Well that was a surprise wasn't it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's a spectacularly ill-thought out scheme administered by the acknowledged masters of institutional incompetence, the DVLA. So no, I'm not in the least surprised.

It makes you wonder if the difference was generated by the public reporting out of date tax discs?

I am actually surprised.

Surprised it wasn't more.

Who have thunk?!:confused::dk::doh:

Probably a mixture of confusion (motorists not aware that their VED expired) and fraud (motorists feeling 'safe' driving with no VED paid).

And yet... paperless is the way forward. So I suppose we should embrace the future :D

And on a personal note... I was very happy to get rid of the tax disk :thumb: , hopefully I will soon be able to remove the Residents Parking Permit as well.

...what I don't understand is why so many drivers still have the old (long expired) Tax Disk on their windscreen.... can they really not be bother to remove it? :(

markjay said:
...what I don't understand is why so many drivers still have the old (long expired) Tax Disk on their windscreen.... can they really not be bother to remove it? :(

Why remove it?

I think Royal Mail should start running it, sounds just about their level of competence.

And to think this figure includes the 'double taxing' of some vehicles where it has been sold with less than a month remaining and then re-taxed by the new owner

Shocker.

We fell foul of this when we transferred the Focus V5 from the missus to me. Because the car wasn't new to us and I'd been driving it for the last two years anyway I completely forgot that I had to redo tax in my own name - in the old system the disc would just be valid whoever the car was registered to.

Got a "FINAL REMINDER" letter from DVLA which made me laugh as I hadn't actually received any previous reminders to make this one a final.

I think Royal Mail should start running it, sounds just about their level of competence.

Only if we can have 2nd class and 1st class car tax - people who can afford 1st class tax get to use the motorways, others have to use the yokel paths :D

Well a number of us said at the time it was a bad move,of course people who feel everything can be solved by the laptop disagreed,when you had to have that disk in the window you were telling whoever wanted to see be it the traffic warden of the poor sod you have just rear ended that you had insurance,I am pleased they have lost this money,they were plain stupid.

Well a number of us said at the time it was a bad move,of course people who feel everything can be solved by the laptop disagreed,when you had to have that disk in the window you were telling whoever wanted to see be it the traffic warden of the poor sod you have just rear ended that you had insurance,I am pleased they have lost this money,they were plain stupid.

I am afraid, old fruit, that 'they' haven't lost this money. We have. The country spends more than it earns. Who do you think will make up the shortfall? That's right. We will.

An element of the difference must be due to SORNing being easier now, and being essential if the vehicle is uninsured?

SORNing produces a road tax refund automatically whereas before people may not have bothered to send in their tax disc.

...SORNing produces a road tax refund automatically whereas before people may not have bothered to send in their tax disc.

Makes sense...

Since I had a taxed vehicle clamped and towed away, I will go to any length to make it more difficult for these bunch of morons to get a penny more than they have to.

markjay said:
Something I too have pondered. But when you look inside their cars and see all the mess you can only conclude that it's far too much effort. However quite a few do give their muscles a workout by taking the expired disc out, but leave the tatty holder in place just in case it may come in handy some day.

Because there are more pressing productive things to do!

Because it it hides a nasty stone chip!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom