Went Santa Pod. Pistonheads Sunday Service.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter DLM

MB Enthusiast
Car
19 reg CLS 350d, 67 reg AMG GT R Caterham Levante
I really need new rear tyres. :fail In hindsight they've done a few track days and a top speed event so have had lots of big heat cycles and are past their best. I didn't even lower the pressures from the standard 39psi. I think 20psi might have helped, and also staying for the hotter temps as the morning was quite cold.

Wanted 11 second run and 120mph. Got [email protected]. :wallbash:

Had 3 head to head runs against RSK21 in his 770hp M5, I'm glad to say that the Merc had the measure of it in all 3 runs, even if he did eventually trap a couple of mph faster. Both car suck off the line, RSK having much grief in the M5, Video below.

http://youtu.be/9COathwr-DI

E9B0FF16-DE36-415C-99BF-C072E3075535.jpg

Last edited:
Well done mate, did you not use launch control?

No, and I'm kicking myself. :fail

Experience says that on cold tyres and road it's slower than just rolling on the throttle from tickover. But as it got closer to 1pm I was able to go round robin with only 10 mins between runs so got some heat into the tyres and the track seemed better so maybe launch control would have given an advantage on the last run :dk:

Peter DLM said:
No, and I'm kicking myself. :fail Experience says that on cold tyres and road it's slower than just rolling on the throttle from tickover. But as it got closer to 1pm I was able to go round robin with only 10 mins between runs so got some heat into the tyres and the track seemed better so maybe launch control would have given an advantage on the last run :dk:

Should of used LC mate, remember Craig knocked off 0.6 off his time in the c63 using LC.

At least you still beat the M5, lol ;)

Last edited:
Bugger. :fail

We had fun today

Peter dropped me every single time in the big white beast, I credit the downpipes ;)

I went solo in the afternoon and managed to improve a bit, 12.29 and 124 terminal speed.

Seriously impressive launches from Peter and I need some practice !

Ha, it was indeed the down pipes you provided from your CLS that made the difference. :bannana:

Or maybe because I've been sprinting and drag racing bikes and cars all my life. I'm shocked how poor my reaction times are though, they were getting slower but the car takes so long to move compared to the bikes I used to race that all my timings on the tree were out.

So, we should go back when the weather makes the track difficult to walk across, fit new tyres at 20psi, and run some mid 11s. :rock:

Nice result with the 124mph terminals, shows power.

Reaction time 'could' be down to old age Peter lol!! ;)

I took my factory standard SLK55 AMG last year, only did 3 runs before I got bored, hehe.

Funny, my first run was my best run of the day, but my reaction times are ok. :p

Last edited:
Lol old age could very well be part of the reason :D

Reaction time was reducing every run as I was dialling myself in though. 0.4, still poor but heading in right direction. In my bike days it would always be a 0.0xx, mainly because that moved the same instant I flexed my left hand, the E63 took ages to react to the throttle.

Sounds like a good day and a good effort getting the better of a 770bhp m5! what were your 60ft's?

I was at crail a few weeks ago but could only manage a 12.9 @ 120.6mph having previously ran a 12.7 last summer, was in the low 13's all morning much to my annoyance until the last run of the day. i just could not match the starts i was getting the last time perhaps there is something to afternoon improvements after the track rubbering in or warming up as i got faster as the day went on the last time too. The surface is pretty horrific, coarse concrete/tarmac.

Be good to have a little quarter mile guide stating ideal tyre pressure and engine/gearbox modes for the different models etc

60fts on the timing slip in my original post. Best was the first run of the day weirdly which was 2.23. Very poor, but I have an open diff and old tyres.

120mph terminals? What power is your car running?

Last edited:
60fts on the timing slip in my original post. Best was the first run of the day weirdly which was 2.23. Very poor, but I have an open diff and old tyres.

120mph terminals? What power is your car running?

ah apologies, at work so all photobucket types are blocked, only saw your youtube link! yeah i was getting 2.4/5's against my mates 2.1's in a mod'd vxr8 and eventually got down to 2.29 on the last run but previously i was getting 2.2's all day guess the summer heat might have helped. I also have an open diff so didn't think there was much point doing burnouts before the start, maybe someone here can correct me on that though? I'm running standard ppp with gutted 2nd cat.

My first time at the pod
3 runs
Best 13.5 sec 108.5mph 1.16rt
Didn't use RS so I guess my RT let it down??
Still I enjoyed it good fun.:thumb:

My first time at the pod
3 runs
Best 13.5 sec 108.5mph 1.16rt
Didn't use RS so I guess my RT let it down??
Still I enjoyed it good fun.:thumb:

nah mate, rt doesn't effect your time, you could wait 10secs and still knock out 13.5 pass. the timer starts once you're moving

All this talk of 1/4 mile times I thought I'd dig out some of my old timings from when I used to race my Harley down the Long Marston Drag Strip.
That's a pain can't seem to do it anyway my best run was 13.17 seconds with a terminal speed of 97.

Last edited:
V8 Animal said:
My first time at the pod 3 runs Best 13.5 sec 108.5mph 1.16rt Didn't use RS so I guess my RT let it down?? Still I enjoyed it good fun.:thumb:

In what car? SL63 with the M156 engine?

In what car? SL63 with the M156 engine?

If it's the car I think then yes, a very nice black SL63 M156.

There was also somebody there in a well looked after silver SL55 which had a sort of SLR style nose who I'm not sure but may be a forum member.

There were a couple of C63s and a C350h that surprised a few people.

rsk21 said:
If it's the car I think then yes, a very nice black SL63 M156. There was also somebody there in a well looked after silver SL55 which had a sort of SLR style nose who I'm not sure but may be a forum member.

Hmm thought they would be quicker than that..

My baby AMG SLK55 managed 12.7@112mph.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom