Well priced or a bit OTT? C55

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DavidL

MB Enthusiast
Car
s203 C55, x218 CLS63
Spotted this. Looks ok, MOT history is mainly fine, Now as I found they are quite thin on the ground but does this seem a bit optimistic price wise do we think? Would have liked a black one rather than silver but ours has been ok since we bought it last year (touch wood).
Saved Adverts

These are indeed very hard to value because they’re so thin on the ground. Mine’s at less than half that mileage and in minty McMint condition, but I think C55s are quite close to early C63s at the top end of the market, which could be a problem for potential buyers.

C43's have been steadily rising since I sold my Minty McMint beauty (I like that :cool:) several years back, so I can only see these 55's doing the same in years to come - great cars, for same money I would personally have the best 55 available over an early / tatty 63 :thumb:

Looks a bit pricey to me. I was looking a couple of months ago at C55 saloons of a similar age for under £10k with less than 80k miles.

If the bodywork is as good as it looks in the pics i'd be prepared to pay 10.5k or so - seems decent spec?

There are very few estates relative to saloons. 50 or so I believe so they will be more than the equivalent saloon.

Pricy but rare: just needs to find the right buyer.

In the end it'll also be competing with similar rare powerful small Estates. Compared to an Audi it looks cheap as chips.

The 203 C55 is the last of the “pretty” Mercedes AMG’s before they went all butch, I like both them and the C32, but as alluded to the C63 is starting to drop under the £15k Mark now and are hurtling towards the C55.

It's got all the (very few) extras available that could be ordered on a C55. Not sure what the seller is going on about when saying 'face lift' , it isn't a 'flappy paddle' model, it's too old only the very last ones made had full size paddles. tax is £315, late models are £555. It is a non Jap import , which is a good thing. If it has a decent service history buy it.
In my opinion Iridium silver is the only way to go with a C55 (especially an estate) but I am biased because mine is silver and I can hear Bruce Millar shouting at his computer saying blue ones are best !! :D
If the bodywork is as good as it looks in the pics i'd be prepared to pay 10.5k or so - seems decent spec?

It's the top spec, no more extras were available at the time of build. Command and parking sensors were about all that were available to add when purchasing a C55 back then. A few things like ski racks and other normal stuff excepted of course.

Forgive my ignorance but isn't an E55K wagon a better car/buy?

Certainly is, as is the E Class compared to the C Class.

Some like 'em small, some prefer "traditionally built." (To misquote Alexander McCall Smith)

Some say a comparable E55 wagon would still be a bit more expensive than the C55

To be honest since the beginning of time most niche cars like these dip in price to rock bottom before steadying their feet as the gap between good/bad examples widen, the number of good examples dwindles and providing there’s demand for such models they usually creep up in value thereafter.

Whether or not that makes sense financially when you compare what else you can buy for similar money is another matter. But then no-one really buys an old large engined petrol car for financial reasons.

It’s fair to say though that a C55 wagon is far less common than a C63, and it’s inevitable that they’ll overlap in price at some point, whilst the C55 wagon may even climb slowly as the C63 continues until it bottoms out, then the cycle will continue.

Look how few nice 202 AMGs (C36/43) you see around these days compared to only a few years ago, and when did you last see a 16v 190E on the road :cool:

And have a look at the prices of those for comparison! ;)

Forgive my ignorance but isn't an E55K wagon a better car/buy?
No. and your ignorance is not forgiven :p....it depends on what you want, when I started looking for an AMG the only sensible option for me was the C55. Firstly because I didn't need a big car like the E55 and all the additional 'tech' bolted to it , tech that is now old but can be quite pricey and complex to fix if you are having to pay someone to do it for you, the C55 has no air suspension or SBC braking system and the same engine as the E55 sans supercharger add to that a lighter kerb weight that requires less in the way of tyres and brakes to control it and you have a 'cheap' get in to the world of V8 AMG's.
The E55 estate is a stunning car but if you don't need the space inside (and the size outside) and you want something rare buy S203 C55 AMG.

I personally do not like them in black , and the wood ? I absolutely hate it, when shopping around for mine if I saw one with the wood interior I just moved on. This is of course a personal thing but it has no place in a C55, only the aluminium interior looks right to me. I know it can be swapped out but that's just more cost and takes the car further away from original spec for anyone thinking of 'collecting' one in the distant future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom