Well hello there

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

st4

Banned
Car
C220cdi tourer
I'd like to announce my return with a taster of what I have been doing when I have been away

On my day off last Thursday I decided to get up on my normal time for going to work...but not go to work...LOL...

I had intended for sometime to really explore the little Lochs on the A82 up through the majestic Glencoe section. This is my favourite place just to go, and drive, in the world....

However, that meaning going past one of my old photographic haunts in the Morning on Loch Lomond

DSC_0292 by [email protected], on Flickr

The jetty at Invergluss never disappoints, and it also gave me a chance to sort out my iPhone/iPod charging. Two apple devices, one charger. Not good innit...

All I had to do was work my way along the A82, slowly as it was icey and admire the views...

_DSC0635 by [email protected], on Flickr

I ain't kidding when I say you see this from the car as you drive along.

_DSC0641 by [email protected], on Flickr

Its a majestic and beautiful place as you wind up along the long sweeping sections of the 82 just passed Tyndrum...

The only issue with the 82 that the best bits to stop and take pictures have no laybys, so I drove on to a spot where I could park, so I could head back to the Lochins I wished to take pictures at.

The road also has some interesting bridges. I parked just passed here, can you guess where I am

DSC_0311 by [email protected], on Flickr

My ten min walk was worth it

DSC_0346 by [email protected], on Flickr

Cold...you bet

DSC_0325 by [email protected], on Flickr

But majestic and enchanting...

DSC_0348 by [email protected], on Flickr

Suitably cold I walked back to the car...

Further up the road I repeated the exercise but had to really improvise parking wise. Worth it, even for getting covered in mud

DSC_0352 by [email protected], on Flickr

Said swamp in there

_DSC0662 by [email protected], on Flickr

I could look at this all day...

DSC_0358 by [email protected], on Flickr

From here, its a five min drive to one of Scotlands most iconic hills. Buachaille Etive Mor and from here we take the little road down Glen Etive...

_DSC0683 by [email protected], on Flickr

Remember my "I cleaned my car and shoved some wax on thread". Well, even after the grime of Glencoe, she looks at one with the landscape in which she was made to explore the roads of. Stunning hill and backdrop for a stunning car.

Going down Glen Etive is like stepping back 50 years in time...

Check the old bike

_DSC0693 by [email protected], on Flickr

And these, where do you see these

_DSC0715 by [email protected], on Flickr

Life here stopped in 1980 but everyone kept on going....

No wonder....

DSC_0361 by [email protected], on Flickr
Its like set from the Disney Pixar film ice age down here. Whats weird is the sounds you here, I could hear the sheets of ice cracking, despite really being in the middle of nowhere, there is sounds, its eery though and very disconcerting...

This would be a good image to mention ice

_DSC0689 by [email protected], on Flickr

This road was not treated and needed to be treated with extreme care. I hit several sections where small streams cross the road had frozen, the car, despite being shod with winter tyres did slide. Thankfully doing 20mph meant the slide was slow, controllable and brief but even with winter tyres great care is needed when driving.

I'll leave you with this final image of Glen Etive to consider. Could this be any more Scottish if it tried...

_DSC0732 by [email protected], on Flickr

From here, it was a treck down back the way I came. Lovely drive and the C estate can take the few bends on the Glencoe road with enthusiasm. One observation from Glen Etive is how well damped the car is. The nose doesn't want to kiss the ground, whereas my old E class was floaty, then grazing the road, this car is just poised, balanced and controlled...

Two final images of Loch Lomond to allow you all to "reflect" on what I have shown you, and for you to reflect what you are depriving yourselves of seeing by not visiting my country

_DSC0742 by [email protected], on Flickr

_DSC0747 by [email protected], on Flickr

And what about the car?

_DSC0750 by [email protected], on Flickr

£25 I worked out to see some of the best of Scotland on a day out. Not only was it cheap, she was comfortable, fast (overtaking in this car isn't much slower than my E320 as 3rd takes you 50 to 80 without a change), agile and well damped. There is room for my cameras, tripods, snacks and I just love driving it.

So, the finest car available in the finest setting available, how do you beat that?

Look forward to seeing the photos, they always seem to be of top quality.

Oh Gawd...Who let you back in... ;)

Welcome - keep those posts coming on the tours. We are having our first holiday in the Scotland later this year so I will be reading your posts in great detail.

Welcome - keep those posts coming on the tours. We are having our first holiday in the Scotland later this year so I will be reading your posts in great detail.

I've got two more to come. Was touring in Edinburgh and the Borders, well, my mate was driving but it kind of counts.

PM me before you go, I will make you a route on google maps that covers the finest driving routes Scotland has to offer. Trust me, I don't mess these things up.

Steve pics 3,5,7,8 [ if I counted correctly ] coming up as unavailable on the forum but do come up when you click on the link? Some excellent camera work there.

Apparently they need a blogger to write about food and touring, guess all they could do was ressurrect me...LOL

Desperate measures... :D

It's nice to see the camera is still rolling.

Welcome back Steve!

I'm also in a very icy, snowy place at the moment! :D

A drive in Vladimir region yesterday and a view of the main street in Vladimir this evening :)

Hope you had a great New Year!

ps- It's Christmas (again) here tonight! Yippee! :D

Attachments

• DSC_0529.jpg
    DSC_0529.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC_0546.jpg
    DSC_0546.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 37
Steve pics 3,5,7,8 [ if I counted correctly ] coming up as unavailable on the forum but do come up when you click on the link? Some excellent camera work there.

Here

2012_11_Glencoe - a set on Flickr

I've redited the pics since. It might break the link with Flickr.

I've got B&W versions there, they look great and the set is nice to look at as its a stunning location to just go and spend time in.

Desperate measures... :D

It's nice to see the camera is still rolling.

Camera is rolling better than ever. Got some Lee soft grad filters to play with. With a cheap car to fuel, expect more threads like this, a lot more....

One sunny day, and I am off up there:bannana::bannana::bannana:

You should try it, Scotland, its alright:D:D:D

Good to see you back. Nice photos as well.

I suppose that deer is now tonight's dinner? Welcome back Steve - some lovely photos there!

I suppose that deer is now tonight's dinner? Welcome back Steve - some lovely photos there!

The Deer wanted to make a dinner of the snacks in the door pocket.

I travel prepared, pork pies, scratchings, chocolates, crisps are all onboard my car:cool:

Glad you are back :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom