Weird wiper behaviour R230

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PhantomF4

Car
R230 Thulite Red
First time in serious rain today and the wipers on my 2007 R230 started misbehaving.

No issues on low or high speed, but on auto sensing wipe they started off normally then after maybe five or six sweeps went into overdrive.

I know from experience of other Mercs that they respond to vehicle speed and rain intensity but mine seem to have a mind of their own.

Sitting in light drizzle at traffic lights they went from lazy once per second wiping to Nurburgring in a monsoon kind of wiping speed.

Turning them off then back on only sorts the problem for a while before the whole cycle starts again.

Anyone got any suggestions (apart from only driving on dry days)?

First time in serious rain today and the wipers on my 2007 R230 started misbehaving.

No issues on low or high speed, but on auto sensing wipe they started off normally then after maybe five or six sweeps went into overdrive.

I know from experience of other Mercs that they respond to vehicle speed and rain intensity but mine seem to have a mind of their own.

Sitting in light drizzle at traffic lights they went from lazy once per second wiping to Nurburgring in a monsoon kind of wiping speed.

Turning them off then back on only sorts the problem for a while before the whole cycle starts again.

Anyone got any suggestions (apart from only driving on dry days)?
Give the screen and blades a very good clean is the best start point , it happens on both my MB’s occasionally.
After so much dry weather the amount of road grease thrown up after the first rain was huge

Give the screen and blades a very good clean is the best start point , it happens on both my MB’s occasionally.
After so much dry weather the amount of road grease thrown up after the first rain was huge
Thanks W1ghty, I’ll get right omto it. I’ve some Mercedes intensive screen cleaner in the garage and she definitely needs a bath after yesterday’s weather!

Cheers for the tip, I’ll report back later.

I found the Mercedes auto wipe system a bit iffy at best. On all my Mercs the wipers on auto seemed to have a mind of their own, wipe fast when it is just drizzling, wipe slowly when it is raining harder, and they never seem to turn on or off when I would do it myself.

Mind you the auto headlights were very much the same so maybe it was me.

Good quality good condition wiper blades are must.

sometimes those wondercleaners (well have experienced difference even between regular washer cleaner stuffs) coatings put stupid coating on screen which feints rain sensor. Remove coating on sensor area by ethanol etc. 'optic cleaner' stuff.

when the rain sensor starts to "misbehave", it's time to change the wiper blades

sometimes those wondercleaners (well have experienced difference even between regular washer cleaner stuffs) coatings put stupid coating on screen which feints rain sensor. Remove coating on sensor area by ethanol etc. 'optic cleaner' stuff.
I know what you mean but the genuine Mercedes stuff is pretty amazing. If it still hasn’t done the trick I’ll try the Navy solution for cloudy periscope lenses, neat gin!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom