WEP Wireless Security

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
WEP has been out of date and insufficient for anyone who care for a long time.

Another good reminder though.

Yup, WEP is very dodgy - should use WPA.

Do you know if Macs' are wap compatible?

Though our pcs' were ok with wap, our daughter's mac could'nt get a connection. Can't remember if this was with both her mac desktop and/or her notebook.

I think the macs' should be compatible though she's going to have a play around with it over the weekend.

Thanks John

Its WPA (not wap). Yes MAC is compatible with WPA as we have a couple of mac users in the office and we use WPA here and they dont like connecting through cable (even if they have to transfer a 25gig movie)

Nim
PS: I mean OSX based Macs. I cannot say about OS 9 or earlier.

You mean WPA? Don't know about Macs, but my PS3 (which is running Linux I think) has no problem with it.

Its WPA (not wap). Yes MAC is compatible with WPA as we have a couple of mac users in the office and we use WPA here and they dont like connecting through cable (even if they have to transfer a 25gig movie)

Nim
PS: I mean OSX based Macs. I cannot say about OS 9 or earlier.

Sorry about the wap - thinking about something else.

John

On the Macs, make sure you have done the Airport upgrades (as part of the software upgrades). The older airport cards don't do WPA / WPA2 unless they have the updated firmware from these upgrades.

Andy.

use wpa (is now a vulnerable as it can be hacked but still difficult) but even better use wpa2, also if you know how to hide your network id (SSID) by selecting non broadcasting, this way you do not get people accidentately finding your wireless network (you do have to remember the exact network name to connect to it the first time, after that it will remember the network name and find it automatically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom