Welcome new member

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Timwalton007

Car
Merc c180 coupe
Hi guys
New to the forum and just want to say hello to all members and thank you all for input to help keep these wonderful cars where they should be and that on the tarmac not the garage concrete
I am currently driving a Mercedes clk200 convertible in black on a 08 plate
I also own a c180 estate and a c160 coupe sport both in silver on 05 55 plates
Clk is running like clockwork however not can be said for the estate the poor car was driving like a it was on a carpet of air till one morning got the dreaded chain rattle so I’ve taken her of road to replace whole timing gear
Now I have a question to all who could possibly help me out with this coupe I currently own
It’s is a c160 sport with the w207 engine in I believe it’s on a 55 plate with 145 k miles on
It’s had no end of services timing chains belts maf all replace in the last 6 months not because of any problem just as a matter of service
It’s acquired a problem that I carnt seam to solve I think to my knowledge it could be the fuel regulator but not 100% sure so here we go
Sorry for the long wind story
go out on a morning cold start first start of the day car cranks splutters you life cuts out then no start
Strong smell of unburnt fuel petrol out of exhaust
Pull fuel pump fuse in rear Sam 20amp car burst to life then cuts out due to lack of fuel replace fuel pump fuse cars starts then continues to run the flattens out to around 7 8 rpm then runs sweet as rest of day cold start happens all over again
Any help towards the matter would be gratefully welcome thank you and await your replies thank you

Almost certainly something to do with that elaborate saddle tank pump and fuel cross transfer system located in the two halves. It would suggest that that on start up no excess fuel is being returned to the pump side but all going to the engine overfuelling it. Pulling the "fuel pump" fuse [ and possibly other associated tank components]and starting the engine allows the system to reset somehow restoring the fuel return/ pressure regulator system and the overfuelling stops.
That's where I'd be looking first??

ps this is a diagram it features twin pumps but the same arrangement holds for a single pump.
343184d1478964329-changed-fuel-pump-big-problem-fuel-tank-now-w211-e55-fuel-system-diagram.jpg

Last edited:
Almost certainly something to do with that elaborate saddle tank pump and fuel cross transfer system located in the two halves. It would suggest that that on start up no excess fuel is being returned to the pump side but all going to the engine overfuelling it. Pulling the "fuel pump" fuse [ and possibly other associated tank components]and starting the engine allows the system to reset somehow restoring the fuel return/ pressure regulator system and the overfuelling stops.
That's where I'd be looking first??

ps this is a diagram it features twin pumps but the same arrangement holds for a single pump.
343184d1478964329-changed-fuel-pump-big-problem-fuel-tank-now-w211-e55-fuel-system-diagram.jpg

Thank you for your reply
I have read about this the fuel pipe comes off or gets brittle in the tank apparently I will investigate this soon as and post my findings
This is what is happening the car over fuels then pulling the fuse must stop fuel thus putting air fuel mixture somewhere back to right that’s then firing but then stops cause fuel is not there soon as fuse goes back in it’s there first blip of the key
Thank you again

Hi guys
Need a little help again on a merc c180 estate auto 108 k miles drove faultless
Went out one morning cold morning turned key for about 20 secs got this what I would say chain rattle then it cleared up car run without fault no errors no eml lights Drove 360 miles 180 one way stop for a hour 180 back all well did same journey again three days later all well no issues no errors nothing the day after
Went out turn key same 20 seconds rattle but then was running lumpy elm light on errors reading system to lean misfire low fuel so I headed up to the garage only 2 mins up road fuelled up paid
Went out turned key clatter clatter then engine free spinning just fast free spinning as if no compression
Called recovery got car back home removed rocker chain sprockets all in there where supposed to be
I removed chain to check sprockets for wear sure enough tips of the sprocket missing worn of new chain sprocket tensioner kit required
Buy instead of investing a load of cash into kit I thought hang on they may be more damage than just sprocket chain etc
Retimed the car tdc to make sure tdc was where it should be dropped a long screw driver into pot one screw driver up to top it on flywheel in line with crank case
Set the top two sprocket with the cylinder head timing marks refitted chain and tensioner crank engine round not resistance timing marks all back to marks
cut the fuel supply so she didn’t fire
Turn key for a brief couple of second to build up a little oil pressure so the tensioner was tight ish
But the motor just free spinning as if I hadn’t touch the thing
Do any of you guys know what I have possibly done wrong in the timing procedure am I 180 degrees out on one of the cam may be
Any help suggestions would be gratefully appropriate
Thank you all

Hi guys
Need a little help again on a merc c180 estate auto 108 k miles drove faultless
Went out one morning cold morning turned key for about 20 secs got this what I would say chain rattle then it cleared up car run without fault no errors no eml lights Drove 360 miles 180 one way stop for a hour 180 back all well did same journey again three days later all well no issues no errors nothing the day after
Went out turn key same 20 seconds rattle but then was running lumpy elm light on errors reading system to lean misfire low fuel so I headed up to the garage only 2 mins up road fuelled up paid
Went out turned key clatter clatter then engine free spinning just fast free spinning as if no compression
Called recovery got car back home removed rocker chain sprockets all in there where supposed to be
I removed chain to check sprockets for wear sure enough tips of the sprocket missing worn of new chain sprocket tensioner kit required
Buy instead of investing a load of cash into kit I thought hang on they may be more damage than just sprocket chain etc
Retimed the car tdc to make sure tdc was where it should be dropped a long screw driver into pot one screw driver up to top it on flywheel in line with crank case
Set the top two sprocket with the cylinder head timing marks refitted chain and tensioner crank engine round not resistance timing marks all back to marks
cut the fuel supply so she didn’t fire
Turn key for a brief couple of second to build up a little oil pressure so the tensioner was tight ish
But the motor just free spinning as if I hadn’t touch the thing
Do any of you guys know what I have possibly done wrong in the timing procedure am I 180 degrees out on one of the cam may be
Any help suggestions would be gratefully appropriate
Thank you all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom