Well "they" have cocked up SE London good and proper.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Another thread goes wrong due to the conspiracy theorists, how much coke are you guys doing to get so paranoid?
How much coke would you have to be doing to not notice the changes all around you? Unless of course you live on craggy island.

Tom.JPG.jpg

Last edited:
"This too shall pass."

For sure this jollity has bumped along flexible working, but once these shenanigans are over we'll be back travelling to work same as ever. We didn't change our habits after the Winters of 2017, 2015, 2000, or 1975, nor even after the arrival of low cost international airlines, or after the insane acceleration in property prices in the crowded South East.

MORE people go to work now than ever before in our history, so it seems unlikely that this change will be permanent.
Certainly my employers are making permanent changes to office spaces , staff who have been issued ICT equipment for home working have been told they can keep it and there has been a survey re what else they might need . It is still under consultation , but for many it will be permanent.

Another thread goes wrong due to the conspiracy theorists, how much coke are you guys doing to get so paranoid?

I may be thick, but I still don't get how a perfectly reasonable UN worldwide sustainability plan was turned into some sort of threat on our liberties, or why, and by whom? How very odd.

Last edited:
I travelled from Aldgate to Southwark today in my own stretch limo. Yep, just me and the driver. Big red thing it was with 344 on the back. Dropped me off at a bus stop.

I've been commuting to London for the past 6 weeks and it has been utter bliss.

Whilst waiting to pull out of side turning on my evening commute 3 buses went by together all with the yellow "bus full" signs in the windscreens, much amusement was evident by the 15 odd people at the next bus stop as they sailed past without stopping !

Certainly my employers are making permanent changes to office spaces , staff who have been issued ICT equipment for home working have been told they can keep it and there has been a survey re what else they might need . It is still under consultation , but for many it will be permanent.

Which is fine - but not always ideal

EUevjhLXkAUlBIr

Which is fine - but not always ideal

EUevjhLXkAUlBIr
Individuals are being given the choice , but desk space in offices is being reduced so either full time home working or part time coming into offices are the only options

Individuals are being given the choice , but desk space in offices is being reduced so either full time home working or part time coming into offices are the only options
Have you seen any evidence of desks being reduced?

It seems rather a quick response given that we are still under restrictions of some sort.

It seems rather a quick response given that we are still under restrictions of some sort.

There are no restrictions, there is only advice "not to travel unless essential". There are zero checks on people commuting. No comments made if you don't wear a mask on public transport either, so if you can't wear a mask for medical reasons it's cool.

There will be fewer people coming into offices, but each person coming in will need a bit more space.

Only 50% staff come in at a time for example.

staff coming in on different shift patterns etc.

Latest polls are that majority of people are desperate to get back into their offices, I've been back 6 weeks now and our sales department never stopped coming in. They've smashed our opposition during the lockdown.

My office is safer than anywhere else on the plant as we don't just have extra cleaning, we use products that destroy viruses and bacteria for up to 60 days.

View attachment 99488
My train into London yesterday at 7.05am.
Trains seem so quiet I am wondering why not to go ahead and use them, seems a shame to pass up the opportunity. I'd love to hop on and go somewhere for a walk and a pub. I have not braved it yet though, given the "essential" messaging.

There are no restrictions, there is only advice "not to travel unless essential". There are zero checks on people commuting. No comments made if you don't wear a mask on public transport either, so if you can't wear a mask for medical reasons it's cool.

There will be fewer people coming into offices, but each person coming in will need a bit more space.

Only 50% staff come in at a time for example.

staff coming in on different shift patterns etc.

Latest polls are that majority of people are desperate to get back into their offices, I've been back 6 weeks now and our sales department never stopped coming in. They've smashed our opposition during the lockdown.

My office is safer than anywhere else on the plant as we don't just have extra cleaning, we use products that destroy viruses and bacteria for up to 60 days.
Errm,

I've said previously that most will return for various reasons.

Yes , in open plan offices every other desk is marked ‘out of use’ and in some cases desks have been physically removed to allow ‘social distancing’ between desks .

in my own department, they have taken away chairs from half the desk and have put in partitions between the desks as an initial measure , but we are all still advised until further notice to work from home and not to come into offices unless essential.

Those of us who are one the road’ a lot , as I am , see little difference since we are still traveling to sites three or four days a week , with one or two days at home doing admin type work ( I try to keep the latter to a minimum) .

London, Slough, Brighton, Portsmouth, Cambridge, Reading, Oxford, Bristol, Bath, Birmingham, Derby, Manchester, Sheffield, Leeds, York, Newcastle, Cardiff, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee, Aberdeen.

It was a while ago I complied this list of locations that are, or are considering, vehicle restriction styles.
Various restrictions / charges / penalties / implementation dates, but the trend is pretty obvious.

So us Northerners buy the Southern motors that are considered evil by those councils and give them a renewed purpose, but for how long?

The thing that really pees me off about causing good cars to become economically unviable is the destruction to this little planet by the production of their replacement. There is a pollution effect of the recycling also, it takes a bit of heat and energy to do that.

If our Gov't's were so hell bent on saving the planet they would be preventing the manufacturers designing their (our) vehicles, and other products, to be economically viable for an ever reducing life period.
"Your super duper LED oncoming car recognising headlight is faulty. New unit + coding + labour means you might as well scrap your very old 8 year old car sir".

We are 1st being screwed by the manufacturers for profits, and that's encouraged by the Gov't's for tax revenues.
Possibly worse is some git would scratch your pretty car because he has taken in the cr*p about it's carbon footprint that his 65" telly back home, newest mobile and expensive trainers doesn't have. But the trainers are Air so no footprint I suppose.
Yup. It's hard to know whether to carry out long term maintenance on my diesel CLK now despite it being in excellent condition. If I were to replace it with a petrol, the goalposts will inevitably move to engulf that as well before long. I expect car ownership to become an impossible and financially unviable hoop jumping exercise. All you could do is short term lease a model which meets the latest arbitary 'code'.

I rarely drive into the proposed ULEZ but if its extended to the M25 that will be a real killer.

Yes , in open plan offices every other desk is marked ‘out of use’ and in some cases desks have been physically removed to allow ‘social distancing’ between desks .

in my own department, they have taken away chairs from half the desk and have put in partitions between the desks as an initial measure , but we are all still advised until further notice to work from home and not to come into offices unless essential.

Those of us who are one the road’ a lot , as I am , see little difference since we are still traveling to sites three or four days a week , with one or two days at home doing admin type work ( I try to keep the latter to a minimum) .
I was talking long term not temporary.

I travelled from Aldgate to Southwark today in my own stretch limo. Yep, just me and the driver. Big red thing it was with 344 on the back. Dropped me off at a bus stop.

I've been commuting to London for the past 6 weeks and it has been utter bliss.
The last time I used the 344 it was from London Bridge Station to Nine Elms Lane. It took over part of the route that the 44 used to run from London Bridge Station to Tooting.
I kind of miss riding the buses these days...

In the area I'm referring to the majority are physical barriers (planters) half way down each road giving just enough access for muggers on mopeds to get through. I'm sure the emergency services can carry a pump truck on their vehicles to move the planters to get through in a emergency.

There are some confusingly random camera controlled closures to help with revenue collection.
Following up on this thread, I was in the aforementioned area yesterday and I see that Lewisham Council have backtracked slightly. Restrictions put in place in the summer have now been relaxed; as far as I could tell, at all of the locations where roads were fully closed (with planters or cameras) to traffic both directions, the closure now only applies in one direction. In the 3 locations I passed, traffic can now pass from the 'London' side to the 'Kent' side of all the restrictions, but not the other way. This might be a workable compromise, somewhat reducing traffic as the council intended, but not hindering passage too much to be a nuisance for residents and delivery firms.

SE19 areas under borough of Croydon still have blocked roads. Saying that as the Council have filed for bankrupsy I doubt if they have the money to remove them even if they were forced to do it !

There was a protest arranged back in November but instread of protesting outside the council offices or the councillors homes, the organisers decided to protest around the streets that were closed !!

Can't exactly see how that was going to make an impact.

Following up on this thread, I was in the aforementioned area yesterday and I see that Lewisham Council have backtracked slightly. Restrictions put in place in the summer have now been relaxed; as far as I could tell, at all of the locations where roads were fully closed (with planters or cameras) to traffic both directions, the closure now only applies in one direction. In the 3 locations I passed, traffic can now pass from the 'London' side to the 'Kent' side of all the restrictions, but not the other way. This might be a workable compromise, somewhat reducing traffic as the council intended, but not hindering passage too much to be a nuisance for residents and delivery firms.

Or the cynic might say they have made it even more confusing to catch the unwary on the cameras :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom