Well-meaning Benz driver accidentally finds the most evil forum ever...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

englishdas

Car
57 E200 Kompressor
So yesterday, I was on another forum, I joined it very recently and to tell you why would give the game away, but one of topics referred to something I happen to be an expert in (don't worry, it wasn't anything related to the 3-pointed star, as my usually ill E Class attests to.)

The thread starter dissed my industry to a man, and then went on to say they were about to undertake their own project.

At this point I respectfully suggested that not all professionals in my line of work were unscrupulous, and that some of the steps the starter was going to take sounded risky, and to feel free to contact me if things started going wrong. The only thing I said that may be construed as a bit... flippant is too strong a word... was that B&Q sell bricks, bathrooms, paint and concrete, but I wouldn't see that as an opportunity to build my own house, and perhaps this is worth considering when thinking of starting the job... But trust me, I was very polite and never said at any point the thread starter was stupid, incompetent or anything negative.

Well.

I have never come across such a torrent of abuse from the starter, multiplied by 100% of the additional contributors, to the point that the only way I could describe it is as if someone was getting beat up outside a nightclub, and instead of calling the cops, everyone on the street joined in beating up the victim. Finally after dragging my company through the mud, (which I avoided even mentioning I worked for, so thanks google for allowing such freedom of information) and writing such petulant and personal evilness, the moderator stopped additions to the thread.

Guess what type of forum it was..., I'll post the reply if no-ones guessed in a few guesses.

Did you catch Delia on a bad day ?

A forum for estate agents, politicians and celebrities? :)

plenty of urchins in the sea; don't waste your energy on them mate...

do tell though :)

Cake design? :D

We pride ourselves here on being a fairly civilised bunch (well, most of the time), so take some comfort from the knowledge that you're most unlikely to see a repeat of that experience on these shores.

The polynesian basket weaving association?

That must be enough guesses...what's the answer, and the link?

Its the internet. Everyone is an expert in everything and knows better than everyone else. This is normal.

The usual response is to reply with a picture with a theme like this.

...I have never come across such a torrent of abuse from the starter, multiplied by 100% of the additional contributors, to the point that the only way I could describe it is as if someone was getting beat up outside a nightclub, and instead of calling the cops, everyone on the street joined in beating up the victim...

Sadly, this is the reality in far too many Internet Forums. I never quite understood this mentality, but I got used to it - I would usually read a few threads to gauge the level of conversation in a forum before signing-up.

One particular example comes to mind - some years ago I joined a forum called cavweb, for Vauxhall owners, it was unbelievable - step into the wrong thread and you get shot between the eyes... the Omega owners section was the civilised part, I guess the typical population there was more mature and less boy-racer. Eventually we left cavweb and started our own forum - which runs to this day - omegaowners. This came about when we started getting abuse from the moderators themselves - unbelievable.

So my advice is don't spend too much time pondering about this, just learn to avoid the nasty forums and stick to the polite ones.

Its the internet. Everyone is an expert in everything and knows better than everyone else. This is normal.

The usual response is to reply with a picture with a theme like this.

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about Colin. If you want to know anything about the Internet, ask me, the expert, and I will be happy to help. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom