio but i still heard it when the radio was off.

It only makes the sound when driving and seems less pronounced when coasting.

Very strange it's almost like its coming from the front dash near the windscreen as if its a static speaker sound.

Its not very loud but still loud enough to be something that really distracts from driving.

Other slightly alarming signs where the auto shifter not seeming to select gear when stationary.

I turned the car off, restarted it and the problem was gone but on one or 2 occasions it did seem to jolt into gear even when driving as well.

Also when I was stationary and moved through the gears by hand the car did seem to jolt into gear like you really knew when reverse or drive was selected.

The seller informed me under the gear box fascia to the left was a screw apparently put there to move what i guess is gearbox sensor?

And then we move onto the brakes that have a pronounced knock sound when brake pedal is pushed quickly.

Does anyone know what these problems might be?

1. The static "radio" sound which appears only when driving
2. Jolt/ heavy gear selection when static and sometimes like the gear stick wont actually select any gear or move.
3. Less prominent but when driving a jolt into gear
4. Clonk when the brakes are pressed quickly (like a knock sound)

Other then that this is my first Merc and its a Joy to drive very comfy :) just hope their isn't any major work needed :(

There's a chance the static radio sound may be the parking brake cable rubbing on the propshaft. Said cable is attached to the transmission tunnel by brittle plastic clips which can and do break, allowing the cable to rub on the propshaft.

As for the rest I'm afraid I can't help, other than to ask when was the transmission fluid last checked and/or changed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom