Well I think I've finally killed her :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bob6600

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
AUDI S8 V10, S210 E320 CDI (R.I.P.)
So after finding a small leak I decided to investigate and found it to be a core/freeze plug. Ordered from MB and proceeded to remove the front cat, exhaust manifold and turbo. A few manifold studs came out as the nuts seized.

Plug was tapped from one side but would not flip so drilled a small hole and got it out.

Studs that came out were cleaned and 'double nut'd' back into the engine block. The new plug arrives so I put it all back together bar the air intake system so I can check for leaks.

Car takes an unusual large amount of coolant and when I start the car boom, oil shoots through the top breather, up the dipstick and makes a right mess. Dipstick full of coolant.

Before I strip and scrap it, where have I caused the damage? Is there anything behind the exhaust manifold studs or have I hit a jacket with the drill? I am interested from a mechanical point of view as to what has happened.

P.S. W210 parts for sale soon :thumb:

She lives on :bannana:

Coming up to 206k, will keep her until the next MOT at least

Thought the OP would have got a response - seems Bob was in a right pickle!

Good to hear that she's still going, but what had actually happened in August?

Bob.... Just being inquisitive, ( nosey! ) but what happened after the 12th August when oil was spraying everywhere ??
It is good to know you are keeping her on the road. 206k is just about run in ! I hope you can keep the rust at bay.

Steve

Codger beat me to it by 3 minutes !!!

Well there were no ideas as to what was the cause. I re-checked everything and it was all put back together correctly. I flushed and drained the oil again, removed the coolant and refilled them both. Engine then started correctly however due to bad health it sat on my drive since.

I enquired about a head gasket replacement or maybe engine change (thanks Jay@Mercland) as a last resort but the costs would probably outweigh the car's value.

Yesterday I topped up the coolant and checked the oil. Dipstick is clean (no water) and coolant level is steady. Drove it until up to temp and it is fine. A real head scratcher!

sounds strange, at least shes up and running and your feeling better too!

Here's my theory, when filling the radiator was the oil filler cap off as well? Aha, Heres what happened. You were distracted by something, perhaps a leggy blonde strolling by in a miniskirt, we've all done it, and unwittingly tipped the coolant into the oil filler orifice, how else would you have used so much more coolant? And with no puddle at your feet, it must have gone somewhere, ie through cap less oil filler hole, after all, cars don't magically mend themselves, or do they? Glad you're feeling better, Happy Christmas. :eek:

Indeed strange, I double checked everything including removing new freeze plug and installing a new one (this is the reason I always order two!)

My mistake was when I poured jug after jug of coolant I should have realised it was too much but with no leaks I carried on. If I had checked the dipstick before firing up I would have seen it, but again I had no reason to. Even if it was a head gasket then would the water go into the oil so easily? I would have thought slowly, this was like it had been poured into the oil (no I didn't!)

The levels were fairly constant yesterday but as a precaution I put some K-Seal in, It has good reviews and mixed reactions. I am hoping if there was anything left that it will plug it, although like I said it ran prior to this with no mixing.

Thanks all for the kind words re health, it's been a slow and steady road, what better way to speed it up than by tinkering with a car :)

Sorry to hear you've been poorly Bob. Hope things improve soon for you mucca.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom