WEP vs WPA (AES/TKIP)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alfie

Authorised Forum Sponsor
SUPPORTER
Car
W169 A, W205 C, R172 SLC, W447 vantastic
I have setup yet another wireless network and for this one I need the strongest form of encryption.

I have setup many of these so I know what I'm doing. However what I dont have a really good feel for is what is the most secure form of encryption to use. I've heard that WEP is weaker than WPA but does that depend on whether I adopt AES or TKIP?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Your're not the Surrey based agent of the CIA are you Alfie ? :eek:

Howard said:
Your're not the Surrey based agent of the CIA are you Alfie ? :eek:

Nope not me. I just need strong encryption for this one as its in an area where there are a few WiFi networks already and who knows who is out there! If I can see all theirs, then they can see mine! The client has a competitor nearby also so its got to be good!

I've figured out what to do (AES with the most indecipherable Random key imagineable), not that anyone bothered to post a reply! Oh well. Off home now, thats enough for today. ;)

Lol - if i knew anything about it, i would have posted a more sensible reply .... :rolleyes:

Glad you got it sorted mate !

Alfie said:
...I've figured out what to do (AES with the most indecipherable Random key imagineable), not that anyone bothered to post a reply! Oh well. Off home now, thats enough for today. ;)
It's been a busy day today :p but just to confirm your thoughts, I've also read (been told) that AES is the strongest form of wi-fi security currently available. It's also what I use on my own home wi-fi network (Actually I use Buffalo's own AOSS system which utilises AES).

S.

Steve_Perry said:
It's been a busy day today :p but just to confirm your thoughts, I've also read (been told) that AES is the strongest form of wi-fi security currently available. It's also what I use on my own home wi-fi network (Actually I use Buffalo's own AOSS system which utilises AES).

S.

Many thanks for the confirmation.

Alfie said:
Nope not me. I just need strong encryption for this one as its in an area where there are a few WiFi networks already and who knows who is out there! If I can see all theirs, then they can see mine! The client has a competitor nearby also so its got to be good!

I've figured out what to do (AES with the most indecipherable Random key imagineable), not that anyone bothered to post a reply! Oh well. Off home now, thats enough for today. ;)

What you really want to do is stop the AP from broadcasting its SID to anyone that asks... Then it will go dark and 99% of the local population won't even find it :) then you can encrypt away and it will be nice and safe in its own little world.

peterchurch said:
What you really want to do is stop the AP from broadcasting its SID to anyone that asks... Then it will go dark and 99% of the local population won't even find it :) then you can encrypt away and it will be nice and safe in its own little world.

I have, first thing I do.

I am amazed at how many people just dont bother with any encryption at all. Sitting at home last night I found four wireless networks in my immediate vicinity, one was mine, one was a secured one very near me (excellent signal strength) the other two were unsecured. I was able to connect to both and use their bandwidth easily. Its only the fact that I dont want them infecting my system that I dont bother to abuse it! and of course its not a decent thing to do. If I knew where they lived, i'd offer to secure them.

I might deploy another wireless router with the SSID of 'I can connect to Name1 name2 ' where name1 and name2 are the names of their networks. :eek:

So if you have done that, no one else should see the network and you shouldn't have an issue :) but yes you are right there are so many totally open networks around :) usefull if you need to get/send mail on the run though :)

WEP and WPA are both good, one is a bit better then the other, but if someone wants in bad enough, we can get in no problem. It may take a little longer if you use one type of security then the other, but the best security is not using wireless. Which I really dont think is a solution.

Todd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom