Well "they" have cocked up SE London good and proper.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
[*]Some employees don't like it, don't have the space, have too many children or a wife at home and will want to return asap.

A recent phone call to Thames Water

"Will you shut the fck up you dozy bint I'm on a work call"
"Fck off you selfish bstd"
"Sorry about that sir"

:)

The new setup is going to be:
1. Congestion zone, stays as-is, small central London zone, charge £15 applies 7am-10pm every day. Resident discount 90% if your address is within the zone (but this closes to new applicants from 1st August this year).
2. ULEZ toxicity charge zone, charge £12.50 applies 24/7. Currently the zone is same as the C-charge zone (roughly the same as travelcard zone 1), but it expands to North and South circular next year so it will be about 20 times the size and cover a couple of million residents instead of a couple of hundred thousand. Broadly, there are no exemptions.
OK, so only ULEZ is expanding, but not CC? ULEZ mostly affects older cars, so I guess that over time the problem will sort of fix itself, as people gradually change their older cars.

You only pay for driving your car in London.

While it's parked up, there's no congestion charge, only a resident's permit.

Pretty sure the mobile camera vans will sort that not just the fixed cameras as you enter the zone !

OK, so only ULEZ is expanding, but not CC? ULEZ mostly affects older cars, so I guess that over time the problem will sort of fix itself, as people gradually change their older cars.
Yep, that's it, no C-charge in the new zone, just ULEZ charge. Surely this will indeed cancel itself out as people switch to new cars. In my neighbourhood it's already very evident, with many swapping their older Audi TDIs for newer Audi TFSIs. Audi even sells the bigger models like A6 and Q5 with petrol engines again! Also there's a few cars with plugs in the mix, a Tesla S, Tesla III, iPace, Leaf, C350e and Prius PHEV all within 2 mins of my front door. Which is funny since all houses here have no driveway...

Pretty sure the mobile camera vans will sort that not just the fixed cameras as you enter the zone !
That's a good point: the ULEZ is supposed to apply only if you are on the move. I am not sure how enforcement is going to work.

I just checked the TfL pages and they use the phrase "If you are driving any petrol or diesel vehicle..." (my italic). It'll be interesting to see how they enforce it and whether there's a swathe of penalty charges for parked cars. I can envisage some owners of older cars keeping them and paying the charge for occasional use (e.g. W123 owners who drive them only occasionally), but that won't work if penalty charges start pouring in whilst they are parked!

WFH will increase, however, not in the numbers that you might expect.

• Some employers simply don't trust their staff and will return to office space as soon as they can.
  • Some employees don't like it, don't have the space, have too many children or a wife at home and will want to return asap.
  • Some work at home anyway so no change there.
  • Some will find a benefit for both employee and employer and adopt WFH as a model.
It's comical that a Scottish poster who admits that he never goes to London should have so much to say on the subject.
WFH results in lower productivity too hence why I can't see it becoming the norm for most companies. I worked from home for many years due to company office closures but it was not a good experience and I really missed the comoraderie that working with others in an office gave. Anyone adopting a WFH model MUST have a separate space in their home away from the rest of the household otherwise there are far too many distractions.

Mr Khan is the ultimate NIMBY. Certain estimates have put the total affected vehicles at over 1/2 million. Ok some will be scrapped over time but I would say a fair proportion are perfectly serviceable euro 5 diesels (like my father's 5 year old range rover) that will just live on in someone else's back yard.

Mr Khan is the ultimate NIMBY. Certain estimates have put the total affected vehicles at over 1/2 million. Ok some will be scrapped over time but I would say a fair proportion are perfectly serviceable euro 5 diesels (like my father's 5 year old range rover) that will just live on in someone else's back yard.

I think you'll find that London's old polluting Diesels will get a new lease of life 'up north', at least until the idea of ULEZ will slowly engulf other major cities.

The war on cars, Wokingham town centre style.

These barriers were put in place on 29.6.20 and are scheduled to remain (barring extensions) until 30.9.20. Why, I hear you ask, with many businesses barely hanging on & towns having only a fraction of their previous footfall, would any council eliminate around 90% of on street parking?

AFAI can see it's to widen the virtually empty pavements to allow social distancing - Road narrowing via the use of barriers to create additional roadspace in light of COVID-19

pics hosting

Last edited:
The war on cars, Wokingham town centre style.

These barrierswere put in place on 29.6.20 and are scheduled to remain (barring extensions) until 30.9.20. Why, I hear you ask, with many businesses barely hanging on & towns having only a fraction of their previous footfall, would any council eliminate around 90% of on street parking?

AFAI can see it's to widen the virtually empty pavements to allow social distancing - Road narrowing via the use of barriers to create additional roadspace in light of COVID-19

pics hosting
These sorts of road modifications are happening up North too. Tynemouth to Whitley Bay sea front is now one way with half the road now a cycle path. God knows what Newcastle city centre is like now knowing the Marxists in charge of that council.

Fascinating how this health crisis is being used by left wing councils to carry out the wishes of extinction rebellion & greta thunberg.

Who is paying for all these plastic barriers? NewcastIe City council for example no longer maintain public parks because they claim they do not have enough money. Wonder when the barriers were ordered? Must have been some stockpile to be able to complete that order in time.

No wonder some call it a Plandemic.

Last edited:
I think you'll find that London's old polluting Diesels will get a new lease of life 'up north', at least until the idea of ULEZ will slowly engulf other major cities.
Us northern peasants will, be ever so grateful.

London, Slough, Brighton, Portsmouth, Cambridge, Reading, Oxford, Bristol, Bath, Birmingham, Derby, Manchester, Sheffield, Leeds, York, Newcastle, Cardiff, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee, Aberdeen.

It was a while ago I complied this list of locations that are, or are considering, vehicle restriction styles.
Various restrictions / charges / penalties / implementation dates, but the trend is pretty obvious.

So us Northerners buy the Southern motors that are considered evil by those councils and give them a renewed purpose, but for how long?

The thing that really pees me off about causing good cars to become economically unviable is the destruction to this little planet by the production of their replacement. There is a pollution effect of the recycling also, it takes a bit of heat and energy to do that.

If our Gov't's were so hell bent on saving the planet they would be preventing the manufacturers designing their (our) vehicles, and other products, to be economically viable for an ever reducing life period.
"Your super duper LED oncoming car recognising headlight is faulty. New unit + coding + labour means you might as well scrap your very old 8 year old car sir".

We are 1st being screwed by the manufacturers for profits, and that's encouraged by the Gov't's for tax revenues.
Possibly worse is some git would scratch your pretty car because he has taken in the cr*p about it's carbon footprint that his 65" telly back home, newest mobile and expensive trainers doesn't have. But the trainers are Air so no footprint I suppose.

Last edited:
WFH will increase, however, not in the numbers that you might expect.

• Some employers simply don't trust their staff and will return to office space as soon as they can.
  • Some employees don't like it, don't have the space, have too many children or a wife at home and will want to return asap.
  • Some work at home anyway so no change there.
  • Some will find a benefit for both employee and employer and adopt WFH as a model.
It's comical that a Scottish poster who admits that he never goes to London should have so much to say on the subject.
People also forget the secondary businesses that *need* commuters like eateries, the train, buses, etc - if all those go, where are the jobs to pick up the slack?

Near where I live, there's a small street with several restaurants and coffee shops.

The Council (Westminster) turned the street into one-way, blocked-off one lane and erected barriers that extended the pavement.

The restaurants and coffee shops were then issued permits to have the tables and chairs on the pavement, with the blocked-off car lane used as passageway for pedestrians.

Which I thought was brilliant - but I wonder for how long? It's obviously something that will only work during the summer months and even so only on dry days.

But still... if it helps revive local businesses, it must be a good thing.

London, Slough, Brighton, Portsmouth, Cambridge, Reading, Oxford, Bristol, Bath, Birmingham, Derby, Manchester, Sheffield, Leeds, York, Newcastle, Cardiff, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee, Aberdeen.

It was a while ago I complied this list of locations that are, or are considering, vehicle restriction styles.
Various restrictions / charges / penalties / implementation dates, but the trend is pretty obvious.

So us Northerners buy the Southern motors that are considered evil by those councils and give them a renewed purpose, but for how long?

The thing that really pees me off about causing good cars to become economically unviable is the destruction to this little planet by the production of their replacement. There is a pollution effect of the recycling also, it takes a bit of heat and energy to do that.

If our Gov't's were so hell bent on saving the planet they would be preventing the manufacturers designing their (our) vehicles, and other products, to be economically viable for an ever reducing life period.
"Your super duper LED oncoming car recognising headlight is faulty. New unit + coding + labour means you might as well scrap your very old 8 year old car sir".

We are 1st being screwed by the manufacturers for profits, and that's encouraged by the Gov't's for tax revenues.
Possibly worse is some git would scratch your pretty car because he has taken in the cr*p about it's carbon footprint that his 65" telly back home, newest mobile and expensive trainers doesn't have. But the trainers are Air so no footprint I suppose.
Funny how that article you linked to highlights 21 UK cities with plans for ULEZ type restrictions.

Funny because it is all part of the long running UN Agenda 21 widely used by UK councils for what they call sustainable development.

You highlight the reality that what these people call sustainable is in fact the complete opposite. The below link & quote is from 1997.

Local Agenda 21 Initiatives

Mr. Corbyn:
To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions what is the total expenditure in 1996-97 on Local Agenda 21 initiatives; what is his estimate for 1997-98; and if he will make a statement. [503]

Ms Angela Eagle: The Government do not require local authorities, or other interested sectors, to provide returns detailing Local Agenda 21 expenditure. There would be considerable methodological difficulties in trying to identify such expenditure because sustainable development is essentially about carrying out existing functions, including planning and economic development, in ways that are environmentally sustainable.

The Government's support for Local Agenda 21 includes modest funding for the co-ordinating and promotional work of the Local Government Management Board. But the bulk of Government funding for local authorities and others for projects in line with Local Agenda 21 principles is associated with other mechanisms such as regeneration programmes or the Environmental Action Fund.

The Government are determined to work in partnership with all sectors of society in pursuit of sustainable development. Local Agenda 21 initiatives, involving local authorities, business, the voluntary and community sectors, have a vital contribution to make. The UK is generally acknowledged to be one of the leaders in the field, with 70 per cent. of its local authorities committed to Local Agenda 21, and it is to be hoped that next month's UN Special Session will encourage other countries to make similar progress.

20 May 1997 : Column: 48

For some time I have viewed that the majority of the problems in the world are associated with over population.
On QT some time ago a guest suggested the same and received a hostile and excessive reaction as the other attendees didn't give opportunity for his argument. They seemed to assume that a culling was his agenda. That was dumb in the extreme and demonstrated by the reactions.

This morning I read this
I see why Gov't's would be concerned as it would represent a reduction in both their power and revenues, in other words their purpose.
In the past it has been suggested that we need the young, the next generations, to support the old. Again dumb as it isn't sustainable as the planet would soon enough reach a state of saturation, if it hasn't already.

What I say is "good" let people get used to another new normal of lower populations.
Those that are on the planet would have a better standard of existence, more so as the planet is allowed to recycle itself over time w/o so many of us abusing it.
No culling required.

Only thing that would get me into using the tube more often and not out of necessity would be air conditioning and more capacity.

Another thread goes wrong due to the conspiracy theorists, how much coke are you guys doing to get so paranoid?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom