Well Autotrader - W220

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Big ticket bill for the W220 is ABC, the W211 SBC.

Neither of these would put my off buying either car, the S-Class is obviously set up more for long distance cruising. I've owned both and in the circumstances would be happy with either again.

What will it mostly be used for?

I don't think that one will have ABC, I think it's airmatic...

Check all the electrics work
Check for rust

I wouldn't rule one out.

Mine cost a bit but was under warranty so the full price was paid for the main failures which were torque converter and airmatic struts, there are cheaper ways of fixing these outside of a dealer.

The drive is very comfortable, motorways are it's natural habitat. I found it a little nose-heavy around urban streets but, conversely, it was a pleasure to drive into central London because of the comfort and effortless feel to the car.

I put 100k miles on mine in 2 years without any grumbles about aches and pains from me.

I always enjoyed people's reaction to getting into the back seats for the first time, the legroom and seats always won praise as did the fold down illuminated vanity mirrors.

Big ticket bill for the W220 is ABC, the W211 SBC.

Neither of these would put my off buying either car, the S-Class is obviously set up more for long distance cruising. I've owned both and in the circumstances would be happy with either again.

What will it mostly be used for?

Commuting to work and back on a dual carriageway mostly. A 35 mile trip each way

How would I find if it has ABC or Airmatic?

I thought that all of these were Airmatic.

The seller mentions the suspension modes which suggests Air as you can set it to 3 different levels of stiffness.

Does the Airmatic go wrong lewyboy? Just trying to see if I will be due any heavy bills should anything goes pearshaped

In a word, yes.

As far as I know the problem areas are the struts and the pump, maybe a relay too.

Mine was just struts, 3 went in 2 years. The rears were done at the dealer at £1k each and I bought used for the front towards the end of my ownership, it wasn't a great success.

SPX knows of a way to have the struts refurbished I believe so would be worth asking him for a comparison against using the dealer, incidentally the £1k included fitting.

Ah fair enough. Coupled with the dealer only accepting cash not cards and him wanting it gone kinda put me off it even to though I would love an S Class

You learn something new every day; I'd always thought that all W220's and W215's were ABC but I was wrong! Only standard on the S600.

The S Class will be the 'better' car pound for pound but with that comes a higher risk of bigger bills.

You can pick refurbished struts up now for less than £500.

SPX anyway of knowing which? Or when I go an check it out how would I check if they are on the way out? I have come across putting soapy water over and letting it run and see if bubbles arise. I really like the S Class too more than the E class. Found a few german companies that manufacture struts for €499.

The alternative is this though: Mercedes-Benz E Class 3.0 E280 CDI Avantgarde 7G-Tronic 4dr

Last edited:
Airmatic is great , you won't want anything else after you've driven in for a bit.

There are a few companies that do refurbed struts now . Air Dominance , Arnott andMB themselves sell refurbed struts now.

Pumps aren't expensive anyway.£200 ish

I was terrified when I bought my CLS on air , but now having done some research , it's all good.

The 220 has worse things that go wrong than the air system. SAM's , dash clusters etc

I have not had a E Class ,but I can say my s class was one of my best cars,there a bench mark alright, I would have one again any day ,but but a V12 next time

You learn something new every day; I'd always thought that all W220's and W215's were ABC but I was wrong! Only standard on the S600.

Im sure ABC is standard on the S500, S600, S55, S63 and the S65.

Im also sure both the CL500 and CL600 have ABC.

Nope, Airmatic on the S500

SPX anyway of knowing which? Or when I go an check it out how would I check if they are on the way out? I have come across putting soapy water over and letting it run and see if bubbles arise. I really like the S Class too more than the E class. Found a few german companies that manufacture struts for €499.

The alternative is this though: Mercedes-Benz E Class 3.0 E280 CDI Avantgarde 7G-Tronic 4dr

Pretty sure there'll be a button on the dash above COMAND that'll say 'ABC'.

I wouldn't buy that W211 in your link, the early V6 CDi's had a few problems AND you've still got the potential SBC pump replacement cost (I actually think the SBC system is fantastic and have no problem with replacement cost).

I thought the SBC got ditched with the facelift?

I thought the SBC got ditched with the facelift?

IIRC SBC was ditched mid 2006 on the W211 / 219.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom