Well I've gone and done it now !!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Netrix

Car
Mercedes ML420 2008
Just bought myself a W140 S320 :) I wanted one ever since I first clapped eyes on them and I think they are now very affordable to buy, not too sure about being affordable to run though :crazy:

It's a 98 on an R, 90K, one owner from new and FMBSH - I love it !!

I've been lurking around this forum for a while and you seem a very friendly and helpful bunch. I'll post some pics of "her" when I find the camera.

I have two initial questions for you, hopefully not too taxing !

1) Tyre pressures; I have 255/45 ZR18s that were fitted from new and I can't find any info on what the pressures should be for normal driving, and for 3 passengers and a boot load of luggage, all I can find is info for 16" rims/tyres - any ideas ?

2) I have two thingy-me-bobs on the keyfob (sorry if I'm being too technical ;) ) they look like they fit into a socket in the driver's footwell. I'm assuming that they are something to do with the alarm system, one is red and the other black - can anyone shed some light on these ?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give, I look forward to learning a lot about MB from you guys/gals

Geoff

Welcome and congrat's on your new purchase!! Hope you have many years of happy ownership. :bannana:

Sorry I can;t help with the questions - I'm sure someone will though fairly soon.;)

Don't know about yer thingy bobs, it's not a standard item, perhaps you have an aftermarket immobilser fitted? Do you have to pop these things into the sockets before the engine will start?

The tyre pressures should be on a sticker on the inside of the fuel flap, it lists pressures for 2 up, 5 up and fully laden.

There's not too many of us W140 owners on here so it's nice to see another "mobile bank vault" fan.

Welcome to the Forum...

What colour did you get?

Netrix said:
1) Tyre pressures; I have 255/45 ZR18s that were fitted from new and I can't find any info on what the pressures should be for normal driving, and for 3 passengers and a boot load of luggage, all I can find is info for 16" rims/tyres - any ideas ?

2) I have two thingy-me-bobs on the keyfob (sorry if I'm being too technical ;) ) they look like they fit into a socket in the driver's footwell. I'm assuming that they are something to do with the alarm system, one is red and the other black - can anyone shed some light on these ?

1) Around 34-36PSI
2)They are programme keys for the alarm/keyfob. Keep them safe at home as you'll need them if you lose your key to reprogramme the new one.

KLP 92 said:
1) Around 34-36PSI
2)They are programme keys for the alarm/keyfob. Keep them safe at home as you'll need them if you lose your key to reprogramme the new one.

Cheers for the info, I don't do many miles but I have a trip to Blackpool coming up and I want to make sure the pressures are ok, the alarm thingys will be safely stored.

Flash said:
What colour did you get?
Its Azurite blue with mushroom interior :)

Further to Nav's info, I'd keep the black one with you...

Chances are your car is fitted with the MBSS security system (made by Scorpion), and it's, how can you say...temperamental.

The black one will help you make the damn thing shut up when it has one of it's moments.

The red one definitely needs to be kept safe at home, as Nav said above, you'll need it for any reprogamming that might be necessary.

sportyreptile said:
Don't know about yer thingy bobs, it's not a standard item, perhaps you have an aftermarket immobilser fitted? Do you have to pop these things into the sockets before the engine will start?

The tyre pressures should be on a sticker on the inside of the fuel flap, it lists pressures for 2 up, 5 up and fully laden.

There's not too many of us W140 owners on here so it's nice to see another "mobile bank vault" fan.

Thanks for the info, is there a reason for the lack of W140 owners ?

KLP 92 said:

That's what they're for, I've only got the one flip out key with mine. I'm in schtook if I loose it.

Just seen this on the benzworld forum, so I ripped off. Apparantly The Russian president rides around in a W140, cos they're soooo cool:-

hope that works.

<edit> mm no it doesn't. The thread is here http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1267875-vladmir-putins-w140.html

Last edited:
Azurite Blue - COOL.

Netrix said:

Good question, I don't know - mine's been a paragon of reliability, although I have spent a fair bit on it, but then I'm a fussy sod and want it perfect. Which it'll never be of course as it's my every day car prone to everyday incidents.

I think the car's complexity scares people off and the prospect of big bills should something serious go bang. However, as your no doubt finding out they are built like tanks, service it regularly and follow the recommended schedules and it will run for years.

I've had my 12 months now and I'm still wearing a stupid smug grin everytime I go down the road, the extra fuel cost is well worth it.:D

A very nice car and hopefully you will have many miles of very happy motoring.

Regards,
John

Netrix said:

I've never owned one but I used to travel a lot to Hong Kong and Taiwan and the major hotels there used them as courtesy cars. Travelling in the back of one of them (particularly the LWB version) after 12-14 hours flying makes you really feel you've arrived. :D

In Hong Kong, I saw more S600s than anywhere else in the world. Ridiculous really given the speed limits and traffic congestion. I'm convinced it was the V12 badge on the C pillar that made them so attractive (look what I can afford!!).

I have the same model with 78K on the clock. It has just towed a caravan to Spain and back. It went like a bird but the climate control packed in for the second time in 12 months. The door closing went on the blink as well but I think I can fix that following advice from one of the Members on the Forum.
I don't have the key fob thingies and one of my keys no longer works after fitting new batteries. The method in the handbook to reactivate it did not work either. Any ideas please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom