Well priced or a bit OTT? C55

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Could you wrap over it with carbon or something yourself...Be a good weekend in the garage??

because buying a UK model is better than buying a jap import. less hassle.
Bit of a sweeping statement, but each to their own. I’ve got a rust-free low miler which has lived in a salt-free climate, has FSH and is immaculate, for less than the one linked to by the OP.

Well bully for me, yes. But for anyone buying an import the duties will have been paid and registration normally done, so there’s no more hassle than a UK car. Insurance for mine was identical to a UK market car. When it goes up for sale at some point, I don’t see how the buyer would be faced with any more ‘hassle’. If you’re buying a ‘fresh off the boat’ import which hasn’t been coded to UK spec, hasn’t had an MOT yet and still has jap infotainment etc then perhaps you’ve got a few bits to sort, but I’d rather put money and effort into a low mileage immaculate car with no tin worm than a well used UK car which may well need bodywork at this age.

I have to say that the e55 is the "better" car, as in nicer to be in, more comfortable, arguably better value for money at current prices and on the whole less rust prone.
But the c55 is smaller, neater, more pointy to drive, very practical and has far fewer trick parts to go wrong. Its one of the reasons we bought ours, no air suspension, sbc etc.
They both have their plus points but our e55 is very much a family favourite, arguably the best car I've ever had. The c55 is far newer in and I drive it fairly irregularly so its a nice change.
But if it had to be one it would be the e class.
That NZ car looks good value but I have no idea if it would be by the time it arrived here.

Bit of a sweeping statement, but each to their own. I’ve got a rust-free low miler which has lived in a salt-free climate, has FSH and is immaculate, for less than the one linked to by the OP.

Well bully for me, yes. But for anyone buying an import the duties will have been paid and registration normally done, so there’s no more hassle than a UK car. Insurance for mine was identical to a UK market car. When it goes up for sale at some point, I don’t see how the buyer would be faced with any more ‘hassle’. If you’re buying a ‘fresh off the boat’ import which hasn’t been coded to UK spec, hasn’t had an MOT yet and still has jap infotainment etc then perhaps you’ve got a few bits to sort, but I’d rather put money and effort into a low mileage immaculate car with no tin worm than a well used UK car which may well need bodywork at this age.
Not a sweeping statement at all. it's a well known fact that buying a Japanese import gives the new owner work to do (hassle) over buying a UK market car...any car. Some enjoy the process others may not. If importing something special and unique to the UK I agree it's the only way to go, but IMHO when looking for a car that is already available in the UK going through the ICE change and number plate mounting bit's and bob's that are required on a Japanese import is not (for me) worth the hassle on a car I just want to use as an every day drive. If is to be part of a 3 or 4 car collection that is only going to be used occasionally as something special then fair enough , import. In fact a young fellow at work has told me his dad is looking at a C55 AMG saloon from Japan as we speak and has asked for my help with general info of what to look for in a C55. I can't help him on the Jap side of things, would you be able to help him if he goes ahead ? he lives in Swindon. PM me if you can help. :thumb:

No. and your ignorance is not forgiven :p....it depends on what you want, when I started looking for an AMG the only sensible option for me was the C55. Firstly because I didn't need a big car like the E55 and all the additional 'tech' bolted to it , tech that is now old but can be quite pricey and complex to fix if you are having to pay someone to do it for you, the C55 has no air suspension or SBC braking system and the same engine as the E55 sans supercharger add to that a lighter kerb weight that requires less in the way of tyres and brakes to control it and you have a 'cheap' get in to the world of V8 AMG's.
The E55 estate is a stunning car but if you don't need the space inside (and the size outside) and you want something rare buy S203 C55 AMG.
Can't argue with that and makes total sense. I feel enlightened [emoji106]

Not a sweeping statement at all. it's a well known fact that buying a Japanese import gives the new owner work to do (hassle) over buying a UK market car...any car

Sweeping in the sense it’s only work to do or ‘hassle’ if you’re the first UK owner doing the importing, or you’re buying from a dealer who hasn’t done any of it and just slapped it on the forecourt (the latter is entirely possible, but decent outfits will have the essential stuff done).

I’m happy to give your friend some pointers if needed, I’ll PM you.

In fact a young fellow at work has told me his dad is looking at a C55 AMG saloon from Japan as we speak and has asked for my help with general info of what to look for in a C55. I can't help him on the Jap side of things, would you be able to help him if he goes ahead ? he lives in Swindon. PM me if you can help. :thumb:

Pete, I'm sitting in the middle of Swindon as we speak. I can't help with the Japanese side but Tim isn't far away, but if they want to see a c55 (an estate granted) let me know.

Personally, I’d prefer an E55 wagon to a C55 (as did most people judging by the sales figures), but not everyone did/does. I can see the appeal if you needed a slightly smaller estate, but for most people the larger/faster/more luxurious etc E55 was the better choice - and as a used purchase nowadays they offer more bang for your buck?

I’d argue the N/A and coil sprung C55 would be cheaper and simpler to maintain but judging by some running reports I’m not sure there’s a whole lot in it! :) See a recent thread on here from a member who’s done over £5k in servicing and repairs in less than a year on a relatively young/low mileage C55.

My old NA CLK55 (same engine) was very reliable and great to own for the 5 1/2 years I had it though :cool:

Pete, I'm sitting in the middle of Swindon as we speak. I can't help with the Japanese side but Tim isn't far away, but if they want to see a c55 (an estate granted) let me know.
Indeed I’m near Corsham so it looks like there’s a cluster of Wiltshire based C55s...

The guy works for Honda in Swindon.....so my guess is he might put the purchase of a C55 on hold.

The guy works for Honda in Swindon.....so my guess is he might put the purchase of a C55 on hold.
It's the talk of the town currently but yes I wouild imagine it may go on hold..

I had a C55 which had every option box ticked.

Extras were;

Comand
Parktronic
Phone pre-wire
Metallic paint
Rear air bags
Rear sun blind
Fire extinguisher
Climate control
Sunroof
Ipod interface
Linguatronic
18" AMG uprated wheels
Folding mirrors.
Piano wood trim
Heated seats

HK, memory, Cd changer and leather were standard on the C55!

because buying a UK model is better than buying a jap import. less hassle.

Never buy a Japanese imported C55. To convert the Comand so it works in Europe is a big (expensive) rewire job.

I had a C55 which had every option box ticked.

Extras were;

Comand
Parktronic
Phone pre-wire
Metallic paint
Rear air bags
Rear sun blind
Fire extinguisher
Climate control
Sunroof
Ipod interface
Linguatronic
18" AMG uprated wheels
Folding mirrors.
Piano wood trim
Heated seats

HK, memory, Cd changer and leather were standard on the C55!
I take your word for it, but when i searched the original brochure many of theses boxes were already 'ticked' or no cost options. Every time I look at my car I wonder why after paying £50K the first owner of my car didn't tick the Parktronic box at around £500. ? I can maybe understand sticking with the Audio 20 and not choosing Comand at around £1500.00 but omitting something that could help to prevent damaging the car at such a low cost ???? who knows :dk:

I was under the impression only comand and parktronic were actually options on the c55, the estate anyway. Mine has comand but not parktronic although it does have rear sensors now.
People's choices on options are odd. I had a 996t a while back and I wanted heated seats and rear parking sensors. Those 2 options added a whole 1% of the total of the car when new and yet the first owner didn't spec either!
Anyway it's still for sale so noone thought it a bargain.

I looked at C55's before getting the E55k, like a lot have mentioned, its just that bit more for the money, if thats what you want ;-)... You could have mine for a bag of sand more than the C55 OP linked :)

Sweeping in the sense it’s only work to do or ‘hassle’ if you’re the first UK owner doing the importing, or you’re buying from a dealer who hasn’t done any of it and just slapped it on the forecourt (the latter is entirely possible, but decent outfits will have the essential stuff done).

I’m happy to give your friend some pointers if needed, I’ll PM you.

Are you selling up so soon Tim? Looks very nice.

Regrettably with redundancy looming, yes. Currently we have four cars and I can’t justify that in the current circumstances.
Are you selling up so soon Tim? Looks very nice.

After all that work to find it and get it here, that's a great shame. Hopefully it won't hang around as I doubt there are any much better out there and certainly none for sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom